X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No more than a Tornado or F-15E.

Comment

I think he meant the escape pod :unsure
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

LOL, oh.....

Comment

How maneuverable was the F-4? Was it mainly an interceptor or was it a good dogfighter?
          "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Wow that is a good question and I dont know that as a crew chief I could give you a pilots answer. I dont think the F4 was an interceptor, at least not a long range fleet air defense type interceptor. I am sure it played an interceptors role though. It wasnt a particilarly good dogfighter either to my knowledge. I believe pilot training and superior US made missles were its assett. From what i understand the US actually had a pretty bad kill to loss ration in Vietnam. I dont know how many birds were lost in actuall air to air combat versus the number lost to enemy air defenses. However i believe the number lost to AAA would be greater considering the awesome amount of AAA encountered by our pilots. The Phantom played a big ground attack role though. Curiously enough, it was actually the F-100 Super Sabre that flew more missions in Vietnam than any aircraft bar none.
            "Now we shall have ourselves a pell mell battle!" ......The Immortal Memory, Admiral Nelson

Comment

The USAF had a 3:1 kill ratio. By the end of the war, the USN had a better than 10:1 kill ratio(Top gun was institued because of the poor early showing of USN pilots).

Comment

Speaking as a uneducated civ, I'll throw in my 2 cents uninvited (as usual).
                From what I am given to understand, the F-4 is not really a pure dogfighter like the F-15. The Phantom gives up a lot to it's air-to-ground capabilities. This is not to say that the F-4 is not a fearsome air-to-air machine, both in it's day and today. OK, it's no F-15 or Su-27 but neither is it something to be dismissed out of hand either. It's certainly in the twilight of it's career, hanging on with other air forces that have upgraded it's various systems.
                “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

It's almost as cool as the Hawg!
                  Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

I used to work Comm/Nav systems on the F-4D for the Guard. They used to say the F4 was proof that if you put enough power behind it even a brick can fly! It had good power from the engines and could carry a decent weapons load for its day. It also had a tough airframe compared to some other fighters of its era.

Comment

The F-4 was "The classic boom and zoom airframe", in the words of Mr Mudd.

It was concieved when everything needed to go mach 2, and everything needed to deliver tactical nukes against WP forces.

It should come as no shock then, that it is not exactly optimized as a dog fighter.

Mr Mudd states the turning radius of an F-4 is about twice the radius of an F-16.

Comment

Eh, pardon my ignorance, but who is Mr. Mudd? I like the way he talks :)

Comment

Mr Mudd is pilar of that glorious kingdom we call 'HAWGDOM'
                          "Now we shall have ourselves a pell mell battle!" ......The Immortal Memory, Admiral Nelson

Comment

SIGH The A-10 Hawg...how do I love thee?
                            I take that everybody has read that book on the Hog during Desert Storm? After hearing for years about those pointy-nosed fighters that go Mach-snot, I practically salivated over that book.

Comment

Mr Mudd is a former F-16 jockey, and weapons school instructor.

And a good guy to boot.

Comment

We don't hold his being a lawndart pilot against him. Which Hawg book are you talking about TopHatter?
                                Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Working...
                                X