Lca

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lca

Anybody know detailed information about this aircraft? How viable will it be as a fighter jet?
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Engine - US

Avionics - (French/Isreal/Indian)

Weapons - Israel

The LCA integrates modern design concepts like static instability, digital fly-by-wire flight control system, integrated avionics, glass cockpit, primary composite structure, multi-mode radar, microprocessor based utility and brake management systems.

Wing Span 8.20 m
    Length 13.20 m
    Empty Weight 5500 kg
    Engine - GE F404-F2J3 turbofan r
    Fuel Capacity Internal fuel capacity - 3000 liters
    Centerline and the two-inner hardpoints under each wing can carry five 800 liters fuel tanks
    also has an in-flight refuelling probe
    Maximum Range - 850 Kms
    Maximum Speed Mach 1.7
    Service Ceiling 50,000 feet.
    G Limits +9/-3.5
    Armament internally mounted GSh-23mm twin barrel gun with 220 rounds of ammunition
    Seven external hardpoints, can carry air-to-air missiles, air-to-surface missiles, anti-ship missiles, rocket launchers and ECM pods

Maximum External Stores Load 4000kg (8818 lbs.)
    Self Defence RWR system, jammer and chaff & flare dispensers

Comment

Maximum Range - 850 Kms
      850 km only ??? Is it ferry range or combat radius ?

Comment

?????

Its a lot more than that. I worked on LCA project...

Look at fas.org

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/row/lca.htm

Range is not shown. take the drop tanks off and you get fuel to travel 3000 kms...

It also has air to air refueling capability. Moreover 850km is more than enough to strike into pak, isn't it :)

Secondly US_NavySeals, GE404 engine is only for the first few prototypes and may be for the first couple squardrons. The following ones will use Kaveri engine and that will be universal engine for both navy and AF versions.

India has sucessfully finished the first major phase, and that is structural part of the aircraft and maneoverability. Next phase that is going on now, is weaponization. This part of it may involved a lot of classified stuff. Yes, it does use a lot of Israeli avionics, french and US components.
        __________________________________________________ ________
        US, India and Israel. Together we will defeat terrorism.
        I prefer communists to islamic terrorists, atleast I know where my enemy is!

Comment

How does it compare to the F-16 Block 60/62?

Comment

Here it is

Comparison between the F-16 and the LCA

LCA F16C/D block 50+

Length 13.20m 15.03m

Height
            4.40m 5.1m

Span 8.20m 10.0m

Max Speed 1700 Km/hr Mach 2.05

Max Weight 8500 kg 17010kg

Ceiling 16400m 16750m

Range 840km 1000km

Armament
            1 cannon & 7 hard points, ext load 4000 kg (LCA)
            1 cannon, 2 Sidewinders, ext load 4500 kg. (F-16)

Engines
            GEF404 F2J3, KAVERI GTX-35VS P&W F100-PW-220

Control Systems
            Quadruplex (Digital) FBW based on MIL STD 1553B Bus (LCA)
            Triplex DFCS with one Analog Backup on MIL STD 1553B Bus (F-16)

Except for speed and range, from specs it is superior. However like I said range can be extended by removing the drop tank weight. Speed, F-16 still has a slight advantage. That however is more useful in dog fights, but LCA overcomes that by being designed as more manoverable.

Comment

Do you think India will be buying more Military equipment from the US and less from Russia?

Comment

Well....

Well,,,, I am a technology person, I cant say about India's weapon deals. India surely would like to buy from US, but in India there is a common perception of US not being trustworthy. There is a basic difference between our culture and US. That is, India is a society based on moral values. US is a society based on intrests. We surely share a lot of things in common, but people here perceive that US cannot be trusted especially after applying sanctions for nuclear tests.

Russia is trustworthy and so is Israel, Infact in trouble, when we were fighting pakistan in kargil, Israel suppied us with equipment digging into her reserves. At the moment I think Indfa is careful with any major weapns deals with US, and most of the weapon deals with britian, france and israel India insists that they not use any major US components. However, I think India is more intrested in being self sufficient in defence and technology and partner with people who have same objectives with long term goals, not friendship based on intrests alone.

Comment

Russia is "trustworthy" because their economy has collapsed and they need your money. They aren't doing it for moral reasons.

Israel supported India because they are a surronded by a bunch of neo-fascist dictators that want to destroy them and they need any help and good will they can get.

The US has the same goals as India, end terrorism and deter any Chinese agression.

Comment

Range 840km 1000km
                    LCA's combat radius is 840kms. F-16s ferry range is 3900 kms (maybe more then 4000).

Comment

To Praxus

Praxus
                      You are right in your comment. I agree countries work based on intrest. I was talking about the general public sentiment, not how the government views foreign policy. I am sure the same is with american policy, peoplel might have a totally different point of voew compared to what the governemnt does. I guess that is something common in democracies.

What I think will bring a drastic change in relationship between the two is US opening technological doors for India, ie. Access to Hi-Tech technologu and India instead opening up her market for US goods. The market if open already but every item imported has a huge duty to be paid. This is actually happening.

What is in store for India?

India will have access to a whole range of technology to develop and improve various indutry sectors, space programs and uplift human standard of living.

What is in store for america?

American products in India. That means increase in manufacturing jobs and hi-tech jobs. Thats 1 billion people for commerce available. And 75% of them are above poverty line and a strong everyday growing 300+ million middle class population who are spending like never before.

Comment

You can't forget that India's population is going to be larger then China's in the upcoming years.

Comment

To Oqaab

I think Ferry range is 3900. 1000 was combat radius. I could br wrong, but I picked that up from internet.

Comment

To Praxus

Population is futuristic, May be or may not be. But what makes India more attractive and has over an edge with china is the democratic system and moreover, India byfar as one of the most open and transparent system in the world. You would not see a copy of GM or Ford cars in India unlike china. India is building corporations in global marketplace. China on the other hand lesser corporate sucessess that come from china. Source: fortune magazine.

But china cannot be ignored. Even with all the copyright problems in china, the global companies do not want to miss out the pie they can get from china. Infact, these are the only two countries in the world that can give massive growth opportunities to global companies.

Comment

Re: To Praxus

Originally posted by sam0001
                              Population is futuristic, May be or may not be. But what makes India more attractive and has over an edge with china is the democratic system and moreover, India byfar as one of the most open and transparent system in the world. You would not see a copy of GM or Ford cars in India unlike china. India is building corporations in global marketplace. China on the other hand lesser corporate sucessess that come from china. Source: fortune magazine.

But china cannot be ignored. Even with all the copyright problems in china, the global companies do not want to miss out the pie they can get from china. Infact, these are the only two countries in the world that can give massive growth opportunities to global companies.
                              India more attractive and has over an edge with china is the democratic system
                              yes you are right and more over we do not suppress civilians
                              t.sai ravi vasista
                              Bharat Mata Ki Jai

Comment

Working...
                              X