Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M21, need your help re: EP-3 Incident

Bill,

I've got an idiot on another board who's stating the Chinese got tons of info from the EP-3 harddrives from the EP-3 J-8 collison off the Chinese coast.

Since I am not navy nor privy to naval technologies, there are somethings I know to be hogwash. As far as I know, all systems are encrypted and decrypted real time using hard coded IC chips. Once those chips are smashed, it would be impossible to get any useful data off those hard drives.

I was under the impression that the Chinese got squat info from the down EP-3, certainly nothing more than a visual inspection.

Do you have anymore info?

My much appreciated thanks.

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
    Bill,

I've got an idiot on another board who's stating the Chinese got tons of info from the EP-3 harddrives from the EP-3 J-8 collison off the Chinese coast.

Since I am not navy nor privy to naval technologies, there are somethings I know to be hogwash. As far as I know, all systems are encrypted and decrypted real time using hard coded IC chips. Once those chips are smashed, it would be impossible to get any useful data off those hard drives.

I was under the impression that the Chinese got squat info from the down EP-3, certainly nothing more than a visual inspection.

I can ask Night Watch over at HPCA. That's pretty much up his alley. Gimme a day or two to get back to you with an answer.
    Last edited by Bill; 28 May 06,, 23:58.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
      I can ask Night Watch over at HPCA. That's pretty much up his alley. Gimme a day or two to get back to you with an answer.

Hehehehahahhaha, those damned word filters for nigh t wat ch. My thanks. There are times I do appreciate discovering a resource such as you. This is one of them.

Comment

Well I could give some solution.

Crew would start programs for multiple write over each HD clusters and than formated hard drives. Using this they would make very hard recovery of data, even if IC chips are working. Also I belive there is some short circle system to fry electornics.
        This is what I would do on my PC if I want it get in wrong hands.

P.S. What data would Chinese get it was their coast which was spying. ]

Comment

Originally posted by SRB
          Among many, many things, they would know exactly how much data the U.S. could collect on their coast (or anywhere else for that matter).
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter
            Among many, many things, they would know exactly how much data the U.S. could collect on their coast (or anywhere else for that matter).
            I was joking.

Comment

Originally posted by SRB
              If you know what your enemy is looking for and where they are looking, you know what to hide and where not to hide it.

Comment

Isn't it a coincident that an airline pilot made a positive ID of an US P3 over the South China Sea and reported to the Hong Kong ATC before the EP-3 incident? I believed an letter of complaint was made by the Hong Kong Civil Aviation Department to the US Ambassy regarding the operations of airplane, civil/military, in Class A airspace. I also read a letter made by the US (which department I don't remember) to assure the Hong Kong CAD that all operations will be flown at VFR levels to avoid civil traffic, blah blah blah. But due to the nature of the operations, no further details were provided. Of course no flight plans for us controllers.

The EP-3 was a well known UFO for controllers in Hong Kong. The time and tracks of the UFO were well documented as insisted by management prior to the positive ID.

Comment

If the Onboard crew took a mini hatchet to their HDD and electronics gee, that would ruin any attempts to read off them.

Max Chinese can learn is unit level system design of onboard equipment, and subcomponents, which they can reverse engineer

But frankly, its easier to make your own stuff, and its not like tjhat they dont have PHDs doing this day in and nigt out
                  Karmani Vyapurutham Dhanuhu

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
                    Bill,

Can you pst his comments also please?

Much appreciated
                    Karmani Vyapurutham Dhanuhu

Comment

I rather not. The forum was made by a few really, really nice guys but they've got no military expertise aside from reading books. A few downright idiots in suggesting the Chinese are on par with the Americans; spouting about 100s of 1000s of elite Chinese troops ready to storm the beaches of Taiwan and that the Type-99 is the equal of the M1A2SEP and the SU-27 can blast F-15s and F-16s from the sky and SILKWORM missiles will sink CVBGs left right and centre and that the Chinese $7trillion PPP dollar economy is bigger than the US's during Normandy. Just not worth the ulcer.

Extremely funny thing was that one idiot suggested that I sign up to China-Defense.com to read up on the PPP thing. Dumb jerk didn't know I was one of the founders and moderators. I know more about CDF than he ever would.

Comment

Lee Kuan Yew smacked the Chinese leadership down over this. He told them as much that they had done such a job of fostering hate about other countries and pride in their own Chinese superiority in the mainland youth that protests about Japan rapidly degenerated into violence, so why be surprised?

These youth are the biggest possible reason the world would go to war in a few decades.

Comment

The protests against Japan is not a good example. Seoul and Taipei demonstrations were just as vile and just as violent.

Comment

Well, Mr Lee only mentioned this. However, the Chinese protests were shocking to the leadership because they were "out of control", in so far as there was more than a whiff of orchestration about it in the beginning.

Comment

I agree that the CCP let loose a monster that they had no idea about but the hatre of the Japanese is raw and spreads through out East Asia. The Americans recently got the Japanese to agree to intervene in case of a Mainland attack on Taiwan. Taiwan's reaction was that they neither wanted nor need Japan's help ... but they do need American friendship. If there is one scenario to unite both the Mainland and Taiwan is supposed Japanese aggression.

Comment

Working...
                              X