SU-47 Berkut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SU-47 Berkut

Can anyone give me any information on this aircraft? I heard it's being developed jointly by Russia and India and plans to go into production by 2010.

They're only tech demonstators i doubt they will get off the lines anytime soon.

Comment

I think it's being developed into the PAK-FA, and it will have a conventional wing design instead of the forward sweep. And yeah the Berkhut was a tech demonstrator, the finished product (if it ever does go into production, although there definately will be a market for it) will be pretty different. And no way it comes into being by 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by -{SpoonmaN}-
        I think it's being developed into the PAK-FA, and it will have a conventional wing design instead of the forward sweep. And yeah the Berkhut was a tech demonstrator, the finished product (if it ever does go into production, although there definately will be a market for it) will be pretty different. And no way it comes into being by 2010.
        THe PAK FA's funding is way too low I doubt it will ever get off the ground.

Comment

Although the Russian aircraft was build as a testbed for developing fifth-generation technologies, in May 2002 Sukhoi was selected as prime contractor for the next-generation Russian PAK FA fighter programme. Although the SU-47 will be used for the PAK AF program, the design of it will probably be very different.

The Su-47 has extremely high agility at subsonic speeds, enabling the aircraft to alter its angle of attack and its flight path very quickly. It also retains it's high manoeuvrability in supersonic flight.

Maximum turn rates and the upper and lower limits on air speed for weapon launch are important criteria in terms of combat superiority. The Su-47 aircraft has very high levels of manoeuvrability with maintained stability and controllability at all angles of attack.
          Maximum turn rates are important in close combat and also at medium and long range, when a mission may involve engaging consecutive targets in different sectors of the airspace.

The high turn rate of the Su-47 allows the pilot to turn the fighter aircraft quickly towards the next target to initiate the weapon launch. The swept-forward wing, compared to a swept-back wing of the same wing area, provides a number of advantages: higher lift to drag ratio; higher capacity in dogfight manoeuvres; higher range at subsonic speed; improved stall resistance and anti-spin characteristics; improved stability at high angles of attack; a lower minimum flight speed; and a shorter take-off and landing distance.

The SU-47's initial engine, the Saturn-Lulka Al-41F thrust vectoring engine was scarcely available, they were reserved for Mikoyan's Article 1.42 tests.
          The final engine, the Al-37FU uses fuel instead of hydraulic liquid to drive the nozzles, and can be operated in two modes, automatic and manual. In automatic more, the axi-symmetric nozzles are controlled by the digital fly-by-wire flight control system (FCS).

Although the SU-47 was first seen as a demonstrator program it plays an important role in the PAK FA program, which is funded by India. Based on the SU-47, the Sukhoi PAK FA prototype is expected to begin flight testing no later than the end of 2007.

Comment

Maneuverability
            The Su-47 has extremely high agility at subsonic speeds enabling the aircraft to alter its angle of attack and its flight path very quickly, and it also retains maneuverability in supersonic flight.

Maximum turn rates and the upper and lower limits on air speed for weapon launch are important criteria in terms of combat superiority. The Su-47 aircraft has very high levels of maneuverability with maintained stability and controllability at all angles of attack.

Maximum turn rates are important in close combat and also at medium and long range, when the mission may involve engaging consecutive targets in different sectors of the airspace. A high turn rate of the Su-47 allows the pilot to turn the fighter aircraft quickly towards the next target to initiate the weapon launch.

The swept-forward wing, compared to a swept-back wing of the same area, provides a number of advantages: higher lift to drag ratio; higher capacity in dogfight maneuvers; higher range at subsonic speed; improved stall resistance and anti-spin characteristics; improved stability at high angles of attack; a lower minimum flight speed; and a shorter take-off and landing distance

Comment

Originally posted by sukhoi
              ....Based on the SU-47, the Sukhoi PAK FA prototype is expected to begin flight testing no later than the end of 2007.[/B]
              ROFLMAO.

Grim reaper- suggest you browse the back threads on this one...
              "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Originally posted by sukhoi
                Although the SU-47 was first seen as a demonstrator program it plays an important role in the PAK FA program, which is funded by India. Based on the SU-47, the Sukhoi PAK FA prototype is expected to begin flight testing no later than the end of 2007.
                Hurry up, because I imagine some guys are getting hungry...

http://www.langley.af.mil/demoteam/i...e%20Flight.jpg
                HD Ready?

Comment

Originally posted by highsea
                  ROFLMAO.

Grim reaper- suggest you browse the back threads on this one...
                  Dude what do mean.
                  Fifth generation Russian fighter plane to be ready in 2007

MOSCOW, January 17 (RIA Novosti) - Russia's fifth-generation fighter plane will be ready in 2007, Commander-in-Chief of the Russian Air Force Vladimir Mikhailov said Tuesday.

"Work to build the fifth-generation plane is going according to schedule," he said.

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20060117/43040596.html

Comment

The link is not working Fencer..

Comment

LOL!!!! You know how low the funding is not to mention if you look at it it has shaping problems as well.

Comment

Last public release I read from the Russian defence department had the PAK FA in development until 2015 or so.

Thats according to their own estimates.

Comment

Does the Russian military have enough money to even buy Su-30MKI's right now? I think they are just concentrating on updating their current planes like the Tu-160.

Comment

Originally posted by JCSVT
                            Does the Russian military have enough money to even buy Su-30MKI's right now? I think they are just concentrating on updating their current planes like the Tu-160.
                            They do have the money but they have more critical equipment that needs to be replaced first. I imagine it will be sometime before they replace their fighter fleet. Most of their high end stuff is for foreign sales.

This is all contingent on oil prices remaining high though.

Comment

When the rpice of crude oil drops Russia's economy declines and vice versa. Bush will rproably go to his Saudi friends to have them increase production. ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X