• Show
Clear All

• hello
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain Drunk
    Here the thing in actual flight :

http://www.studenten.net/customasp/a..._id=475&page=0

The Aeromodel :

This does have wings, so its now believable that it can fly.

Leave a comment:

• Bill
    replied
    Dropping live ordnance on them would be more fun.

Leave a comment:

• leib10
    replied
    Originally posted by KPR
    The Stuka wins, just because it would be such fun (and so naughty) to perform fake dive bombing runs on anti-war protestors.
    Complete with the sirens? I don't think anything would be more fun.

Leave a comment:

• jgetti
    replied
    Originally posted by M21Sniper
    It's always annoyed me that they never at least did a merlin powered Lightning prototype.

That woulda sure been something. :)
    Well, they did do something similar with the F-4U Corsair. They swapped out the R2800 18-cylinder engine for the R4360 28-cylinder 3000 hp engine and called it the F2G Super Corsair, nicknamed the Kamakasi Killer. Unfortunately, none saw active duty before the war ended,, they could have really helped out in the pacific theater. Check out the beak on this bird. Because the nose wasn't long enough to begin with!

Leave a comment:

• Bill
    replied
    Originally posted by hello
    Horrido: Sorry, Hello, tried to respond and hit "edit" instead. I think I've restored it.
    LOL!

I do that at WT all the time....

Leave a comment:

• Bill
    replied
    Sort of like the Spitfire.........ultimate delivery is unlikely. ;)
    (inside joke)

Leave a comment:

• Horrido
    replied
    Originally posted by -{SpoonmaN}-
    I remember reading that the USSR was quite into that sort of tech in the 70s, they were doing studies into building a design that could carry something like 500 troops at very high speeds. Kinda sounds like their nuclear powered aircraft projects, ie. a pipe dream.

Actually, the designs were quite successful, and most likely would have worked fairly well had they gone into practice. The problems the WIG aircraft faced were political, not technical, as the designer had a very capitalist mindset and was hated by the government.

The US is currently exploring the research and design of giant WIG aircraft as fast transports. I find their construction highly unlikely due to costs, however.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Drunk
    replied
    Can that thing really fly?Where are its wings?
    Here the thing in actual flight :

http://www.studenten.net/customasp/a..._id=475&page=0

The Aeromodel :

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Horrido
    I believe it's a wing-in-ground-effect aircraft, so it doesn't fly very high. Used for skimming across water and flat ground at low altitude.
    I remember reading that the USSR was quite into that sort of tech in the 70s, they were doing studies into building a design that could carry something like 500 troops at very high speeds. Kinda sounds like their nuclear powered aircraft projects, ie. a pipe dream.

Leave a comment:

• Horrido
    replied
    Here's a website with intact photos:

http://www.ctrl-c.liu.se/misc/ram/vva-14.html

Leave a comment:

• Horrido
    replied

I believe it's a wing-in-ground-effect aircraft, so it doesn't fly very high. Used for skimming across water and flat ground at low altitude.

Leave a comment:

• Horrido
    replied
    On the P-38-issue, I'd like to put C-130 engines in it, and swap-out the guns for a .50 gatling and small radar gunsight. OUCH!

Could've sworn I had pictures of a Merlin Lightning somewhere. They were thinking about putting them on floats.

Leave a comment:

• hello
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain Drunk
    I'd choose this aircraft, cos it would make me feel like Han Solo in STAR WARS lol

The Russian Beriev Bartini VVA 14 :

Horrido: Sorry, Hello, tried to respond and hit "edit" instead. I think I've restored it.
    Last edited by Horrido; 01 Mar 06,, 08:15.

Leave a comment:

• Bill
    replied
    Originally posted by gunnut
    The Fork Tailed Devil.

I wonder what would happen if we swapped out those 2 Allisons for 2 Merlins...
    It's always annoyed me that they never at least did a merlin powered Lightning prototype.

That woulda sure been something. :)

Ironically, the next unused variant model for the P-38 would've been "M". I guess it was just too obvious?

LOL...

If i could have anyone aircraft and maintenance/fueling costs were not an issue, i think i'd have to go with a stripped F-16C Block32 GE "Big mouth" Falcon.

The ultimate lightweight hotrod.
    Last edited by Bill; 01 Mar 06,, 05:46.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I'd go for a B-2, so I could sell it to China and be a Billionaire.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X