What Military Aircraft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KPR
    If I could have any aircraft, it would be a Ju-87 Stuka.

They're just that cool.
    Actually, you can buy a four-fifths scale kit and build your own that actually flies. Of course, it's only a single seat but from the proper angle and distance they look like the originals.

One is on display in the Air Museum in San Diego, California. It is hanging quite high up from the ceiling so it looks full size.

Also, if my memory is correct, a couple of the kit-built single seat Stukas were used in making the movie "Battle of Britain".
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

As to my personal choice, I'm too old to take the G forces of a fighter plane and I would just want something to get me around that didn't use too much fuel.

So I would pick the Cessna Skymaster. It was a twin-boomed, twin-engine (one pull prop and one pusher), high-winged airplane that can carry up to four people. They were used in Viet Nam as spotting planes and once in a while some were equipped with machineguns for general strafing.

I used to fly small single-engine Cessnas but was always impressed with the Skymaster. I was offered once to fly a P-51 Mustang. But I had to decline because the offer was only good if I topped of the fuel tanks after landing and my credit union wouldn't cover a loan for that much.
      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship
        Actually, you can buy a four-fifths scale kit and build your own that actually flies. Of course, it's only a single seat but from the proper angle and distance they look like the originals.

One is on display in the Air Museum in San Diego, California. It is hanging quite high up from the ceiling so it looks full size.

Also, if my memory is correct, a couple of the kit-built single seat Stukas were used in making the movie "Battle of Britain".
        That is awesome! And sounds expensive.

Comment

This because it's a badassed ************

And this because, well, it's just beautiful

In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

I've gotta agree with the bent-wing bird. F-4U is my alltime favorite WWII aircraft. If you're talking jets, YF-23 no contest.

Last edited by jgetti; 16 Feb 06,, 18:55.

Comment

I'd choose this aircraft, cos it would make me feel like Han Solo in STAR WARS lol

The Russian Beriev Bartini VVA 14 :

Comment

The Fork Tailed Devil.

I wonder what would happen if we swapped out those 2 Allisons for 2 Merlins...
                Attached Files
                "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

You could chase down my Stuka?

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut
                    The Fork Tailed Devil.

Your wings would tear off?
                    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Maybe. But didn't some smartass think it was a good idea to swap out the Allison in the Mustang for the Merlin? I mean the damn thing barely worked after that...
                      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

I'd go for a B-2, so I could sell it to China and be a Billionaire.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut
                          The Fork Tailed Devil.

It's always annoyed me that they never at least did a merlin powered Lightning prototype.

That woulda sure been something. :)

Ironically, the next unused variant model for the P-38 would've been "M". I guess it was just too obvious?

LOL...

If i could have anyone aircraft and maintenance/fueling costs were not an issue, i think i'd have to go with a stripped F-16C Block32 GE "Big mouth" Falcon.

The ultimate lightweight hotrod.
                          Last edited by Bill; 01 Mar 06,, 05:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Drunk
                            I'd choose this aircraft, cos it would make me feel like Han Solo in STAR WARS lol

The Russian Beriev Bartini VVA 14 :

Can that thing really fly?Where are its wings?

Horrido: Sorry, Hello, tried to respond and hit "edit" instead. I think I've restored it.
                            Last edited by Horrido; 01 Mar 06,, 08:15.

Comment

On the P-38-issue, I'd like to put C-130 engines in it, and swap-out the guns for a .50 gatling and small radar gunsight. OUCH!

Could've sworn I had pictures of a Merlin Lightning somewhere. They were thinking about putting them on floats.
                              The black flag is raised: Ban them all... Let the Admin sort them out.

I know I'm going to have the last word... I have powers of deletion and lock.

Comment

Originally posted by hello
                                Can that thing really fly?Where are its wings?

I believe it's a wing-in-ground-effect aircraft, so it doesn't fly very high. Used for skimming across water and flat ground at low altitude.
                                The black flag is raised: Ban them all... Let the Admin sort them out.

I know I'm going to have the last word... I have powers of deletion and lock.

Comment

Working...
                                X