Propulsion development...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propulsion development...

Jet engines have come a long way in the past three decades. Thrust vectoring, super-cruise, increased reliability and efficiency in output and production designs. Who initiated and developed what, when?
    The black flag is raised: Ban them all... Let the Admin sort them out.

I know I'm going to have the last word... I have powers of deletion and lock.

Here’s something about India’s hypersonic plane, ISRO believes will drastically cut costs of carrying a load to space at about $ 500 to $ 1000 per kg, as against the current costs of $ 12,000 to $ 15,000 per kg.

http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1006793

Considering I’m only around 47 kg, that means a once-in-a-lifetime Space adventure’s gonna be pretty affordable for me……I've got a ticket to ride whoo hoo !

Comment

Okay, digging up some stuff from a previous thread...

Originally posted by Horrido
      Thrust vectoring has been used in US aircraft since the Harrier, and in the form of the Flanker-series, we have done it with the F-15 in tests since the mid-1980's. When did Sukhoi start? Again, we chose NOT to use it, seeing little tactical advantage considering the expense of installation and maintenance.

Originally posted by RUSKY
      Yet you suddenly rethought that with F-22, give yourself a break, you not making any sense.
      No, what I meant is that there was no point in installing them in then-currently in production designs or those aircraft already in service (F-14, F-15, F-16, F/A-18). Why spend money enhancing old designs soon to be replaced by the future ATF and programs leading to the JSF? No potential opponents had such aircraft in service, so there was no need to spend money to have that kind of edge. With the export of the Su-30MK-series aircraft, that situation has changed, and TV can certainly be a deciding factor in close-in engagements, especially under restrictive rules of engagement requiring visual ID.

Comment

I'm not so sure about that anymore with the fielding of AIM-9X.

TV or no, no aircraft can turn as fast as a pilot can 'look'.

HOBS missiles may finally once and for all render the super-agile fighter not obsolete, but superflous.

Comment

The main advantage of TVC is in supersonic manouverability. You can turn harder without bleeding off airspeed due to deflected control surfaces, which means you retain more energy in the manouver. If the AC has an adaptive FBW system, it can be a big help in bring a damaged AC home.

As Snipe said, HOBS heaters pretty much negate any big advantage TVC offers in the WVR arena.
          "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Hehehe, not only is avionics now the most important factor in BVR, but also in WVR. Avionics seems to be the most important part of the aircraft now, for well a combat aircraft at least. ;)

Comment

I was leaning more towards gun duels or instances where HOBS missiles weren't available, but since I've been a little slow of late, thank you for the previous GLARING points I should have picked up on, as well. lol

Comment

Working...
              X