Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JG73
    replied
    Norway to Back out of F-35 JSF Over Industrial Share?

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/...hare/index.php

Leave a comment:

• Bill
    replied
    Originally posted by Defcon 6
    It makes perfect sense. We make money for every unit we export. Thats the reason we export the M1 tank to Egypt. To make money.
    Egypt has it's own M-1 factory.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
    *** SNORTGFFFT *** Yeah, right, you believe that? I can't even remember the last time we retired a piece of kit on time.
    Does anyone get to retire their gear on time these days? Well China do when they realise how god-aweful designs like the J-8 are, but Australia is still flying F-111s.

Leave a comment:

• canoe
    replied
    *** SNORTGFFFT *** Yeah, right, you believe that? I can't even remember the last time we retired a piece of kit on time.
    lol, well thats what they say. The seakings are still flying so yes I'd take that with a grain of salt.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by canoe
    The CF expects the operational aircraft with the upgrades to last until 2020.

Leave a comment:

• canoe
    replied
    The CF-18s are going through a mid-life upgrade right now (over half are done, I believe), piggying backing on the USN mid-life upgrade program for their F-18s. So, you're looking at least another 15 years of service before we need another bird at the earliest.

There's also talk at Air Command that the JSF may not be the bird we want. The SUPER HORNET looks really good right now. However, that's at least 15-20 years down the line and by that time, the entire situation would have changed.
    Most of the CF-18s are being upgraded yes but were losing some every few years due to maintence issues. I'm not sure what the flight hours on our air frames are but I'd imagine their pretty high. We have about 19,600 air force personnel (not sure on the exact number of pilots) and about 81 operational CF-18's out of 115 we bought. The CF expects the operational aircraft with the upgrades to last until 2020.

Leave a comment:

• indianguy4u
    replied
    Originally posted by JG73
    Level 1 (5,1%) UK
    Level 2 (2,5%) Italy
    Level 2 (2,0%) Netherlands
    Level 3 (0,4%) Turkey
    Level 3 (0,4%) Australia
    Level 3 (0,3%) Norway
    Level 3 (0,3%) Denmark
    Level 3 (0,2%) Canada
    What! No spain, germany.

I think the denmark govt did the most intelligent thing. Grippen would suit it needs & JSF would surely have been a over kill & painfully expensive.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    The CF-18s are going through a mid-life upgrade right now (over half are done, I believe), piggying backing on the USN mid-life upgrade program for their F-18s. So, you're looking at least another 15 years of service before we need another bird at the earliest.

There's also talk at Air Command that the JSF may not be the bird we want. The SUPER HORNET looks really good right now. However, that's at least 15-20 years down the line and by that time, the entire situation would have changed.

Leave a comment:

• tphuang
    replied
    No. Canada is only level 3 partner.
    I thought Australia gets the same clearance as UK and it's only a level 3 partner.

Leave a comment:

• canoe
    replied
    I think the issue for alot of nations is the time its taking to get the JSF to production. I know the Canadian CF-18's are nearing the point where we'll need to start replacing some of them, athough thats certainly not the only peice of equipment we need to replace nore is it currently the most pressing.

But it comes down to the JSF delayed and late, and its over budget. Alot of the countries in the project can easily make do with cheaper less capable fighters. Keep in mind while a project going billions over budget is not a problem for the U.S military given its budget. For smaller countries with small military budgets having the fighter end up costing 20% or more then expected becomes a big problem.

While I don't think the cheaper aircraft will be a match for the JSF alot of the smaller countries in the project don't actually need something as sophisticated as the JSF right now anyway. If if their needs change they can always just buy them later on.

Leave a comment:

• The_Burning_Kid
    replied
    Level 1 (5,1%) UK
    Level 2 (2,5%) Italy
    Level 3 (0,4%) Turkey
    Level 3 (0,4%) Australia
    Level 3 (0,3%) Norway
    Level 3 (0,3%) Denmark
    Level 3 (0,2%) Canada
    Hey what's the number before the percentage? Is the percentage the amount of money they have invested in comparison to the total amount invested by all nations?

Leave a comment:

• JG73
    replied
    Level 1 (5,1%) UK
    Level 2 (2,5%) Italy
    Level 3 (0,4%) Turkey
    Level 3 (0,4%) Australia
    Level 3 (0,3%) Norway
    Level 3 (0,3%) Denmark
    Level 3 (0,2%) Canada

Leave a comment:

• JG73
    replied
    Originally posted by tphuang
    Btw, does anyone know if Canada is getting the full spec version of F-35? I read that only the British and Australians are getting it, but I thought Canada has the highest defense clearance too.
    No. Canada is only level 3 partner.

Leave a comment:

• The_Burning_Kid
    replied
    Originally posted by Defcon 6
    It makes perfect sense. We make money for every unit we export. Thats the reason we export the M1 tank to Egypt. To make money.
    Sorry to break it to you but, just exporting a unit to gain money is hardly what the US is looking for. Were basically giving away stuff that we spent our money on developing for a fraction of the cost.

considering that UK just wants one of the 3 versions. It's actually investing quite a huge portion of that one block. Do you not think that a partner that invests in 25% of one of the blocks deserves to at least ask for ToT of that block?
    From what I hear, the UK is buying two versions, F-35A/B. So no. Like I said before, why should the UK gain technology that we spent money on that they get for a fraction of the cost? That makes as much sense as saying that if two people are buying a house and one guy pays 90% of the price tag and the other guy pays 10%, the guy that pays 10% should have ownership of half the house.

Leave a comment:

• tphuang
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Burning_Kid
    I honestly don't agree with US giving UK all that stuff. Does this make sense:

We pay most of the funds and development costs (and we do) and then the guys that don't pay anywhere as much as us wants the technology that our dollars were used to develop for their own use so that their home companies get to upgrade their aircrafts so that Lockheed doesn't get to upgrade their aircrafts? No that doesn't make any sense unless your mental.
    considering that UK just wants one of the 3 versions. It's actually investing quite a huge portion of that one block. Do you not think that a partner that invests in 25% of one of the blocks deserves to at least ask for ToT of that block?

Btw, does anyone know if Canada is getting the full spec version of F-35? I read that only the British and Australians are getting it, but I thought Canada has the highest defense clearance too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X