X-555 Criuise Missile: Russia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lurker
    I just used to read space forums in time (and after) Columbia disaster.
    Everybody was complaining that in will be difficult now to get financing for anything that looks like Shuttle.
    True, there's no Space Race any longer, no Cold War competitiveness, they've had two Shuttle disasters, and it's not unreasonable that Americans simply want to sit down and prosper.

p.s. What reusable crafts are you taking about? From what I've seen - for example about US new Moon programm, they all looks like oversized Apollo's.
    Crew Exploration Vehicle... I think.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...G=Search&meta=

I think you should have explained it more then.
    Perhaps. ;)

My opinion is that Shuttles (all) are too complicated and expensive to build and maintain even today for ANY country.
    The US has done it for almost three decades. A fleet of them, even.

Maybe for some time it "was" a success, but all it's failures set the WHOLE space developmen back, by descrediting the reusable craft idea for the public.
    To some extent, yes.
    HD Ready?

Comment

Originally posted by lurker
      I just used to read space forums in time (and after) Columbia disaster.
      Everybody was complaining that in will be difficult now to get financing for anything that looks like Shuttle.

p.s. What reusable crafts are you taking about? From what I've seen - for example about US new Moon programm, they all looks like oversized Apollo's.
      I think the issue was more to do with NASA then the shuttles specificly. They performed reasonably well for the time they've been in service, they have their faults but for a first attempt at a reusable space plane they weren't that bad.

I think NASA's problem is its not making any practical case for manned space flight. Alot of what is done up there can be done with cheaper unmanned vehicles. The only really unique research being done that requires humans be up there is studying the effects of being in space on the human body.

NASA needs to establish clear, realistic near-term goals. They keep making all these extreme long-term plans for things in the future that the present day politics make impossible to carry out. They need to set goals they can actually accomplish that have immediate and short term returns.

An immediate priority for them should be getting a replacement spacecraft designed and built. They need to get this done as soon as possible not 10 years down the road. A realistic time period for them if they're reusing previously deployed spacecraft technoligy should be like 3-5 years. If this requires they dump the current shuttles to reallocate funding then they need to do that.

Comment

Working...
      X