X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dima
    LOL

well, it is a TOW, wire-guided

"Of course Fermi-Lab can accelerate atoms at 99.995% the speed of light. My dad worked there once."

are you absolutely sure of this, because light travels at 186,000 miles per second, or 300,000 kilometres per second, so that's an insane speed

if that is true, that's some pretty sick ****

i was reading something on another site, and now i can't find it, so armour such as Chobham armour is "passive" armour? and ERA is "active" armour, or the other way around, i forgot, thanks
    Reactive armor is actually considered passive - it requires a missile/RPG to hit it first. I'll find the info on the current active "armor" systems and post it.

By the way, the atom acceleration is true. It requires a lot of energy, i.e. mass x velocity, to split the atom. The accelerator to do this is huge (miles long). Europe is building one in Switzerland now. Very expensive.
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Here's some info on the active armor.

http://www.defense-update.com/products/t/trophy.htm

Also, here's some info on electric armor, which is passive.

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/11ground/ford.pdf#search=
      http://www.ionatron.com/
      http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/050316/165475_1.html
      "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Time of flight (TOF) for 3000 meters is 18 seconds.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...23-34/Appg.htm

Snipe, BTW, the LOSAT is technically not a TOW (Tube launched, Optically tracked, Wire guided). Good to hear that it will be compatible with existing TOW hammerheads. That will make the Bradley and Stryker ATGMs much more effective. Maybe a SBCT can with the TF Smith battle now!

Of course, the LOSAT has been put to sleep (funding stopped, but the program wasn't cancelled). Anybody know if there is a replacement system on the drawing board, or is the IR TOW where the money is going to?

Comment

This new TOW missile i started the thread about is not the same program as LOSAT. It falls under the CKEM program.

LOSAT needed it's own special launcher, and was a very large missile.

This new HATM missile works in all TOW launch systems, but still has an overmatch capability against existing tanks. There's not a tank in the world that could withstand a hit from it.

The new TOW is called the "Hypervelocity Anti-Tank Missile" (HATM), and is not related to the LOSAT program at all.

It has dual IIR/MMW guidance and uses the TOW ITAS improved guidance system.
          http://p203.ezboard.com/ffightersand...picID=39.topic

Here's another link with info about the HATM TOW missile.
          http://www.armada.ch/02-6/complete_02-6.pdf

Some excerpts: The HATM is a part of the program known as the CKEM.
          The HATM has a range of 5000 meters.
          The development program began in 2003, and is expected to be completed in 2007, with deliveries to begin in 2008.
          The HATM/CKEM is expected to be the primary direct fire armament of FCS.
          The HATM/CKEM is expected to produce 10 megajoules of impact energy(vs 7 and change for the M-829A3 APFSDSDU round of the M-1A2 120mm gun.)
          HATM accelerates to it's max velocity(over Mach 6.6) in 750 meters.

Last edited by Bill; 24 Apr 05,, 16:56.

Comment

wow

Comment

That picture almost looks like it was mostly computer-generated. But nowadays, it's hard to tell.
              10 million joules... Ouch.

Comment

That picture is from Raytheon.

It's the real deal.

Comment

Sweet.

Comment

1.21 gigawatts?!?!

Cool. Now I understand why LOSAT went away.

Comment

Explosives will always prevail against electricity.

Comment

Originally posted by highsea
                        He's almost correct. The Tevatron at Fermilab accelerates packets of protons to 1 TeV (~0.9999995 C). So it's 99.99995% of light speed, and it's just protons, not whole atoms (the electrons are stripped off before the protons are injected into the accelerator).

Incidentally, it can do the same thing with antiprotons, reversing their direction in the ring and slamming them into the protons going the other direction. It makes for some interesting collisions.

ERA= explosive reactive armor, i.e. "active".
                        wow, so, are you telling me that the protons will go at 186,000 miles/300,000 kilometres per second?

i thought that travelling at light speed was theoretically impossible

so, what will this accelerator be used for?

10 million Joules, are you serious, my God, what have we done
                        for MOTHER MOLDOVA

Comment

We never said it traveled at the speed of light. And what happened to the neutrons? Fermilab basically looks for further subatomic particles i.e. "what are quarks made of?". They accelerate subatomic particles and smash them into each other, and look at the picutures of the explosion.

Comment

Originally posted by shek
                            Time of flight (TOF) for 3000 meters is 18 seconds.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...23-34/Appg.htm

Snipe, BTW, the LOSAT is technically not a TOW (Tube launched, Optically tracked, Wire guided). Good to hear that it will be compatible with existing TOW hammerheads. That will make the Bradley and Stryker ATGMs much more effective. Maybe a SBCT can with the TF Smith battle now!

Of course, the LOSAT has been put to sleep (funding stopped, but the program wasn't cancelled). Anybody know if there is a replacement system on the drawing board, or is the IR TOW where the money is going to?
                            Since the JCM program was canned the TOW appears to be the only heavy ATGM for ground forces for the next several years or so.

Comment

This hypervelocity HATM TOW is NOT, repeat NOT, part of the LOSAT program.

It falls under the CKEM program, and is still being funded.
                              (go back one page and check my last post on page 1, i posted a lot of details about the HATM/CKEM).

Comment

When this is fielded, will it eventually replace the tank gun?

Comment

Working...
                                X