No announcement yet.

Merkava vs Abrams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Israelis don't have the staying power to win a slugfest. They do have the firepower but not the staying power. For one thing, they don't have enough oil reserves.

Comment

Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
      Israelis don't have the staying power to win a slugfest. They do have the firepower but not the staying power. For one thing, they don't have enough oil reserves.
      Good point, although Israel has certainly prepared for it.

Trying to find a source on Israel's domestic strategic oil reserves is (for good reason) maddeningly difficult.

Wiki has a single unsourced comment "As of 1975 Israel is believed to have a strategic oil reserve equal to 270 days of consumption."
      Of course in wartime that would evaporate in a matter of months.

On other other side of the coin:

"According to the 1975 Sinai Interim Agreement signed by the United States and Israel as a precondition for Israel's return of the Sinai Peninsula and its associated oil reserves to Egypt, in an emergency the U.S. is obligated to make oil available for sale to Israel for up to 5 years"

Their stocks of ordnance are also a potential Achilles Heel as well...except that the U.S. would almost certainly stage "Nickel Grass II" in a hot minute.
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
        Their stocks of ordnance are also a potential Achilles Heel as well...except that the U.S. would almost certainly stage "Nickel Grass II" in a hot minute.
        There are going to be problems.

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
        Something was bugging me about this and then it struck me, the US cannot take care of her treaty obligations and Israel at the same time. Hell, we were running out of ammo for Libya. Imagine the US fighting North Korea and having to supply Israel at the same time.

For better or for worst, NATO comes first, Israel comes second.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
          Good point, although Israel has certainly prepared for it.

Trying to find a source on Israel's domestic strategic oil reserves is (for good reason) maddeningly difficult.

Wiki has a single unsourced comment "As of 1975 Israel is believed to have a strategic oil reserve equal to 270 days of consumption."
          Of course in wartime that would evaporate in a matter of months.

On other other side of the coin:

"According to the 1975 Sinai Interim Agreement signed by the United States and Israel as a precondition for Israel's return of the Sinai Peninsula and its associated oil reserves to Egypt, in an emergency the U.S. is obligated to make oil available for sale to Israel for up to 5 years"

Egypt could easily disable Israel's harbors and fighting with Egypt means that Israel's neighbors would not allow any passage of oil through their territories.

Despite US naval supremacy at sea, it would take at least several months before US could ensure a steady supply of oil. I do not think that Israel has enough oil to last for months. It has to win quickly and decisive.

Comment

Egypt could easily disable Israel's harbors and fighting with Egypt means that Israel's neighbors would not allow any passage of oil through their territories.
            Huhh? The last time Egypt tried something like that, 3 armies landed on her shores.

Comment

I am not talking about the Suez Canal. I am talking about mining Israel's harbors.

Comment

How? You have to get close enough to mine them and the IsAF ain't no slouch. With something as simple as a friendly harbour, the USN should be able to clear them within 24 hours.

Comment

Use submarines to deploy sea mines. How can you clear the mines in 24 hours? I thought it would take several weeks.

Comment

It would take several weeks to clear fields in the open seas but only 24 hours to clear a channel. For a port, that's all you need.

I don't fancy Egyptian subs against USN ASW.

Comment

Can't you just drag a couple old tankers filled with debris or munitions and blow it up in the middle of the harbor and create a soft kill?

Comment

Can't you just drag a couple old tankers filled with debris or munitions and blow it up in the middle of the harbor and create a soft kill?
                        The problem with that is you need the tanker to be in the right spot. Now, the reason why most freighters wait outside the harbour is that you need a harbour pilot to come out and guide you in. That's the tricky part. The harbour pilot will notice something. It's part of his job to know ships and currents.

Comment

There are going to be problems.

Something was bugging me about this and then it struck me, the US cannot take care of her treaty obligations and Israel at the same time. Hell, we were running out of ammo for Libya. Imagine the US fighting North Korea and having to supply Israel at the same time.
                          Sir, I wasn't aware of U.S. ordnance shortages for Libya, only some of the NATO countries, like the U.K.
                          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

And the resupply was slow in coming.

Comment

And the resupply was slow in coming.
                              A resupply...from the U.S.?

Comment

Who else makes this stuff?

Comment

Working...
                                X