Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chunder View Post
    Your fine in my book.

Look, when your empire went, so did all the income that went with it. So did a lot of your armed forces. When everyone gets over that nostalgia, then perhaps a position of relative importance can be found, and defence expenditure targeted towards it. Post cold war it seems to this pleb to be completely lost for direction. You want 12 AWD, oh bugger me, now your only getting 6. Oh, you want carriers, oh no you don't, oh shit, there's a war on, call up a carrier, shit, can't find it oh I remember, we scrapped it. We couldn't use it anyrate, because we let the RAF use it's harriers instead of Vixens (which we sold) or both . Look, perhaps we should get a CV, but only get one, mothball the first. No perhaps we should go back to the original plans. Perhaps we should scrap our maritime patrol that helps protect our boomers... yes indeed lets do that. Oh crikey, we can only afford to put one missile on a ship. Perhaps we should zero life our clapped out puma's, instead of going merlins...

My oh my..
    Put yourself up for armed forces minister UK you can have my vote :Dancing-Banana:

Comment

Originally posted by kato View Post
      France, Guyane, St. Pierre et Miquelon, St. Barthelemy, Djibouti, La Reunion, Neuf Caledonie?
      Yep, and?
      U.S EEZ 11.35mil km2
      France EEZ 11.04 mil km2
      Aust EEZ 10.15 mil km2
      U.K EEZ 6.8 mil km2

The point is. Tiny country, lots of money, not really much land mass that needs defending but plenty of strategically significant Islands.
      Ego Numquam

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
        Bankers are in more immediate danger then your island. You can't have the money in both places at the same time.

Let me ask you a question, 30k TA?

I think we have more reserves then that, with regular army of 7-10k (not sure of the numbers, since we've been through "modernization" process in order to comply with NATO standards).
        When the govt say 30k for the T/A what is reeeeeeaallyyy appnin is, the redundant pro soldiers will be expected to join the T/A , do the job of a pro soldier for less wages , cost cutting of the most sordid and cynical type , we will have 82.000 pro/military ,, and 80.000 MOD civil servant's most of which could be made redundant ,( nearly one for each soldier .cheers nuts ;))

I hope the guys who are being scrapped see through the plot and give the govt the 2 fingered salute , cameron and clones , you ignorant irresponsible Etonian school boy bastard

v
        Last edited by tankie; 07 Jul 12,, 13:50.

Comment

Well well , they found a use for us after the civilians cant hack it after all their promises and years to prepare FFS

LONDON (Reuters) - The government has put extra soldiers on standby to provide security for the London Olympics following concerns the private contractor G4S would not train enough guards in time for this month's Games. Some 23,700 security guards will protect the Olympic venues as part of Britain's biggest peacetime security operation, and 13,500 military personnel have already been earmarked to contribute to this. However, fears over whether G4S would recruit enough guards in time has prompted the government to take action with the Olympics due to start on July 27. .

Comment

Wasn't there also some rather recent court decision that allows the British military to put Rapiers on top of apartment buildings in London for the occasion? (without consent and against the opinion of the residents, who complained having a SAM battery on their heads made them a terrorist target)

Comment

Added value for British homes.

Tankie screw the ***** in the Gov, all of you enroll to G4S.
              No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by kato View Post
                Wasn't there also some rather recent court decision that allows the British military to put Rapiers on top of apartment buildings in London for the occasion? (without consent and against the opinion of the residents, who complained having a SAM battery on their heads made them a terrorist target)
                Yes the residents lost the court case .

Comment

Maybe this is why the troops being sent in

WILL 100,000 Die at the London Olympics 2012 ? - YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by Chunder View Post
                    Your fine in my book.

Look, when your empire went, so did all the income that went with it. So did a lot of your armed forces.
                    Our Forces at that time was a lot less than it is now. There is only one reason why we have a fcuked up Military...The Government.

Comment

Doesn't help when they have 'defence reviews' every other year, depending on how much they need to cut. You cannot approach long term defence requirements with an economics degree. You have to agree 5-10year (the longer the better) levels of funding so that real plans can be made and savings are actualy made as result of not changing your mind every 2 years.

I'd like to 5 years agreed 4% of GDP and then reviewed with presumption that spending will drop for the next 5 years to 3.5%. Trident replacement must NOT come from the MoD budget but from the Treasury as usual.
                      Last edited by snapper; 13 Jul 12,, 19:57.

Comment

Why should it be tied to GDP? Especially considering the current market that results in far too much budget fluctuation and low planning security.

Besides, that's the easy approach. The harder, funnier approach is what the German military is doing: Draw up plans that exceed the to-be-expected budget by around 5%, and then always clamour that they're not getting enough money so their budget won't get cut.

Comment

that seems to have worked for the US military for many years.

And when cuts are threatened, they can scream that the defense of the US is in peril, and that the military will be decimated.

Comment

Working...
                          X