UK Decimates armed forces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK Decimates armed forces

Words fail me , we are overstretched now FFS , still the shiny arsed bastards who we know as politicians know best , or do they ? senior army officers are dumbstruck , whats the WAB thoughts ????

Plan To Axe Army Battalions To Be Unveiled - Yahoo! News UK

Bankers are in more immediate danger then your island. You can't have the money in both places at the same time.

Let me ask you a question, 30k TA?

I think we have more reserves then that, with regular army of 7-10k (not sure of the numbers, since we've been through "modernization" process in order to comply with NATO standards).
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

The plan - known as Army 2020 - is expected to see the military split into two, with a reaction force, ready to respond to emergencies around the globe, and an adaptable force capable of carrying out a range of tasks and commitments.
      Hmmm. We tried that in 1995. Saw that such a strong division of forces didn't work, scrapped it again in 2003 for one that was a bit more flexible, and now in 2012 are ditching it altogether.

Comment

It is very sad, that a country the size of the UK can only muster a standing army of that size (not to mention how it would compare to the historic size of the British Army).

Comment

That means that MoD is expecting that Scotland will secede from UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
            That means that MoD is expecting that Scotland will secede from UK.
            The Royal Regiment of Scotland will retain all her battalions but will be reduced one company each.

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
              Words fail me.....whats the WAB thoughts ????
              If the UNSC Permanent 5 were formed now, the U.K wouldn't be on it.

You simply don't have enough vested interests that are yours and yours alone to worry pollies about defence spending - apart from the odd island under threat from South Americans.

To be frank, I thought Tony Blair on the same podium as Bush promoting OIF, as if he deserved to be standing on anything other than the background, let alone giving him airtime was pathetic another non-core lackey next to a superpower. When it wasn't him, it was that 'great financial master, Gordon Brown'.

I'd be inclined to think that if you didn't have nukes, you'd have no reason to cite yourself as somewhat important, commensurate amphib force in keeping with what territories you do have as a minimum not withstanding that always seems to get cited as to why you are credible. An over bloated Fast Jet RAF, but, ironically, no Nimrod to protect your friggin Trident subs... on an island nation with a non-core commitment to carrier aviation. Christ. Our P3's get flogged to High heaven!

As i've said before - your TINY size, coupled with your big population, SHOULD mean your the pitbull of Europe. Plenty of funding as a % of GDP to splash cashola.
              Ego Numquam

Comment

Population Density of the U.K 7.6 * that of the U.S
                98.3* the size of Australia.

Point is, defending yourself should be really much more affordable.

Britain $2,452.689 trillion with a score of 98.3 relative density. In addition you spend 2.6% of GDP on defence.
                Australia $1.488 trillion with a score of 1 relative density. We spend 1.8% of GDP on defence.
                We don't have to maintain nuke subs.... but still. The numbers say alot.

Edit: I'm sure you could come up with a score combining those 3 numbers, to come up with a comparative value.
                Last edited by Chunder; 06 Jul 12,, 02:00.
                Ego Numquam

Comment

Having seen this twice now, the British Army, as is the Canadian Army, is exhausted. Pure and simple. Men and machine have had it after a decade of war. The Army needs rest and rebuilding. There is simply no way around it. After two years, then maybe we will go looking at rebuilding numbers again. But until that time, even letting men to go on with their lives is a relief rather than another battle awaiting them.

Comment

well, Britian's Wooden Walls were what historically protected her, unfortuantely she doesn't have much of a Navy any more either.

Comment

Originally posted by Chunder View Post
                      If the UNSC Permanent 5 were formed now, the U.K wouldn't be on it.

You simply don't have enough vested interests that are yours and yours alone to worry pollies about defence spending - apart from the odd island under threat from South Americans.

To be frank, I thought Tony Blair on the same podium as Bush promoting OIF, as if he deserved to be standing on anything other than the background, let alone giving him airtime was pathetic another non-core lackey next to a superpower. When it wasn't him, it was that 'great financial master, Gordon Brown'.

I'd be inclined to think that if you didn't have nukes, you'd have no reason to cite yourself as somewhat important, commensurate amphib force in keeping with what territories you do have as a minimum not withstanding that always seems to get cited as to why you are credible. An over bloated Fast Jet RAF, but, ironically, no Nimrod to protect your friggin Trident subs... on an island nation with a non-core commitment to carrier aviation. Christ. Our P3's get flogged to High heaven!

As i've said before - your TINY size, coupled with your big population, SHOULD mean your the pitbull of Europe. Plenty of funding as a % of GDP to splash cashola.
                      You dont like the UK do you ! :)

Comment

As i've said before - your TINY size, coupled with your big population, SHOULD mean your the pitbull of Europe.
                        Umm, why? The British population density isn't exactly excessively high for Europe.

Comment

Originally posted by kato View Post
                          Umm, why? The British population density isn't exactly excessively high for Europe.
                          Look at a map.

U.K, Gibraltar, Akrotiri, Ascension, Diego Garcia.

What other european country can claim to have as much potential clout as that little island with some well structured defence spending?
                          Ego Numquam

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
                            You dont like the UK do you ! :)
                            Your fine in my book.

Look, when your empire went, so did all the income that went with it. So did a lot of your armed forces. When everyone gets over that nostalgia, then perhaps a position of relative importance can be found, and defence expenditure targeted towards it. Post cold war it seems to this pleb to be completely lost for direction. You want 12 AWD, oh bugger me, now your only getting 6. Oh, you want carriers, oh no you don't, oh shit, there's a war on, call up a carrier, shit, can't find it oh I remember, we scrapped it. We couldn't use it anyrate, because we let the RAF use it's harriers instead of Vixens (which we sold) or both . Look, perhaps we should get a CV, but only get one, mothball the first. No perhaps we should go back to the original plans. Perhaps we should scrap our maritime patrol that helps protect our boomers... yes indeed lets do that. Oh crikey, we can only afford to put one missile on a ship. Perhaps we should zero life our clapped out puma's, instead of going merlins...

My oh my..
                            Ego Numquam

Comment

U.K, Gibraltar, Akrotiri, Ascension, Diego Garcia.
                              France, Guyane, St. Pierre et Miquelon, St. Barthelemy, Djibouti, La Reunion, Neuf Caledonie?

Comment

Working...
                              X