No announcement yet.

What if? Roman Army vs. USMC MEU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The story's built better for a T.V. series.

I still think, btw, those admin pukes in HHC shall become the true holders of the kingdom with their copiers, pencils, pens, ink, paper, paperclips, staplers, etc. Scenario doesn't really mean squat. It can be modified for the best entertainment. If so, I'd prefer a MEU anchored off the Tiber around Anzio or so. More story possibilities with an aviation component and ships.
    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

• Originally posted by S2 View Post
      The story's built better for a T.V. series.
      Yeah, on OWN....the Oprah Winfrey Network!
      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
      Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by ArmchairGeneral View Post
        Wow. The story of the random internet poster getting a movie deal is almost better than the story he wrote...crazy.
        Wouldn't that be a dream come true - he's taking a year off from his job to "write" the screenplay- I would be sooo ready if they came to me with a deal like that (probably not just me).... The idea of playing for a living - something not enough people get to do.
        sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
        If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979 View Post
          That might be the Marines objective.
          however you might want to consider that Augustus could have a divergent objective : controlling as much population and resources of the empire as possible.
          Hannibal's problem was that he could not convinced the rest of Italy to rally against Rome. Rome in this scenario is gone within a day and destroyed by lightning, earthquakes, fireballs, and dragons.

And woe be the world if the MEU has tac nukes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
            That's great...except US military vehicles haven't used high octane for over 2 decades. The military uses JP-8, a kerosene derivative or JP-5 for naval aircraft. And teh MEU log battalion has HEMMT fuelers to carry the fuel.

JP-8 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just want to make sure if we are talking in logistics we talk correctly.

And you can not just use olive oil, etc. You may be able to use it in some small generators, cooking implements, etc., but there are no fuels in ancient Rome which will work for the vehicles or aircraft.
            What?!?!

Are you telling me that the person that wrote this masterful piece of literature and compelled us to devote 10 pages on it...is full of bull? ;)

OK, so to indulge 1979's scenario (and mine) let's go on the assumption that Rome fell to the shock and awe of the Marines relatively fast BUT the vast majority of the roman army is still intact. What are.the marine's next course of action? Does the commander of the MEU need to seek out and destroy those armies or does he fortify Rome and let the armies come to him?

And how would Rome be different ten/twenty years after the leatherneck takeover?

Comment

• Why destroy the remnants of the Roman army? Once they've taken Rome, they are the new rulers and can absorb the Roman army into their own ranks
              Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

• Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
                And how would Rome be different ten/twenty years after the leatherneck takeover?
                To my earlier post (you must really READ what I write, Grasshopper, in order to gain knowledge) after that period of time the youngest Marine and sailor is in his late 30s...they will have gone native.

Any and all new recruits into Conexus Civitates Marinus Corpus (thanks to Google translator...I learned all my Latin as an altar boy 40 years ago) will eventually be a corruptoing influence in the overall core beliefs of the MEU. How are they tied to the defense of the Constitution...when it no longer applies in day to day life.

Besides, I know we are in a post Don't Ask, Don't Tell military but those men and women are going to want to hook up.
                “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                Mark Twain

Comment

• With an enlightened leadership, abolishing slavery and torture (mostly) and the medical advances - it might put man out among the stars by our time. They could learn latin, and teach the masses, leverage the great minds of history - change the course of history? Imagine the world united two thousand years ago - all working together.. OTOH - we might be extinct by our time too.

I can imagine a Star Trek like world emerging from this - with most people working towards a greater good, I can also imagine a very destructive influence - if the wrong people come to power - mankind has a terrible habit of excess and greed.
                  Last edited by USSWisconsin; 20 Jan 12,, 17:29.
                  sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                  If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

• Hey, they already did one "what if". The Final Countdown with Kirk Douglas. "Splash the Zeros!" At that time the Nimitz was the most powerful warship on the sea. The armor around the F14s would have prevented the 7mm bullets from hurting a Tomcat.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tanker View Post
                      Hey, they already did one "what if". The Final Countdown with Kirk Douglas. "Splash the Zeros!" At that time the Nimitz was the most powerful warship on the sea. The armor around the F14s would have prevented the 7mm bullets from hurting a Tomcat.
                      If the Nimitz had nukes onboard at the time (and I'm sure it did; the Navy will neither confirm nor deny the presence of nuclear warheads on any ship, but this was at the height of the Cold War, you KNOW she had tactical nukes onboard!), this would have made the Nimitz the most powerful entity in the world, not just on the High Seas. She probably could've destroyed the entire Japanese fleet in a matter of hours with the judicious use of a few B61 tactical nukes.
                      "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

• Originally posted by Stitch View Post
                        If the Nimitz had nukes onboard at the time (and I'm sure it did; the Navy will neither confirm nor deny the presence of nuclear warheads on any ship, but this was at the height of the Cold War, you KNOW she had tactical nukes onboard!), this would have made the Nimitz the most powerful entity in the world, not just on the High Seas. She probably could've destroyed the entire Japanese fleet in a matter of hours with the judicious use of a few B61 tactical nukes.
                        I'm going to check out some sources but one of the magazines did a piece about the Nimitz after the movie came out and concluded that it could have decimated the entire Japanese fleet on its own...But I don't remember anything about it carrying nukes (probably wouldn't be exposed in a magazine).

Comment

• Originally posted by Stitch View Post
                          She probably could've destroyed the entire Japanese fleet in a matter of hours with the judicious use of a few B61 tactical nukes.
                          Are you kidding me? She could destroy the entire Imperial Japanese Empire.

Comment

• If you were to go back in time and kill your grandfather, then you would've never been born. And if you were.never born, how could you go back in time to kill your grandfather?

I remember the first time I ever heard that paradox was in that movie. That plus the scene where the Tomcat shoots down the Zero with a sidewinder conviced me that that movie was the greatest movie ever made.

It didn't take much to impresss me in my pre-teen years.

Comment

• Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
                              Does the commander of the MEU need to seek out and destroy those armies or does he fortify Rome and let the armies come to him?
                              He gives the commanders a ride in a humvee and lets them think about how much more territory those commanders can conquer if they side with the marines and have access to some of those toys......
                              In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

• Must you answer every question so logically???

Comment

Working...
                                X