Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bread, guns, and tanks

The life of a Cossack kid

My mother raised me in Moscow, away from my Cossack father's culture, so I did not grow up like this, like a real Cossack warrior. Sometimes, I think that's a terrible shame. Cossack life is fun, especially as a child :D

Boy scouts

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
      Boy scouts
      Pretty much. Only on a T-80 lol

Comment

I wish we had got to play with tanks when I was a boy scout. Looks a lot more fun than flogging apples.

Comment

Originally posted by rickshaw92 View Post
          I wish we had got to play with tanks when I was a boy scout. Looks a lot more fun than flogging apples.
          Indeed :)

Comment

Whoa...and who says Russian redneck kids don't have as much fun as American redneck kids..

Comment

Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
              Whoa...and who says Russian redneck kids don't have as much fun as American redneck kids..
              Like I said, the dream childhood I never got to have :)

Comment

Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
                In America, the Farmers daughters are usually hotter looking....
                Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                  In America, the Farmers daughters are usually hotter looking....
                  You've never seen a Cossack girl before, have you? lol

Enjoy :)

Comment

No drinks?

Seriously what's good in giving kids AK-47 (or whatever that assault rifle is) and putting them in a tank. At least half of them had helmets.
                    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Great, she can dance with swords, but I know a couple dozen girls that can do the same thing, whether it be with swords, firesticks or just plain juggling. Question is, does she know what to do with those swords aside from dance with them?
                      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

You mean for chopping meat and preparing salads?

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

I'm so proud of my minions sometimes...

Go ahead, next Yellowbelly insult is all yours!
                          Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                            No drinks?

Seriously what's good in giving kids AK-47 (or whatever that assault rifle is) and putting them in a tank. At least half of them had helmets.
                            They are being trained as soldiers. Cossacks prepare their young for military service very early on. Among those people, it is a big deal. When representatives of a young man's family come to meet family of a young woman to ask for marriage, first questions are always about his military record: did he serve (if not, there is probably no chance at all), which branch (Specnaz being most repsected, then Airborne, then Marines/Naval Infantry, then Army recon units, then, believe it or not, submariners and Air Force pilots, then regular infantry, then sailors), how long, where (hot spots?). There is a show on Russian TV, Davai Pozhenimsya, "Lets Get Married", match-making show. 3 grooms compete for bride, or 3 brides for groom. On last New Year, they had a Cossack episode. Cossack girl, Ulyana, 18 years old

First groom, Pyotr, 23 years old, served in the Air Force, as a mechanic

They kind of looked at him: "Eh... Maybe."

Next candidate, Igor

Can't remember his age. Served with a Border Troops Coast Guard unit. Helped take down a gang of poachers in the Black Sea. Him, they looked at with a bit more respect.

And then, Terek Cossack Pavel Shulsky enters the stage

and they read out his dossier, like they always do for all the candidates, all the information, biography, with pictures. 20 years old. At 16, became Master of Sport in kickboxing, won his krai (province) youth championship. Served 2 years: specnaz, Chechnya

wounded twice, helped kill a noted rebel leader (they did not say which), received title Hero of Russia fighting his way through enemy fire to rescue a wounded and surrounded comrade. Etc. The girl's father stood, shook his hand, and said "Son, I want you in my family." The girl looked like she was in love. In the end the choice was obvious

See, that is the way over there. In other places, a girl waits for a Prince Charming ona white horse. Cossack girls wait for a war hero with battle scars and a chest full of medals :)

So for boys in that society, military service is the most important part of life.

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
                            Great, she can dance with swords, but I know a couple dozen girls that can do the same thing, whether it be with swords, firesticks or just plain juggling. Question is, does she know what to do with those swords aside from dance with them?
                            Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                            You mean for chopping meat and preparing salads?
                            There is lots she can do with them. You have no idea ;)

Comment

Call it cultural differences, but I still have issues with kids playing with assault rifles and live ammo.

Those same kids have to wait to turn 18 to get a driving license, right?

Comment

Working...
                              X