Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identifying photo: british unit, 1978

Hia folks

A friend sent me this photo. It was marked "1978 British battlegroup, Canada":

I can identity most of the vehichles (Chieftain, Scimitar, FV4XX family, Gazelle & Scout helis). But I'm trying to figure out 3 things:
    -why would the british have such a large unit in Canada? Or could the caption be wrong?
    -would this be a batalion, regiment?...
    -why no SPGs?

Any information would be appreciated

British Army Training Unit Suffield - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The RSM T_igger works there.

Comment

ooo wow! I'd heard of some training done in Canada, but had no idea it was at this scale! Thanks for the heads up :)

Comment

I thought it may have been an attempt by the British to try to reenact the invasion of New York state which ended at the Battle of Saratoga...and this time were hoping for a win!

(I notice there are no pictures taken in January of the Brits using the gear!)
        Last edited by Albany Rifles; 11 May 11,, 21:26.
        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
        Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
          Hia folks

A friend sent me this photo. It was marked "1978 British battlegroup, Canada":

I can identity most of the vehichles (Chieftain, Scimitar, FV4XX family, Gazelle & Scout helis). But I'm trying to figure out 3 things:
          -why would the british have such a large unit in Canada? Or could the caption be wrong?
          -would this be a batalion, regiment?...
          -why no SPGs?

Any information would be appreciated
          14/20th Kings Hussars were in Batus in '78 if that is any help

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
            He's at this moment taking his old Squadron from 1RTR through it's paces and is hoping for a top report.

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
              He's at this moment taking his old Squadron from 1RTR through it's paces and is hoping for a top report.
              And woe be the Colonel who does not.

Comment

On a more serious note, I know the Bundeswehr also used to use this or a similiar CFB for maneuver training.

Was this done for other NATO countries as well?

I know some NATO and other Allies have gopne through the US Army's maneuver training facilities like the NTC at FT Irwin and JRTC at FT Polk.

And the German Air Defense School is located at FT Bliss, TX, home of the uS Army ADA school. My office at Bliss shares a building with them.
                Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                  And the German Air Defense School is located at FT Bliss, TX, home of the uS Army ADA school. My office at Bliss shares a building with them.
                  I believe both the german AF and Lufthansa used the portuguese base of Beja to train. And doesn't the Singapore Air Force also has planes in the US and Australia?

Comment

On a more serious note, I know the Bundeswehr also used to use this or a similiar CFB for maneuver training.

Was this done for other NATO countries as well?
                    Yes, a very big one. The US Army.

Comment

Yes, a very big one. The US Army.

Okay, sir. You got me.

I was referring more to our European bretheren within NATO.
                      Mark Twain

Comment

Okay, sir. You got me.

I was referring more to our European bretheren within NATO.
                        As the old joke goes, Canadian black flies has tasted the blood of every European Army on earth (including those Warsaw Pact observers).

Comment

As the old joke goes, Canadian black flies has tasted the blood of every European Army on earth (including those Warsaw Pact observers).
                          And now my breakfast did a backflip in my stomach...

Comment

And woe be the Colonel who does not.
                            Usually before Battle Groups go to BATUS they have build-up exercises and range practice either in the UK or Germany. The preparation for BATUS is long and hard for all concerned then it is all put together under the watchful eyes and ears of the Staff and Observers. However, due to brutal UK military spending cuts pre-training has been cut to a few weeks spread out over a period of time unlike the months of yesteryear. Live range firing has also been greatly reduced (I'm not sure if Soltau Ranges in Germany are still open) so the high standard expected may not be as high as the old sweats on here are used to. I think this is Wayne's first or second BG of the year and hopefully he'll let us know how it compares.

Comment

Working...
                            X