Tank Armor ratings for MBT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank Armor ratings for MBT

Now before you all start flaming me for making another useless thread about classified data....

Over the past year or so, I've gathered "Some" "data" regarding how thick estimated the armor is, and I compiled them on an excel sheet and am wondering of you professionals or anyone out there could verify at least that it isn't completely cr*p
    Don't take it too seriously, I did just for fun.

If any numbers don't seem right, please point it out
    Oh and if you can help fill in the blanks, that would be awesome!

Attached Files
    Last edited by cr9527; 04 Feb 11,, 09:28.

I would have no idea, and even if I did I wouldn't comment, anyway. Certain things are better left off public domain forums. Others can comment if they like, I'm not gonna comment on the Merkava IV's armor thickness
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

The information you gathered over time is most certainly not "useless" or crap", most likely "classified" to some extent, and the professionals here who could verify/correct them will most likely not do that.

Comment

Ucar Reply

"...the professionals here who could verify/correct them will most likely not do that."

VERY "...Most likely...".
        "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
        "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Originally posted by cr9527 View Post
          Now before you all start flaming me for making another useless thread about classified data....

Over the past year or so, I've gathered "Some" "data" regarding how thick estimated the armor is, and I compiled them on an excel sheet and am wondering of you professionals or anyone out there could verify at least that it isn't completely cr*p
          Don't take it too seriously, I did just for fun.

If any numbers don't seem right, please point it out
          Oh and if you can help fill in the blanks, that would be awesome!

[ATTACH]24213[/ATTACH]
          You will drive yourself nuts with this kind of thing,............hate to say your whole spread sheet is propably ( nay is ) "cr*p" as you say !.......... Start worrying more about the new generation of "clever ATGM" than armour thickness...........and the the cleverly thought out matrixes.........and the fact that because of all this armour tactics as we know them have to be revisited, conventionally we have to be very cautious how we commit our armour now.
          sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

Probably best pointed out in Lebanon 2006, where the presence of advanced ATGM's and adhering to old armor tactics led to us getting hit hard and inventing tactics on the spot, some of which didn't always work, unfortunately
            Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Aren't ATGM's "easily" countered with SLAT armor? I.e. Cage the entire vehicle would only add at most 1-2 tons of weight and could possibly defeat all forms of ATGMs.

Case in point, the Stryker.

Comment

Aren't ATGM's "easily" countered with SLAT armor? I.e. Cage the entire vehicle would only add at most 1-2 tons of weight and could possibly defeat all forms of ATGMs.

Case in point, the Stryker.
                TA?.................. as for easily, you tell me? The size of the warheads now v just how much armour can you realisticly pull around with you.
                sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Comment

There's also a limit to how much armor you can pull around you and stay mobile enough to make a difference. A well armored tank that can only go 20kp/h is more vulnerable than a slightly less armored tank that can go at 50kp/h.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
                    There's also a limit to how much armor you can pull around you and stay mobile enough to make a difference. A well armored tank that can only go 20kp/h is more vulnerable than a slightly less armored tank that can go at 50kp/h.
                    sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Comment

Originally posted by T_igger_cs_30 View Post
                      TA?.................. as for easily, you tell me? The size of the warheads now v just how much armour can you realisticly pull around with you.
                      The point of the SLAT armor is to detonate the warhead before reaching the armor, thereby weakening the warhead significantly.

Plus, it is essentially a steel cage, making it very light weight.

These are virtually useless against KE rounds, but no ATGM I can think off can launch a rod.

Comment

The point of the SLAT armor is to detonate the warhead before reaching the armor, thereby weakening the warhead significantly.

Plus, it is essentially a steel cage, making it very light weight.

These are virtually useless against KE rounds, but no ATGM I can think off can launch a rod.
                        I understand the concept.............. so how do you do this on a tank and maintain all round turret (360 degrees) fighting capability?............ remember now we are talking conventional warfare not is duties.
                        Last edited by T_igger_cs_30; 04 Feb 11,, 16:19.
                        sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Comment

There are ATGM's that can penetrate hundreds of mm of RHA After reactive armor. It's probably easier at the moment for someone to come up with a triple-warhead ATGM than it is to come up with better armor, unless someone comes up with a brand new product or method.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
                            There are ATGM's that can penetrate hundreds of mm of RHA After reactive armor. It's probably easier at the moment for someone to come up with a triple-warhead ATGM than it is to come up with better armor, unless someone comes up with a brand new product or method.
                            Exactly BR,
                            sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Comment

I love the Merkava's ball and chain armor on the turret bustle, it seems like a neat way to stop ATGM's

Attached Files
                              sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                              If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Working...
                              X