X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JCT
    replied
    Originally posted by rainland View Post
    I had a rangefinding training in the military so I'm planning to take this bad boy out in the fields and check some birds maybe. The view is absolutely stunning through that device. Everything is so much deeper because the stereo vision is multiplied by many factors compared to our eyes' distance.
    And I thought you might be using it to measure the distance from the tee to the hole....

Leave a comment:

• rainland
    replied
    I had a rangefinding training in the military so I'm planning to take this bad boy out in the fields and check some birds maybe. The view is absolutely stunning through that device. Everything is so much deeper because the stereo vision is multiplied by many factors compared to our eyes' distance.

Leave a comment:

• Albany Rifles
    replied
    Howdy Rainland

I hope you enjoy your stay on the WAB.

We like to have our newcomers introduce themselves to us...where you're from, what's you background and experience, etc.

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/sho...61571&page=132

I recommend you go to this thread and learn some of the rules of the road we follow on this site to keep things civil.

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/showthread.php?t=46580

Enjoy!
    And if I might ask what are planning on doing with the range finder once its serviceable?

Leave a comment:

• rainland
    replied
    Here is an image of the two reticles.

Leave a comment:

• rainland
    replied
    Hi guys. I'm trying to disassemble old military coincidence rangefinder. Link: https://imgur.com/a/FMMXjgv If anyone happens to have a somekind of manual on these things it'd be much appreciated. If not I'm open to ideas how to continue on taking this thing apart. You see its a bit broken, and I'm trying to get inside. I've provided an album with detailed pictures and comments of my findings. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Albany Rifles
    replied
    Then my numbers apply...12-15 years of service the norm...but if you get into SOF community or technical fields it could be 8 - 10. That's about true across all services.

Leave a comment:

• jlvfr
    replied
    Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
    But what time current? 1930s?
    Modern/near future.

Leave a comment:

• Albany Rifles
    replied
    But what time current? 1930s?

Leave a comment:

• Doktor
    replied
    Well what time frame are we talking about. I know of numerous examples of 21 or 22 year old first sergeants from World War 2.
    He clearly stated in a peacetime, no war-filling the spots.

Leave a comment:

• Albany Rifles
    replied
    Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
    Ah, ok... a bit less than what I thought, then. Still, considerably older than the "early 20s" that I see on the character. Thanks for the answer.
    Well what time frame are we talking about. I know of numerous examples of 21 or 22 year old first sergeants from World War 2.

Leave a comment:

• jlvfr
    replied
    Well I think our Gunny is about 85....

If its like the Army...it depends on career field. Number promoted is determined by number of slots needing to be filled. But most are promoted at 12-15 years of service. So lets say average enlistee is 19 years old then you are talking early 30s.
    Ah, ok... a bit less than what I thought, then. Still, considerably older than the "early 20s" that I see on the character. Thanks for the answer.

Leave a comment:

• Albany Rifles
    replied
    Well I think our Gunny is about 85....

If its like the Army...it depends on career field. Number promoted is determined by number of slots needing to be filled. But most are promoted at 12-15 years of service. So lets say average enlistee is 19 years old then you are talking early 30s.

Leave a comment:

• jlvfr
    replied
    Quick question, related to the USMC: what's the average age of a Gunnery Sergeant, in peace time (ie, not one promoted over dead people...)

I ask because of a discussion in another forum, related to a character in a TV series.

Leave a comment:

• Albany Rifles
    replied
    Originally posted by ci150004 View Post
    Hello everybody!
    I'm new to this site. I have a question that was given by my chief instructor, why do most rifle bullets diameter are not round up? i mean for example 5.56mm, 7.62mm, 7.92mm, etc... why didnt they manufacture and use like maybe 5mm, 7mm, 8mm, or any other round up number?
    Howdy and welcome to the WAB. How about you go the following link and introduce yourself. Also tell us something about yourself and your interests.

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/sho...62#post1007162

And after that run over here to find out how to have an enjoyable stay!!!

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/showthread.php?t=46580

Leave a comment:

• Doktor
    replied
    Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
    And just to mess up things even more, there are calibers who are "rounded up": 9mm, 8mm...
    I believe his question was why the digits, not the rounded up numbers. My guess here would be due to the performance - "hey, this .20 (5mm) is a peace of crap, while it can fly longer, it can't penetrate anything, let's make it 10% heavier (0,22 is the way to go).

In essence because of the fine-tuning for the specific job the producers had in mind.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X