X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jlvfr
    replied
    Originally posted by JA Boomer View Post
    To be clear the caliber of a rifle is the diameter of the bore of the barrel. The cartridge describes not only the diameter of the bullet, but the shell casing size as well. So while .308 is the caliber, .308 Winchester is the cartridge, and there can be many .308 cartridges for the .308 caliber.

Hope this helps.
    And just to mess up things even more, there are calibers who are "rounded up": 9mm, 8mm...

Leave a comment:

• JA Boomer
    replied
    Originally posted by ci150004 View Post
    Hello everybody!
    I'm new to this site. I have a question that was given by my chief instructor, why do most rifle bullets diameter are not round up? i mean for example 5.56mm, 7.62mm, 7.92mm, etc... why didnt they manufacture and use like maybe 5mm, 7mm, 8mm, or any other round up number?
    Welcome to the site. I'll give you my answer, others may have different or more specific ones.

The caliber of a rifle is a very specific thing, not something that you would round up. Since most common calibers are between say 5mm and 8mm, the use of a few significant digits is prudent to help differentiate the calibers.

Similarly, cartridges are very specific. So specific that you can have different cartridges within the the same caliber of rifle that you can not interchange. So again, the use of a few significant digits is well warranted. Also, gun and ammunition manufacturers are competing against each other for sales, so it makes sense that they will name each specific cartridge something unique.

That in a nutshell is why there's so many cartridge and calibers out there, some in metric like the those you mentioned, and many more in imperial such as the .223, .243, and .308.

To be clear the caliber of a rifle is the diameter of the bore of the barrel. The cartridge describes not only the diameter of the bullet, but the shell casing size as well. So while .308 is the caliber, .308 Winchester is the cartridge, and there can be many .308 cartridges for the .308 caliber.

Hope this helps.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hello everybody!
    I'm new to this site. I have a question that was given by my chief instructor, why do most rifle bullets diameter are not round up? i mean for example 5.56mm, 7.62mm, 7.92mm, etc... why didnt they manufacture and use like maybe 5mm, 7mm, 8mm, or any other round up number?

Leave a comment:

• Stitch
    replied
    Originally posted by Versus View Post
    Black arrow has been replaced with new model but we will need something with the higher rate of fire. After all there will be a lots of them.
    This is the Black Spear, the replacement for Black arrow.
    Our go-to .50-cal. anti-materiel weapon over here in the States is the Barrett M107A1:

Click image for larger version

Name:	14019.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	820.4 KB
ID:	1469290

Leave a comment:

• Versus
    replied
    Originally posted by Mihais View Post
    You give too much credit to stigmatization.I repeat,few people give fvck about rampaging muslims being killed.It is not the 90's.Another war means more towelheads attacking civilians in the West.Not that it's not occuring on weekly basis,but it will intensify.So chill, NATO won't move this time.
    We will see, I mean I don't want to derail the thread so maybe it would be best to move it to the autopsy thread. I know that it is not 99 but just as Nato we are not the ones we used to be. Which puts us in a more difficult position. But you know, Si vis pacem, para bellum

Leave a comment:

• Mihais
    replied
    You give too much credit to stigmatization.I repeat,few people give fvck about rampaging muslims being killed.It is not the 90's.Another war means more towelheads attacking civilians in the West.Not that it's not occuring on weekly basis,but it will intensify.So chill, NATO won't move this time.

Leave a comment:

• Versus
    replied
    Saudi forces aren't worth crap.The Turks are getting dangerous,but they'll also face all EE.They'd still enjoy superiority,at least initially.
    As for the nice fellows coming in,they can cause lots of damage.That is all.We'll see

Back to .50's.You all have a rifle at home.Basically all male population,regardless of age,has an AK.An anti-material rifle is first a psychological weapon.You blow a guy from 1.5 km away,you freeze in place a platoon.Or you take out MG nests.Or whatever else you need to do.In urban combat you can cover an awsome area of environment from a dominant position. But you still only need a couple per btn. More important is training in low level infantry tactics,instinctive shooting,camouflage and movement under fire.Fact is a squad in well done ambush can take out half a company without breaking a sweat.
    It all depends how situation will develop. They are settling them down along Green Highway so we all know what that means. Once they are settled down, I am guessing that invasion will start. We will have very little time to react. This means that our response time is measured in hours if not minutes. This requires totally new weapons, platforms and thinking. The 50 cal standard is just a small part of that re thinking. We cannot allow situations like Malme, Calas, Colone, our reaction must be extremely fast and extremely brutal because we know that they won't give us mercy or compassion. The only thing that is somewhat positive is the fact that we are already stigmatized and sanitized so we have no moral obligations to justify our actions. This is a fight for survival and the fate of our nation. If it happens, and I don't see any reason for it not to happen, this time we will have to go all the way or we will all die.
    Last edited by Versus; 07 Sep 16,, 21:01.

Leave a comment:

• Mihais
    replied
    Yes there is, there is Turkey and Saudi Arabia. The thing is, that if the worse happen, we would be overrun in less than three hours, the threat is immense.

Also I was analyzing combat footage from various parts of middle east. The pop up threat is the most challenging thing to deal with. Urban ambushes also, IED's you name it. So many problems.

I mean the takia has no effect on us, because we know who they are for real, however the mask of their deception is so strong in the west that, unfortunately you will have to count them in also.
    Saudi forces aren't worth crap.The Turks are getting dangerous,but they'll also face all EE.They'd still enjoy superiority,at least initially.
    As for the nice fellows coming in,they can cause lots of damage.That is all.We'll see

Back to .50's.You all have a rifle at home.Basically all male population,regardless of age,has an AK.An anti-material rifle is first a psychological weapon.You blow a guy from 1.5 km away,you freeze in place a platoon.Or you take out MG nests.Or whatever else you need to do.In urban combat you can cover an awsome area of environment from a dominant position. But you still only need a couple per btn. More important is training in low level infantry tactics,instinctive shooting,camouflage and movement under fire.Fact is a squad in well done ambush can take out half a company without breaking a sweat.

Leave a comment:

• Versus
    replied
    Originally posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
    Of course if you REALLY need the ability to penetrate cover/destroy urban vehicles. You could get something along the lines of the suppressor capable Anzio 20mm.

http://www.anzioironworks.com/MAG-FED-20MM-RIFLE.htm

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42071[/ATTACH]
    .223 > .338 > .50 > 20mm
    We have that one :) But it kicks like a mule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSEOi4zx-8M
    Last edited by Versus; 07 Sep 16,, 17:58.

Leave a comment:

• SteveDaPirate
    replied
    Of course if you REALLY need the ability to demolish cover/body armor/engine blocks. You could get something along the lines of the suppressor capable Anzio 20mm.

http://www.anzioironworks.com/MAG-FED-20MM-RIFLE.htm

Click image for larger version

Name:	bulletsizes.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	1469288
    .223 > .338 > .50 > 20mm
    Last edited by SteveDaPirate; 07 Sep 16,, 17:54.

Leave a comment:

• Versus
    replied
    Yeah.Lots of well trained light infantry.And enough heavy weapons.Enough to win battles.Hunger wins the war.This isn't the 90's anymore.
    Your guys showed they can win IO's back in 99.The context now is much more favourable.No JDAM will fly this time vs you.
    Yes there is, there is Turkey and Saudi Arabia. The thing is, that if the worse happen, we would be overrun in less than three hours, the threat is immense.

Also I was analyzing combat footage from various parts of middle east. The pop up threat is the most challenging thing to deal with. Urban ambushes also, IED's you name it. So many problems.

I mean the takia has no effect on us, because we know who they are for real, however the mask of their deception is so strong in the west that, unfortunately you will have to count them in also.
    Last edited by Versus; 07 Sep 16,, 17:51.

Leave a comment:

• Mihais
    replied
    Yeah.Lots of well trained light infantry.And enough heavy weapons.Enough to win battles.Hunger wins the war.This isn't the 90's anymore.
    Your guys showed they can win IO's back in 99.The context now is much more favourable.No JDAM will fly this time vs you.

Leave a comment:

• Versus
    replied
    Bro, a .50 is easily 7000$. Add 2000 in decent optics and you suddenly need a fortune.Plus 10$ /round.

Such a beast would certainly serve well.But you'd need a bunch of guys to buy and train a 2 men sniper team.
    We can't look at things that way anymore. What we need is a complete rethink of our armament based on real life experience, new philosophy so to speak. Considering the nature of the threat and the consequences, I don't think that we have much of a choice. We have 250.000 and possibly 500.000 coming form Syria and God knows from where, we have 1 million of them in Bosnia and 2 million in Kosovo. That is a considerable force to deal with. Also, considering historical experience with them, I simply don't see any other option than this one.
    Last edited by Versus; 07 Sep 16,, 17:17.

Leave a comment:

• Mihais
    replied
    Black arrow has been replaced with new model but we will need something with the higher rate of fire. After all there will be a lots of them.
    Bro, a .50 is easily 7000$. Add 2000 in decent optics and you suddenly need a fortune.Plus 10$ /round.

Such a beast would certainly serve well.But you'd need a bunch of guys to buy and train a 2 men sniper team.

Leave a comment:

• Versus
    replied
    Originally posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
    The good thing is that it's effective at punching through masonry and cinderblock walls to hit fighters using them for cover. The downside is that it punches through walls and hits people who are just trying to stay out of the fight.
    Unfortunately, our experience with Muslims says that there is no such thing as civilian, they are all one, one collective and one army. The ummah. After all, people that are trashing Eu and soon US don't wear uniform but that doesn't affect their goal. Yea that is why 50 cal is chosen. Universal.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X