No announcement yet.

Corps to deploy M1A1 tanks to Afghanistan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll admit to being a non Artillery type (though not a lesser being) and still knowing what 6400 mil is.
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Gun Grape Reply

"For you lesser beings,(non Artillery types) I will translate. :)"

Ahhh...blessings unto thee, Gunnery Sgt Grape. The other ways so common to lesser beings just lack...precision.;)
      "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
      "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
        The tank provides the sensor and the weapon in one package. If the USMC has or can use the army's battle management system you make the system even better. Not only can the tank see better than any other ground mounted system, and outgun any ground mounted system, it can do so with precision. For example, the Abrams can hit the homicide bombers/drug smugglers truck without detonating it (sabot through the motor), and in the midst of other traffic.
        While this is basically correct, keep in mind that the M1A1 and the M1A2SEP have significantly different optics packages - the older 10x Thermal Imaging System is a lot less capable than the SEP's FLIR. There are other systems now that can be mounted on a HMMWV or MRAP that are superior to the M1A1's optics. However, you are definitely correct in that no other system ties the optics to the weapons as effectively or as accurately as the M1. Even the M240 coaxial machinegun tied to the ballistic computer becomes a preceision weapons at 800+ meters.

Did the Marine Corps upgraded the optics in its M1A1s at some point? I haven't kept up with their tanks.

As far as roads vs. cross country, I will run an Abrams cross country all day if I have the option over traveling on roads. The suspension is second to none, and it practically floats over rough terrain - we've all found that the faster you move, the smoother the ride. I've done 40 mph on rolling praries with no issues. You just have to be alert and watch for stream and river beds, large holes, boulders, etc.

Dave

Comment

Or the occasional house, brick wall, car...
          Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

God help you if you hit a sheapard's goat.

Comment

Originally posted by 3ACR_Scout View Post
              You just have to be alert and watch for stream and river beds, large holes, boulders, etc.

Dave
              And the landmines that the Russians so kindly left littered behind by the thousands. Not as significant, but I'm sure they could blow a track off.

You know, ON base, they dug one up that was in the pallet storage area behind the mailroom?! Those bastards are everywhere.
              "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach...just make sure you thrust upward through his ribcage."

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                God help you if you hit a sheapard's goat.
                Roger that Sir!

Cut a check for the goat, the goats potential kids, the kids potential kids, and so on for a few generations... big money.

The tactic they used when I was there was to push their own daughters in front of a ISAF/US convoy hoping we would kill her. Big money paid to the father and since they value a Son much more than a Daughter, they didn't care.
                Sad, Sad world.
                "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach...just make sure you thrust upward through his ribcage."

Comment

The IDF controls all the fire areas and exercise areas up in the Golan and let the ranchers use it for grazing. When we have an exercise, we let them know to get their cattle out. One guy decided not to, and wound up with one of his cows with five 7.62mm bullets in the head. Whoops.

Even though it was his fault and he got to keep the carcass for the meat, we still had to pay him out big time...

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
                    Even though it was his fault and he got to keep the carcass for the meat, we still had to pay him out big time...
                    We have the same problem in Texas - the age-old state laws require someone who kills a cow, even by accident, to pay for 4 generations of that cow that the rancher lost out on. Fort Hood just happens to be on free range cattle land, and we have to clear all of them off the tank range before we can shoot. There have been a number of instances of cows standing behind tank targets, or wandering across the range at night, that have resulted in the rancher getting two halves of a cow back from the Army...

Dave

Comment

Sounds like Germany during the Cold War; I know when the Allied forces would conduct exercises like Reforger we'd tear up huge chunks of German farmland that the farmer's would get reimbursed for. Those were some expensive exercises!
                      "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

"Did the Marine Corps upgraded the optics in its M1A1s at some point? I haven't kept up with their tanks."

The USMC did upgrade their fleet of M1A1 tanks, or a portion of them with the Firepower Enhancement Program or FEP. They used commercial, off the shelf upgrade to add a lower cost version of the Commander's Independent Thermal Viewer and some other basic upgrades. It still lacks the fully integrated digital SA/Sensor/weapon system design of the M1A2 SEP, but meets the requirements for the Marine Corps.
                        Tanks, Fender Strats and Texas BBQ!

Comment

I am not aware of any corps M1A1's with CITV, what people often think is the CITV is actually a (IR) jammer.

Comment

I am not aware of any corps M1A1's with CITV, what people often think is the CITV is actually a (IR) jammer.
                            For reference the device zraver speaks of can be seen clearly in this pic.

I have to admit I was a little confused by it myself first time I saw it as I thought it was a Commanders Independant viewer of some description too.
                            "Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations".- Motto of the Gun Crew who have just done something incredibly stupid!!!!

Comment

How does the IR jammer work? Is there any similar system on Army M1s?

Comment

Whats the reason i've never seen explosive reactive armor on any M1?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X