Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Australian army or the British army? which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chaobam Armour View Post
    So Spoonman, tell us all why you choose the British Army over your own? You obviously are not in an Armoured Regiment, as you quote them as 'Tread Heads'!!!!!!

Which Regiment are you serving with, and why did you choose the Regiment.

If and when you go the Afghanistan, you may well be doing 'Force Protection' or worse still 'Mentoring', you may even, dare I say, be left behind on the 'Rear Party', or even worse go to the Stan and be transferred to the Stores, be it 'Boots and Socks', 'Technical' or 'SQMS'; or you could end up in HQ, now that is a real crap job, you may never get to put your 'Battle Bowler' on.:))

I wish you well for your future endeavours, and hope that you get what you desire, just a word of warning mind; WAR IS NOT A GREAT EXPERIENCE, it may leave you with a pickled brain, and you won't be right for a long time, you will see things which you wish you never wanted too, you will have times when you think, "Why did I join"? Life in the Army isn't a bed of roses, you take the rough with the smooth.

Your Troop/Platoon Ldr/Sgt/Cpl will give you orders which you think are pretty pathetic, stupid or damn right dangerous, but you have too do it. My Troop was one of the first to go over the 'Bunds' in Kuwait, I wasn't best pleased with the decision of the Sqn Ldr, but orders are orders, someone has to do it.

Enjoy your time. By the way, getting a Commission from the Ranks isn't too easy. If you shone in Training they would have picked you up for a Commission, most guys don't get a Commission until they get their Warrant, and the it has to be a First.
    To answer your questions:

1. I was rather keen to go into Armour myself but I was sold out by my recruiter who lied and said everything was full except Infantry. My first preference was actually OP Assisant with the Royal Artillery.

2. The Royal Irish, for a variety of reasons, I suppose mainly I chose them over the other Regiments because I'm half Irish by rather distant ancestry, whereas I have no connection at all with England, Scotland or Wales, and because they get a lot of work by virtue of being part of 16 Bde. Rather unconventionally I ended up being sent straight to Support Coy and am currently an "Anti-Tank Missileman" which means I've basically identified myself by name to anyone with friends in the Regiment. I quite like this gig, and I enjoy being in a platoon with so much collective experience since I'm constantly learning.

3. Highly unlikely I'll be doing FP, R Irish spent the last tour on a combination of mentoring and warfighting, depending on which Coy Group you were in, which for me could be any given my role. Not to big myself up but there's no way they're going to leave me on rear party unless I'm downgraded.

4. You only need to hear it from some of my friends to know war is not a great experience, although I think you have to go through it to really understand the fact. This Bn got very lucky to only have one fatality during the last tour, but we were insanely close to losing a few more. To put it bluntly, I'm not afraid to deploy with the SNCOs and Officers we have in charge of me, because by all accounts, including those of people from other Regiments, they're quite good.

5. As for commissioning, I never really considered it before I joined up, however every Officer I've served under has been driving at it because of my education, and I was apparently given written recommendations when I finished training. As happy as I am here, I do feel I'm capable of more, if I don't make the cut for whatever reason then I'm happy to stay put and fight for an NCO cadre and a language course as my future projects. As for commissioning from the ranks, it doesn't happen in training, they send you to battalion with a recommendation and its up to you to fight for it from there, I was told I'd probably have to keep pushing it for at least a year or two before I'd even be able to go in front of a Board. I seem to be lucky in that my superiors are helping me rather than hindering me, but I suppose we'll see how it goes over the remainder of the year.

Comment

'The Royal Irish', great bunch of guys, they used to be called the 'Irish Rangers'. Good choice, as you have Irish Ancestors. Support Coy is a great first posting, far better than a Rifle Platoon, and Anti-Tanks is great too, I did a stint with Anti-Tank Guided Missile Troop when I was in the Third Royal Tank Regiment, Armoured Regiments no longer have them, shame really.

With regard 'Rear Party', they don't just leave the lame and lazy behind, the Barracks still needs to be manned, maintained and Guarded!!!!

You enjoy the experience and take it with you to the future, it will hold you in good stead. You find that all SNCOs' in the British Army are very high caliber Soldiers, they are admirred around the world, if you talk to Senior Officers they will openly admit that the WOs & Sgts Mess is the 'Backbone of the British Army', just look at all the experience you have in your Coy Sgt Major, he would have nearly every job an Infantry Soldier gets to do.

I wish you luck with your Commissioning, and its good to hear that the Regiment is helping you, Sandhurst is another fine institute.

Comment

may be it is just me, but why would you want to join any army other than the one that protects your home.
        "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by omon View Post
          may be it is just me, but why would you want to join any army other than the one that protects your home.
          A lot of the guys I knew from Foreign Countries; Fiji, Australia, New Zealand etc. joined because the wanted to see some real action, and there feelings were, that you were more likely to be in the Thick of it in the British Army rather than there own Countries!!!!!!!!!

Comment

How old are you 1947?
            I hope your title is no reflection of your DOB!
            Some benefits about joining the army at a young age are (and speaking for the Australian Army) are –
            Encouragement to use your initiative,
            Self discipline
            Make mates for life,
            Defence Housing loans,
            Health Care,
            Travel,
            Once in the system, it is almost skies the limits in what you can learn and do – if you set your mind to it!!!
            You will learn to eat shit that would make a dog run away with its tail between its legs!
            Oh and you will very quickly learn how to iron a very sharp and crisp creases in your service dress uniform!

One thing you have to remember and not forget in any army (the Australian Army not excluded!!) – The hurry up and wait factor!
            After 20+ years of service, I must say for all the good times and operational pace and tempo, there is much more mundane down time – admin (lots of admin…..), and other arduous duty which just makes you want to poke your eyes out!

As for being and Assault Pioneer – clearing mines and booby traps is a great way of losing weight through sweeting, if you know what I mean!!!!!!

Regards
            Pioneer

Comment

Originally posted by Chaobam Armour View Post
              A lot of the guys I knew from Foreign Countries; Fiji, Australia, New Zealand etc. joined because the wanted to see some real action, and there feelings were, that you were more likely to be in the Thick of it in the British Army rather than there own Countries!!!!!!!!!
              My Regiment is about 40% foreign on account of all the guys from the Republic, not to mention lots of Fijians, South Africans, a few Zimbabweans and we've got a bunch of new guys from St Vincent on the way soon as well.

For me, I'm no nationalist, in fact I rather dislike nationalism, I'd be the first to defend my home because that's where my mates live, but at the end of the day, Australia is not under threat from anything greater than smuggling and petty terrorism, so I don't exactly feel the call of duty. People can say this isn't my war and all that crap but I'm in it for the species, and in a globalized world everything affects everyone in some way, whether they want to admit it or not. I'm definitely not doing it for the money anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by 1947 View Post
                I've been recently thinking of joining the army but cant make up my mind of which one to choose.
                My manager at my work is an ex-British army warrant officer with 25 years of service under his belt and highly recommends joining the British army.
                Given the fact that I'm an Australian citizen and hence a commonwealth citizen eligibility won't be an issue. His reasons are the fact that from his point of view having served in the British army and for a short period in the australian army he felt that the australian army were using tactic and procedure from the 70's. I'm no Einstein on military training procedure some input would be greatly appreciated'.
                cheers

Seriously, - Flip a coin and go for which ever one. You'll still have the same experiances, make the same friends in either.

You'll also be able to transfer to different units if you feel you want to.

The world's your oyster mate!!!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pioneer View Post
                  As for being and Assault Pioneer – clearing mines and booby traps is a great way of losing weight through sweeting, if you know what I mean!!!!!!
                  Don't forget, the joy of always getting the call for anything wierd (or dangerous)! One of my favorites was being assigned to deal with a railroad tanker car loaded with clorine which collided with a farmer towing a trailer full of cows. Not someting they cover in training! Not to worry, no cows were harmed in the operation.
                  Last edited by sappersgt; 23 Jun 09,, 23:43.
                  Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                  (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

I have tried to avoid this one..
                    But

Now as far as tactics of the 70’s goes well I can trace the roots of some way back to WWII, PNG. But much is still relevant. But some are changing.
                    Going on what I have been reading re Aust Mil tactics and procedures, and I don’t know the date your WO manager was in the Aust Army, but things have change.
                    When I was in it was naturally all 60’s & 70’s stuff. Things did slowly alter. But now there is a significant change. This does not mean the 70’s tactics have been dropped but just minimised in overall trg. From what I gather its gone more conventional.

Now there are naturally differences between the Brits and Aust in tactical issues based on perceive AOs. This is an important issue.

With The Australian Defence the main issue if it is one is the government of the day and whether it is ‘fortress Australia’ mentality or not. Post 70’s it was fortress Australia due to the government at the time, so many things did not change as there was no main direction as such.

Also it depends into what Corps you want to go into as far as “action” is concerned.

Not being biased, I would hint Aust Army..

Comment

Originally posted by Ratus Ratus View Post
                      Not being biased, I would hint Aust Army..
                      Pfft, just stay away from the Calvary and you'll do fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                        Again, more sound advice. There is a phenomenon called 'the Squadron bar' - I wouldn't wish that on anybody..........
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                          Well as far as Cav goes not an issue. In my day it was all M113s.

If I had my time again I would go for one of the CERs, hang being a grunt again.

Comment

Ahh, the decision I'm trying to make at the moment haha...

The only thing that concerns me is if I get invited to the UK I may get deffered for what ever reason and therefore having to either find a full time job in the UK for 6/12months or come back to Australia

I would join the Australian Army and not even consider going over to the UK if only the ADF had more commitment deployment wise. With Iraq over for us & the reservilists getting the Solomon Islands deployments, all the full time riflemen have really is Afghanistan.

Comment

Originally posted by McLachlan View Post

The only thing that concerns me is if I get invited to the UK I may get deffered for what ever reason and therefore having to either find a full time job in the UK for 6/12months or come back to Australia

I would join the Australian Army and not even consider going over to the UK if only the ADF had more commitment deployment wise. With Iraq over for us & the reservilists getting the Solomon Islands deployments, all the full time riflemen have really is Afghanistan.
                              If you are medically fit, which you probably are, then I'd be very confident of acceptance, there is a bit of a recruitment crisis all over just now.....

Go on-line and contact the UK Army Careers Information Office, - Theyll put you in a better position to decide.....
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by McLachlan View Post

You missed East Timor.
                                I presume you are going in as an OR, not able to do the Baker course at RMC?

Comment

Working...
                                X