Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkey unveils new indigenous rifles for Land Forces...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turkey unveils new indigenous rifles for Land Forces...

UPDATE FROM TURKEY

The Turkish Minister of Defence H.E. Vecdi Gonul, has unveiled yesterday Turkey's choice of new rifle to replace the G3:

The Mehmetçik-1 designed and manufactured by MKEK of Turkey is similar in design to the Hk-416, but with added features such as laser target illumination and the use of a different metal, inter alia.

It has also been anounced that Turkey has become the 5'th nation in the world to have attained the ability to design and manufacture Modern Tank Turrets. Minister Gonul officially inaugurated the manufacturing plant yesterday for this sole purpose.

Last edited by Khan_Han; 05 Jan 08,, 21:32.

Originally posted by Khan_Han View Post
    It has also been anounced that Turkey has become the 5'th nation in the world to have attained the ability to design and manufacture Modern Tank Turrets.
    Britain, US, France, (China?), Russia, Germany, India; thats 7 and counting, no?
    Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
    -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

Originally posted by Tronic View Post
      Britain, US, France, (China?), Russia, Germany, India; thats 7 and counting, no?
      Counting like that, there will be more than 7. What the Turks are doing is innovation not reverse engineered copies. China and India manufacture under licence from Russia.

Whereas, Turkey is developing new generation of turrets. It has developed and dedicated a whole Factory (With 500,000 sq m of floor space) for the design, testing and manufacture of turrets.
      Last edited by Khan_Han; 05 Jan 08,, 23:05.

Comment

Counting like that, there will be more than 7. What the Turks are doing is innovation not reverse engineered copies. China and India manufacture under licence from Russia.

Whereas, Turkey is developing new generation of turrets.
        Sorry Khan, I'm going to have to disagree with you here. The Indian gun on the Arjun is an indegeneously designed smoothbore gun; kindly tell me which Russian gun compares with it? And as for China, I think that they had also developed a smoothbore gun from what I have heard, though I don't know for sure (and hence the question mark in my previous post).

Comment

Sorry Khan, I'm going to have to disagree with you here. The Indian gun on the Arjun is an indegeneously designed smoothbore gun; kindly tell me which Russian gun compares with it? And as for China, I think that they had also developed a smoothbore gun from what I have heard, though I don't know for sure (and hence the question mark in my previous post).
          According to my sources the Turret for the Arjun was developed with assistance from DENEL of South Africa (which in turn had assistance from France). In fact, the Indian Bhim, a 155 mm self-propelled howitzer (a variant of the Arjun) has been prototyped by fitting the South African Denel T6 turret, which comes with the G5 howitzer to the Arjun chassis. Evidence of this is wide spread in India as DENEL had recently become involved in a corruption scandal, and hence the Indian Ministry of Defence has suspended the Bhim.

Comment

According to my sources the Turret for the Arjun was developed with assistance from DENEL of South Africa (which in turn had assistance from France).
            Khan, which sources?

In fact, the Indian Bhim, a 155 mm self-propelled howitzer (a variant of the Arjun) has been prototyped by fitting the South African Denel T6 turret, which comes with the G5 howitzer to the Arjun chassis. Evidence of this is wide spread in India as DENEL had recently become involved in a corruption scandal, and hence the Indian Ministry of Defence has suspended the Bhim.
            Yes, the Bhim is an entirely different project (artillery and not a tank) and is suppose to be a hybrid between the Arjun and T6.
            Last edited by Tronic; 05 Jan 08,, 23:49.

Comment

I thought G3s were going to be replaced with M-16s.

Comment

so this is basicly a HK-416 with a few extra Gimnicks?

Comment

so this is basicly a HK-416 with a few extra Gimnicks?
                  There is no even some gimmicks on rifle. ordinary copy of HK-416.

Comment

in that case I dont understand the "indigenous" part. Then it is just a licensed foreign weapon, isn't it?

Comment

Is it licensed?

Comment

Don't judge a book by its cover...The appearance is apt to mislead.

Albeit, the Mehmetcik-1 may look like an exact replica of the HK-416 it is not. The only similarity between the two rifles is ergonomics/appearance.

The Mehmetcik-1 utilises a Turkish designed and manufactured mechanism,
                        A Proprietary Steel- the product of extensive metalurgical study by MKEK
                        Has different dimensions and has add-on features which the HK-616- D10RS and HK-616-D145RS does not have.

Amongst other differences which the MKEK did not release details of.

Do you really believe Heckler & Koch would have allowed the Turks to produce such weapon under licence or even more allow them to copy it... Come on guys!

Comment

Khan, which sources?

Yes, the Bhim is an entirely different project (artillery and not a tank) and is suppose to be a hybrid between the Arjun and T6.
                          DRDO Bhavan does not state that. According to them the T6 is a derivative of the Arjun. It is also no secret that DENEL has been very active in this area in India. Do you know of any Indian company which specifically has been incorporated to design, test and manufacture turrets? They have all been the product of joint-ventures and co-production between DRDO and International Firms.

Comment

Not the differences!
                            Last edited by Khan_Han; 06 Jan 08,, 01:33.

Comment

it is a rifle build from custom parts, ideas aren,t new, new stell doesn,t make it a new rifle, neither does slightly resheped stock, it is a remake at best.
                              the only new and prbly indigenous rifle that came out recantly, is abakan.
                              "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X