X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nastle
    replied
    Soviet expeditionary force in the 80s

Were the soviets capable of sustained ( i.e > 3 months ) of military operations in areas that were not geographically close to the the USSR ?
    In other words did they have the capability to muster a expeditionary force comprising of air/sea /land elements to fight overseas average size enemy like lets say Egypt ?
    If so what would such a force consist of ? Naval marine units ? Paratroopers ?

I'm thinking of a scenario lets say in early 80s Libya and Egypt war flares up and soviets decide to intervene to prevent fall of GaddAFI , DID they have the force to do so ? Assuming Israel and USA does not come to Egypts aid

Leave a comment:

• Doktor
    replied
    Originally posted by Mihais View Post
    That's the proper military way of writing and speaking.The receiver has to understand what's being told regardless if he wants to get it or not,no matter how stressful the circumstances.
    Mihais, It is socking for this civilian who had trouble to go through all your acronyms.

I can see why it is written like that. Some politico will read them, too, at some point of time ;)

Leave a comment:

• lemontree
    replied
    Thank you, Gunny, for this good collection of documents.

Leave a comment:

• Mihais
    replied
    Originally posted by Doktor View Post
    What is most interesting to me in these documents, and same can be seen in all declassified documents on both sides, is the fact that they are all written so a 4 grade school can understand them. Says a lot about intended recipients.
    That's the proper military way of writing and speaking.The receiver has to understand what's being told regardless if he wants to get it or not,no matter how stressful the circumstances.

Leave a comment:

• Doktor
    replied
    What is most interesting to me in these documents, and same can be seen in all declassified documents on both sides, is the fact that they are all written so a 4 grade school can understand them. Says a lot about intended recipients.

Leave a comment:

• S2
    replied
    I took a look at some articles from the 1978 cache of documents. Everything had been originally written in the mid-sixties. TOP SECRET with limited and very exclusive distribution was for source protection. Yet the articles, while immensely valuable for a variety of historical and technical reasons, weren't necessarily relevant to threat conditions in 1978. The Soviet Army was a markedly more dangerous and modernized foe by 1978.

Still, this is an extraordinary collection of documents and I'm grateful for the opportunity to review them.

Leave a comment:

• Gun Grape
    replied
    Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
    She was born on March 30, 1968 so not that old....
    Well played

Leave a comment:

• YellowFever
    replied
    She was born on March 30, 1968 so not that old....

Leave a comment:

• Doktor
    replied
    She is that old?!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I was not aware they are on reunion. How you knew?
    Girlfriend went to an all girls' night out at the concert.

Leave a comment:

• junoth1001
    replied
    Excellent sources. wish I had access to them at Uni!

Leave a comment:

• Doktor
    replied
    Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
    As opposed going to the Back Street Boys reunion? Thank your lucky stars!
    I was not aware they are on reunion. How you knew?

Leave a comment:

• S2
    replied
    Outstanding, Gunny. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• YellowFever
    replied
    Back Street Boys reunion.....

Wow...

And I thought Benny going to a Madonna concert was weird....

Anyway, thanks for the links, Gunny.

This makes up for you slacking with the dead chick pics for the last few months.
    Last edited by YellowFever; 13 Jul 13,, 08:23.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Damn it Gunny. There goes my vacation :(
    As opposed going to the Back Street Boys reunion? Thank your lucky stars!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X