No announcement yet.

We Were Caught Unprepared: The 2006 Hezbollah-israeli War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I stand corrected on the Army not developing COIN doctrine post-Vietnam. Unfortunately, it wasn't institutionalized in the force :(

Small Wars Council - View Single Post - Revising FM 3-24: What needs to change?
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Shek Reply-Institutionalizing COIN

"Unfortunately, it wasn't institutionalized in the force"

Maybe there's a better chance now based upon key personalities.

Institutionalizing COIN: Some Gates Thoughts
      "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
      "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

EBO/SOD and Hezbollah-Israel

Shek has got be digging a bit on some processes and conceptual frameworks for strategic planning that are new to me-particularly Systemic Operational Design as opposed to Effects-Based Operations. EBO was a new concept that was evolving as I left the military in 1992. Generally geared toward synchonization of assets to generate a synergistic effect that reached beyond the first order.

Two studies have emerged about Israel/POG that somewhat illustrate the EBO/SOD dilemma. One was the article attached to the thread title. It seems to be gaining notoriety through time. The other is Avi Kober's, "The Israeli Defense Force in the Second Lebanon War," Journal of Strategic Studies. vol 31 No.1 3-40 (February 2008)

I'm having some difficulty finding it. Don't know why. EDIT: Now I know why-it's not free. Still, there's an interesting study that's spun off that document-

The 2006 Lebanon Campaign and the Future of Warfare: Implications for Army and Defense Policy-Dr. Stephen Biddle and Jeffrey Friedman

I'll include it here for now. It's certainly applicable. I sense, however, that there'll be a thread sometime in the future discussing EBO/SOD in its full and unvarnished range of possibilities. Until then...
        Last edited by S2; 01 May 10,, 09:04.
        "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Before I start reading articles, would you mind explaining what EBO and SOD actually are? I'm interested in hearing what people have to say about Lebanon 2006 (having been there) and would like to compare it to my own outlook on the war.
          Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

bigross86 Reply

"Before I start reading articles, would you mind explaining what EBO and SOD actually are?"

Better to let the articles tell you. I'd pick up Shek's discussion on the POWERPOINT thread at the underlined point and then add "WE WERE CAUGHT UNPREPARED" and the added Biddle/Friedman contribution. Then see if you can make sense of it.

Comment

Thankx. I've got plenty homework and studying so I don't quite know when I'll get around to it, but I plan on reading it at some point.

As long as we're on the topic, I remember a while back the Colonel posted something about Deep Battle and Lebanon 2006. Does anybody know of any links I could use?
              Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Working...
              X