Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Iranian AAA

Attached Files
    “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Classic!

Spinal Tap Volume 11

“the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

I don't see a crew station on the 8 barreled contraption, probably an automated anti-cruise missile point defense system. Not enough ammo for sustained firings. Each barrel probably puts 3-4 rounds down range to create a flak curtain.

Comment

Zraver

"I don't see a crew station on the 8 barreled contraption..."

Yeah but those guys can go to "eleven", man...
        "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
        "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

I bet it makes dam good coffee!:)):))
          Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Why, in the top left pic is everyone bar the generals wearing face masks?
            The best part of repentance is the sin

Comment

chakos Reply

"Why, in the top left pic is everyone bar the generals wearing face masks?"

Body odor or C.I.A. kidnappers. Their AAA armaments industry is full of many top scientists and engineers whom we MUST have. Just look at their ingenuity.;)
              "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Originally posted by S-2 View Post

Body odor or C.I.A. kidnappers. Their AAA armaments industry is full of many top scientists and engineers whom we MUST have. Just look at their ingenuity.;)
                :))
                Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by S-2 View Post

^^ This. The genius of welding 8 ea 1950's vintage cannon together; I cannot get over it. This is something we never could have thought of. I DEMAND our tax dollars yield such systems. Failing that, then yes I fully endorse the kidnapping of these certified welders.

Comment

Oh cmon guys... apart from the fact that the system is almost completelly useless outside the anti-helo/anti-infantry roles (and in both roles the amount of barrels is a little bit on the overkill side) the setup does look extremely cool in a Warhammer 40k Imperial army kind of way..
                    The best part of repentance is the sin

Comment

I know that these weapons are junk but Iran's military-industrial complex is relatively new and doesnt compare to the length and investment as that which existed in the US and parts of Europe over the past 100 years or so. For much of the period between 1953 - 1979 Iran's armed forces were equipped almost exclusively with American military systems and hardware. Technology that Iran's armed-forces were largely not competent to use without long-term oversight and training by American handlers. The Shah of Iran continually purchased new American military technology every few years and so did not give the Iranian armed forces enough time to effectively adapt to and absorb this technology, he just kept dumping new hardware and systems on them expecting miracles to happen.

It was only late during his reign that his regime attempted to invest in an indigenous MIC in Iran. Then the revolution took place in 1979 which saw the Shah’s army effectively destroyed from the top down. Iran after the revolution had to produce a new armed forces literally from scratch. The war with Iraq followed shortly after in 1980. Iran had few professional soldiers left to repel Iraq; more jets than pilots, few spare parts, few technicians, limited capacity to produce replacements etc. The army was made-up mainly by partistans who had no military training or experience save what they actually experienced in battle. It was from these partisans that Iran's parallel army was born; the IRGC.

The remnants of the Shah’s old army still exist today, but the new revolutionary army is only around 30 years old and was drawn from revolutionary and religious ideologues; people that had no training, technical skill or experience in warfare or developing, producing and maintaining competent military systems. Whatever experience and knowledge they have of warfare was acquired from what Iran experienced in the 8 years or war with Iraq.

You should bear that all in mind. Iran’s post-revolutionary regime has less than 30 years of experience in developing weapons systems.

Comment

1980s Reply

"You should bear that all in mind. Iran’s post-revolutionary regime has less than 30 years of experience in developing weapons systems."

Well, they certainly aren't constrained by conventional thinking.

What worries me is when that eight barreled thingy is ordered to fix bayonets.

Comment

4 Barreled Recoil-less Rifle

If you look closely at the second picture of the eight-barreled AAA weapon you'll see what looks like a 4 barreled recoil-less rifle system behind it.

Comment

What worries me is when that eight barreled thingy is ordered to fix bayonets.
                            Or light sabers!!!

Comment

Originally posted by chakos View Post
                              Oh cmon guys... apart from the fact that the system is almost completelly useless outside the anti-helo/anti-infantry roles (and in both roles the amount of barrels is a little bit on the overkill side) the setup does look extremely cool in a Warhammer 40k Imperial army kind of way..
                              I dunno, those those look like 2A7 23mm guns. If so it has an AAA range of about 2km and a combined RoF of 6800 rounds per minute. Not enough range for anti-helo work. However, in a 3 gun battery configuration where all the guns work together the guns could cover an approach to a target from 4-12km wide depending on interconnected fire zones. Definitely enough range to cover a valley or draw which our cruise missiles tend to use for their attack ingress.

Its just a poor mans Gatling, instead of multiple barrels and one breach its multiple complete guns, same effect. Reloading is going to be a biatch, the radar is probably second rate, old or both. However, for what it is, I like it. The 23mm round is no joke in the AAA mode.

Comment

Working...
                              X