Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iran regrets India’s launch of Israeli satellite

Iran regrets India’s launch of Israeli satellite

NEW DELHI: Accusing the U.S. of trying to drive a wedge between Iran and countries friendly to it, Tehran said New Delhi should have considered the launch of an Israeli spy satellite from a political standpoint and not take into account only commercial interests.

“We hope the issue could be considered from the political point of view. Our relationship with India is very strong and good. Many are trying to destroy the relationship between Iran and other friendly countries such as India. I hope the people and the government are wise and understanding. We hope that independent countries would not give space and technology to launch any spy instrument against friendly countries,” Iran’s Ambassador to India Syed Mahdi Nabizadeh told newspersons here on Monday.

“The U.S. continues to be hostile and even today is trying to create problems between Iran and its friendly countries. We expect friendly countries to realise this fact and not affect their relationship with Iran,” he said.

Asked about the status of India’s request for access to Afghanistan through the Iranian port of Chabar since both countries had a stake in stabilising Kabul, the Ambassador restricted his observations to hoping that India, Iran and Pakistan, countries with immediate stakes for stability in the region, would cooperate in rebuilding Afghanistan.

“Iran and India have very good cooperation. They are continuing to cooperate.”

On the United Arab Emirates’ grant of a military base to France close to Iran’s borders, the Ambassador said, “as we have experienced, giving base to a superpower is not in the interest of that country. We hope it would realise the consequences and it would not be long-term.”

He warned that any attempt by Israel to bomb Iran’s nuclear facilities would spell devastation for the region.

“I hope that countries in the region would not let Israel make such an attack. It will impact and be devastative for countries of the region.”

On nuclear energy, the Ambassador pointed out that Iran was a member of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) which had “always overseen our activity.” Iran required 20,000 MW of nuclear energy of which the Bushehr plant would provide only 5 per cent of the requirement.

Maintaining that Iran had given answers to most of the questions posed by the IAEA, he said the international body had not reported any diversion of Iran’s nuclear programme.

The Hindu : Front Page : Iran regrets India’s launch of Israeli satellite
    Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
    -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

You have to keep in mind that any country that works along with Israel is considered bad in Irans views and opinions although Israel has threatened no country and Iran continues to threaten them every chance the media gives. Iran is also keen to the fact that Pakistan works along with the U.S. and so does Israel and if India were to as well Irans influence and power in the region although they have oil is quickly shrinking.

“I hope that countries in the region would not let Israel make such an attack. It will impact and be devastative for countries of the region.”

The above is nothing more then "fearmongering" as Iran could not threaten any countries beside Israel. If Iran attacked Israel with a nuclear threat the fallout would reach the other countires and they would intern attack Iran under the preface of the fallout from the explosion.
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 06 Feb 08,, 18:45.
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

the basic thing is that the paper that published this article is a commie a$$ licker, it never wants INDIA to move forward. The same paper would never publish the movements of chineese forces on the border with INDIA in north east, but would put these kind of good for nothing news on the front pages.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
        You have to keep in mind that any country that works along with Israel is considered bad in Irans views and opinions although Israel has threatened no country and Iran continues to threaten them every chance the media gives. Iran is also keen to the fact that Pakistan works along with the U.S. and so does Israel and if India were to as well Irans influence and power in the region although they have oil is quickly shrinking.

The above is nothing more then "fearmongering" as Iran could not threaten any countries beside Israel. If Iran attacked Israel with a nuclear threat the fallout would reach the other countires and they would intern attack Iran under the preface of the fallout from the explosion.

Dread, India needs Iran as a channel to Afghanistan. I'm not saying that India should go out of its way to help Iran; but India can show neutrality on the Iran issue. It is beyond me why our leaders are going out of their way to appear hostile to Iran. Just after that statement was released by Iran's ambassador; India's foriegn minister struck back with: India against more nuclear-weapon states: Pranab-India-The Times of India

Heck, look at Pakistan, despite being America's "major non-NATO ally", even they abstained from voting against Iran to refer it to the UN. Then why the heck did India have to vote against them? I think it was a totally pathetic move because being friendly with Iran is in India's interests. IMO, We should just stay out of the Iran issue and let it be dealt with Iran and the others by themselves.

Originally posted by raj View Post
        the basic thing is that the paper that published this article is a commie a$$ licker, it never wants INDIA to move forward. The same paper would never publish the movements of chineese forces on the border with INDIA in north east, but would put these kind of good for nothing news on the front pages.
        Man, we Indians just love politics, don't we. :P Anyways, maybe I should have just posted non-Indian sources:

RTTNews - Political News and Chatter, World Political News, Forex News, Earnings Revisions ....
        AKI - Adnkronos international India-Iran: Relations strained after spy satellite launch
        domain-b.com : Iran expresses concern to India over launch of Israeli spy satellite
        ISNA - 02-06-2008 - 86/11/17 - Service: / Foreign Policy / News ID: 1082498

;)
        Last edited by Tronic; 07 Feb 08,, 04:12.

Comment

Originally posted by Tronic View Post
          tally pathetic move because being friendly with Iran is in India's interests. IMO, We should just stay out of the Iran issue and let it be dealt with Iran and the others by themselves.
          Not so easy, especially for India. Either the UN means something to India or it does not. It is that simple. The UN has decided that Iran has violated the NPT. Either that means something to India or India should get off its high horse about following the UN.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
            Not so easy, especially for India. Either the UN means something to India or it does not. It is that simple. The UN has decided that Iran has violated the NPT. Either that means something to India or India should get off its high horse about following the UN.
            Yes, India should get off its high horse of following the UN. No sensible power does; everyone puts forth their own national interests first and besides, India has got nil for following the UN.

Comment

Hmm...tricky. However Iran as compared to the US has very limited assets and interests to offer to India. IMO...as far as the need factor is concerned...India needs the US more as compared to Iran. US definitely did a lot of load shifting in getting India vote against Iran. Moreover...from the history, we can clearly assess that Iran hasn't done any significant goody to India other than some political silence over certain issues like Kasmir and sometimes in the OPEC at Pakistan's chagrin.
              sigpicAnd on the sixth day, God created the Field Artillery...

Comment

Originally posted by Deltacamelately View Post
                Hmm...tricky. However Iran as compared to the US has very limited assets and interests to offer to India. IMO...as far as the need factor is concerned...India needs the US more as compared to Iran. US definitely did a lot of load shifting in getting India vote against Iran. Moreover...from the history, we can clearly assess that Iran hasn't done any significant goody to India other than some political silence over certain issues like Kasmir and sometimes in the OPEC at Pakistan's chagrin.
                Right but Delta, the point being that why must we choose one over the other? Why does it have to be US over Iran; or Iran over US? Pakistan has even a worse record then Iran of nuclear proliferation and breeding terrorism but does the US choose India over Pakistan, or Pakistan over India? No. Because it is in America's interest to be friendly to Pakistan and the same way it is in India's interest to stay on good terms with Iran. I'm not saying support Iran, i'm just saying that we should stay out of the Iran affair altogether. Indian government should stop making useless ranting about being against anymore nuclear states and such; because unless you can do something about it, it is better to just shut up rather then raise tensions between another nation. Staying on good terms with Iran will mean that we can have a stable link with another Indian ally in the region; Afghanistan.

Comment

@Tronic

Point taken buddy. I was just suggesting that the US did a lot of back bending to ensure that India voted against Iran in lieu of certain strategic give and takes. The govt. it seems couldn't maintain neutrality and still continue the CBMs with the US at the sametime. It caved in. And yes you are correct..its better to keep shut when things are beyond your control rather than keep ranting in chorus.

Comment

Deltacamelately,

Why should India support Iran, when it doesnt suit our national interest. USA and Israel are important to us. The notions of Iran are far from noble, Wipe Israel and jews of the map. We cannot support that. And it is also in our interest to limit the number of people having nuclear weapons.

Iran's nuclear program and their Space program closely linked. If the Americans and West dont do anything, they will have an Iranian ICBM flying soon.

Added Later: Russia, China and India all voted against Iran. They were all supposed to be their friends. Russia this week announced they believe Space program of Iran is a cover up for ICBM.
                    Last edited by Adux; 09 Feb 08,, 14:30.

Comment

@Adu

Did I say so? I myself believe Govt. of India should come down from its high horse and start doing some realpolitik. I've already stated that the US is definitely more imp to us than Iran. However I do feeel that the US did some amount of arm twisting in getting India vote against Iran....which it couldn't do or didn't do with Pakistan....its Major Non NATO ally...and GOI caved in. Tronic's argument is...Why should we be forced to chose sides? And I solicit to his argument. India should be free to chose its own path of FP rather than being bullied. GOI needs some calcium dose for its spine.

Comment

DCL,

Not only India, but China and Russia also voted against Iran, US is arm-twisting not for the vote, but for stopping IPI, which I am also not in favour, not because of the two I's in it, but rather the 'P'

And about India being forced, it shouldnt be. It shouldnt have to, we carry so much weight. But then again this government of ours is the weakest ever, especially in the history of the congress party. I hope you heard about the Chinese informal protest about our PM going to AP, and I also hope you heard about CPM reaction to it, "We shouldnt utter anything to provoke, Chinese are friends". Traitors.
                        Last edited by Adux; 09 Feb 08,, 14:35.

Comment

Commy Bastards! However...Arm Twisting is Arm Twisting...be it for whatever reasons...good or bad. And if we really carry so much weight...how come somebody do this....and why did we get twisted? Bad sign for the longer run. US is friend....no debates on this....BUT...it has to respect our Sovereignity in deciding what to vote and whom to vote. India is no infant nation state that has to be led by the finger.

Comment

DCM,

US hasnt been able to arm twist us, Iranian vote is not because of arm-twisting of the US. It is in our interest to make sure Iran doesnt have a bomb. US trying to arm0twist India to not going forward with IPI has failed, So, therefore US hasnt been successful. There is only one country that can armtwist us, that is the Russians. There is tacit approval of everything Russians, but then again no other country has used its veto power, its nuclear help, economic help, its geo-political weight for the Indians, as much as the Russians.

Comment

Problem with Commie's is the same as the Islamic variety,
                              The ideology is more important than nation, Therefore according to our consitution they are traitors. Try the today's Hindu Newspaper, Page .14, lower side. You will see External Affairs Ministery Rebuttal of Chinese informal protest about PM, All the while writing editorial after editorial about wrong's of USA and nuclear deal.

I cant believe how they became such a biased and anti-nationalist newspaper.

Comment

Working...
                              X