Defending a modern city

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defending a modern city

Hi there, sorry for a rookie post but I couldn't find a good answer on here so I thought I'd ask.

With the situation in Libya getting worse everyday, the rebel leaders have found themselves backed into a shrinking corner. I was wondering what the best strategy for these leaders would be? With the limited knowledge we have we know they have a large willing force of soldiers, a core of defected military men (who as far as I can tell haven't done anything), AK's and RPG's, some tanks and apparently some planes too.

Thanks for anyones input and opinion.

Well it depends on if you wan the city to be completely unharmed or if you just want to hold the city. To hold the city I would spread out the infantry forces into the buildings on the edges and make RPGs very available for any enemy armor. Assuming that the troops know the city lay out they can move easily and provide a resistance against any invading force. If the invading force is at all well equipped then it will have aircraft to bombard the city, so the defending aircraft will have to engage the enemy or set up AA posts through out the city to prevent enemy air attacks. With the defending forces aircraft they should be used to supply the city with supplies it needs to keep fighting (food and ammo). Defending tanks and vehicular support would best be deployed against enemy infantry because it can hold its own assuming the crew knows how to use it. If they have land mines or IEDs then they could place them at key entry points of the city that the enemy will be using to enter the city. Which city is this by the way? If i have a map of it and the surrounding area i could probably come up with a better plan. (NOTE i am not a strategist at all, this is just what i would do, correct where me you see necessary.)

And dont be afraid to rookie post, just make sure you know about the topic at hand.
    -MARX

Comment

Originally posted by marx View Post
      ...And dont be afraid to rookie post, just make sure you know about the topic at hand.
      The same applies to responses marx. There are people here that do know something about the topic at hand, you're not one of them.

Just because you can type something doesn't mean you should type something. It may have a tendency to aggravate the professionals.

mkay?
      "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

I think marx was designed to aggravate OOE in every way possible.
        "Who says organization, says oligarchy"

Comment

Originally posted by highsea View Post
          The same applies to responses marx. There are people here that do know something about the topic at hand, you're not one of them.

Just because you can type something doesn't mean you should type something. It may have a tendency to aggravate the professionals.

mkay?
          I just thought i would post my opinion, I know im not a strategy professional, or a strategist at all, but my plan seemed pretty good to me.
          Well me and the OOE just dont see eye to eye on most topics.
          -MARX

Comment

I just thought i would post my opinion, I know im not a strategy professional, or a strategist at all, but my plan seemed pretty good to me.
            1) The battles are underway. That should tell you what they are doing and what they are not doing.

2) This is the Sahara. The tactics may change the fundamentals does not. In a word, water.

3) Water.

4) Water.

Well me and the OOE just dont see eye to eye on most topics.
            And why is that?

Comment

You have had more experiences than me in the world and therefor you disagree with most of my ideas because from what you have seen and done you believe that my ideas are impossible and will never happen. However I believe that humanity can change given the right circumstances. (I thinks thats pretty much why)
              -MARX

Comment

Of course people change.They used to sleep on animal skin,now they have beds&sheets.Now,what's fundamentally changed in that?
                Those who know don't speak
                He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

From my observations and IMHO, they need training, coordination and better communications. They already have weapons and motivated men. The only way I could see this happening on their terms is if they could hire someone to come in and run things at some level. They would need professionally run training camps, experienced advisers and probably some complete units of trained men to hold things until they were ready. Some skilled artillery engineers could probably do wonders with their rocket technicals - convert them from self destructive, psychological weapons into useful area attack artillery. If they could coordinate their efforts and then work effectively with International support, they might win.

Of course I am only a historian/engineer and have never commanded men in combat or been responsible for a military operation, my insight comes from teachers, reading and study, so I could be interpreting this wrong.
                  Last edited by USSWisconsin; 17 Apr 11,, 04:16. Reason: removed "NATO"
                  sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                  If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

This thread is moved to accomodate the overwhelming bent to discuss this issue only within the context of Libya. Further, integration of NATO airstrikes makes the issue far more than simply a "Ground Forces" issue.

I've my doubts about the value of the thread and its overall quality to date but that's a separate matter. For now it'll remain open. Let's leave the personal content in the baby crib and get on with the business of discussing this or...ignore it so it can be closed.
                    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

You have had more experiences than me in the world and therefor you disagree with most of my ideas because from what you have seen and done you believe that my ideas are impossible and will never happen. However I believe that humanity can change given the right circumstances. (I thinks thats pretty much why)
                      Son,

You have one saving grace so far. You're willing to think. But what you are missing is that being humanitarian means squat all. Being the toughest, meanest, SOB on the block dictates the behaviour of the block.

But that is getting ahead of this thread. This thread specifically refers to the Libyan Civil War. What you wrote has no basis on the combat that is currently happenning.

In other words, shut the HELL UP and study what is going on INSTEAD OF WHAT YOU WISH TO GO ON. I AM NOT GOING TO STUDY YOUR INFANTILE POSTING. However, I WILL STUDY the defence of Mistara.

Comment

Instead of posting the AT on the edges of the city and trying to keep them out, maybe it's a better idea to let them enter the city where you can ambush them easier.

Although that would eliminate chances for air support from the coalition, as they won't be happy to bomb in an urban area.
                        "Football is war."

-Rinus Michels

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                          However, I WILL STUDY the defence of Mistara.
                          Sir,so far I did not found much about it.We don't know who,with what and how,either on the loyalist side or the rebels.Until more intel is available I'm not sure of the attack in the first place.We have bombardments(or what the press calls such) and we have some ground actions reported,which given the rest of Libya could mean mere drive-by shootings or wasting ammo in the air.We don't have reports of casualties on either side that would suggest heavy fighting.
                          I confess I did not followed the war for a few days.If there are any reports coming from the AO that change that picture I'm going to reconsider the above.
                          Those who know don't speak
                          He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

What we do know.

1) Qaddafy's armour had free reign of the city during the day time for a few weeks, coming and going to the city centre at will. For whatever reason, they never stayed the night.

2) The city is still fighting.

3) The rebels are being resupplied by sea.

4) We have pictures of burned armoured hulls.

5) NATO is bombing Qaddafy's logistics.

6) For whatever reason, Qaddafy's superior armour is being replaced by technicals, either because to avoid bombing or they're running out of fuel, munitions, or spare parts.

In short, either by choice or by limitations, Qaddafy's technological edge over the rebels is being eroded. Unlike other rebels, this bunch have nerve and will.
                            Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 18 Apr 11,, 21:27.

Comment

Wall fortifications. That's the ticket. :D

Comment

Working...
                              X