Britain back in the Gulf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Britain back in the Gulf?

A paper for the Royal United Services Institute 'A Return to East of Suez? UK Military Deployment to the Gulf' says it's "undeclared policy":

'Just as the UK's withdrawal in 1971 created a security vacuum that drew the US, somewhat unwillingly, further into the affairs of the Gulf, the US's cooling of its engagement seems to be drawing the UK back in,' write Stansfield and Kelly.

'With the only remaining significant operation in which the US and UK work closely together coming to an unceremonious end in 2014, there is a clear need to 'do something' if the strategy of being close to the Americans - in terms of political norms, military interconnectivities and global influence - is to be maintained.'

RUSI - RUSI NEWS

BBC report; BBC News - 'East of Suez': Are UK forces returning?

Hmm.
    Last edited by snapper; 29 Apr 13,, 08:19.

This is pretty interesting. Its good to see a European power planning on stepping up in the region in light of the US's Pacific pivot. This analysis also seems to acknowledge the state of the British military (in that it is very small) and the role it would play in the area. I think it would have a positive impact to see UK forces return to that Gulf and cooperate with her allies in that way.

Comment

Originally posted by dan m View Post
      This is pretty interesting. Its good to see a European power planning on stepping up in the region in light of the US's Pacific pivot. This analysis also seems to acknowledge the state of the British military (in that it is very small) and the role it would play in the area. I think it would have a positive impact to see UK forces return to that Gulf and cooperate with her allies in that way.
      I haven't had the chance to watch the video yet, but seeing as how Britain started this ungodly mess in the middle east in the first place, her return to the region would definitely not be welcomed by anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by cataphract View Post
        I haven't had the chance to watch the video yet, but seeing as how Britain started this ungodly mess in the middle east in the first place, her return to the region would definitely not be welcomed by anyone.
        To be honest, I'm not familiar with what happened during the partitioning of the Ottoman Empire and the Middle East. However based on what was in the video, some countries in the Middle East must be interested in an increased UK military presence considering the following : A)Some of these countries are investing in British weapons systems B)There was already a British military presence in the Gulf C) The UK would probably have to obtain permission from the countries involved to set up bases there.

Comment

Working...
        X