No announcement yet.

Syrian Civil War Developments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He should be. Assad and Putin playing him like a fiddle.

Comment

• How do you say Machiavellian in arabic?

Comment

• Originally posted by XLAdept View Post
        How do you say Machiavellian in arabic?
        Mikafili. (ميكافيلي)
        "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• John Bolton's work, no doubt.

A small, flexible force of a couple thousand is obviously preferable to 150,000 troops. Let's hope that Trump isn't "slow-walked" by Bolton into a major deployment/ground war. There are probably 1000 people on WAB who would make a better NSA than Bolton, but we have the disadvantage of not being Fox News personalities.

Regardless of how much I personally dislike Mr. Erdogan and his foreign policy decisions, I still however don't like the idea of playing chicken with Turkey.

Syria war: Trump 'persuaded not to pull out immediately'

US officials say President Trump has been persuaded not to pull the military out of Syria immediately, despite his declaration last week that the US would "be coming out of Syria very soon".

Advisers reportedly convinced him that it could risk a resurgence by the Islamic State (IS) group.

The White House said on Wednesday the US military mission in Syria was coming to a "rapid end".

But it has not announced a timetable for a full troop withdrawal.

A statement said IS was almost completely destroyed, and that the US would consult its allies regarding future plans.

A senior administration official told NBC News that the president had agreed at a meeting on Tuesday to keep troops in Syria for an undetermined period, but "wasn't thrilled about it, to say the least".
          More here: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology

Just breaking, a Syrian airfield has been hit, and this could of course be wrong, but I'm going to guess it was a Tomahawk strike in retaliation for the most recent Syrian government gas attack that killed 70+ civilians in Ghouta.

Strikes hit Syrian airfield, state media report

A military airport in Syria has come under missile attack, the country's state media has reported.

It said several people were dead or wounded, and that Syrian air defence was responding.

Syrian TV said loud explosions had been heard near the T4 airbase in the city of Homs in the early hours of Monday.

"Several missiles hit the Tayfur airport," the state news agency SANA said.

Details are still emerging and the reports have not been independently verified.

The reports come amid global alarm over a suspected chemical attack on the rebel-held town of Douma, in Syria's Eastern Ghouta region.
          http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-43694588
          Last edited by Ironduke; 09 Apr 18,, 03:23.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
            Just breaking, a Syrian airfield has been hit, and this could of course be wrong, but I'm going to guess it was a Tomahawk strike in retaliation for the most recent Syrian government gas attack that killed 70+ civilians in Ghouta.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-43694588
            US denies missile strike:

However, a senior US administration official told CNN Sunday that reports from the region claiming US Tomahawk missiles had struck targets in Syria were not true. The Pentagon also issued a statement denying the attack.

"At this time, the Department of Defense is not conducting air strikes in Syria. However, we continue to closely watch the situation and support the ongoing diplomatic efforts to hold those who use chemical weapons, in Syria and otherwise, accountable," a Pentagon statement said.
            https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/08/middl...ntl/index.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Surreal McCoy View Post
              He should be. Assad and Putin playing him like a fiddle.
              A 5 year old child could play Trump like a fiddle. Same level of maturity too.
              Last edited by TopHatter; 09 Apr 18,, 13:47.
              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                being reported it was Israel with a couple of F-15's launching from outside of Syria.

Comment

• Originally posted by bfng3569 View Post
                  being reported it was Israel with a couple of F-15's launching from outside of Syria.
                  Israeli F-15s fired missiles from Lebanese airspace at the T4 airbase. Russia claims 5 of 8 missiles were intercepted with the remainder impacting and killing 14 people, mostly Iranians near a drone control center. Moscow is pretty upset since Russian forces and jets are present at T4 and the Kremlin wasn't notified prior to the attack.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
                    Israeli F-15s fired missiles from Lebanese airspace at the T4 airbase. Russia claims 5 of 8 missiles were intercepted with the remainder impacting and killing 14 people, mostly Iranians near a drone control center. Moscow is pretty upset since Russian forces and jets are present at T4 and the Kremlin wasn't notified prior to the attack.
                    I wonder if the Kremlin has the balls to retaliate against Israel. It could turn the Israel-Syria area into a shooting gallery very quickly.
                    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• All sorts of complicated over there now. Lavrov says Muscovite investigators say it never happened by the way. I wonder what Trumpkins 'big price' may be? Is this his 'red line' that criticised Obama about? Did his talking of getting out of Syria "very soon" embolden Assad? Will this now be reversed? For Macron it seems the line has been crossed. Probably for Britain too. Will Trump go with the allies if they go after Assad? What do the Muscovites do then? Yea sure partly this Obama's fault for drawing his misguided (in my view) "red line" and then backing down to a Muscovite fudge when some serious action then could have removed this butcher Assad forever. I seem to recall the British House of Commons voted against getting involved around the same time so Obama was not alone. Now we face the real possibility of serious escalation - how far will Israel go? I presume they had designated targets and reasons for those targets but if was response for the Douma gas attack that marks a change in normal Israeli policy. Of course they face the prospect of the same illegal weapons being used on them so you can understand their fears. My view is clear. Assad must go. I don't care if the Muscovites and Iranians get rid of him - or hand him over for War Crimes trials or the West has to go in and get him. There can be no peace with a war criminal puppet President of Iran and Moscow.

Comment

• What a load of horse puckey!

1) Only the US got the bomb load to go after Assad.
                        2) Israel was targetting Iranian drone control centres
                        3) We are not starting WWIII no matter what you want!

How about reading up on real time intel/news reports before spouting fantasy island.
                        Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
                          1) Only the US got the bomb load to go after Assad.
                          So what do you think Trumpkins "big price" may entail? I mean clearly hitting that empty airbase last year did not work.

Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
                          2) Israel was targetting Iranian drone control centres
                          T4 is where they run drones from? Seems a bit distant from the Israeli border.

3) We are not starting WWIII no matter what you want!
                          I most certainly do not want that. On the contrary I think doing nothing to protect international law makes a wider war more likely not less. It was the same with Hitler.

Comment

• Originally posted by snapper View Post
                            So what do you think Trumpkins "big price" may entail?
                            Your lack of respect for Trump means that even if he starts WWIII, you would think it's damned little.

Originally posted by snapper View Post
                            I mean clearly hitting that empty airbase last year did not work.
                            The destruction of 14 aircrafts, an entire squadron, reduced his delivery vehicles for 6-8 months until the Russians replaced those planes. Even if we take Assad's words that those were wrecked planes to begin with, they were clearly a source of spare parts that kept his other planes in the air that were now denied. Like I said, the AARs provided a much clearer assessement than your fantasy island assesements.

T4 is where they run drones from? Seems a bit distant from the Israeli border.
                            Are you now an expert in signal management? T4 to Israel ain't that big.

I most certainly do not want that.
                            Syria is under the Russian nuclear umbrella.

On the contrary I think doing nothing to protect international law makes a wider war more likely not less.
                            Which means whatever actions we take will NOT include takiing Assad to the Hague.

It was the same with Hitler.
                            Yes, you detest Chamberlanis "Peace In Our Time." But what you are ignoring that the alternative was turning the Sudetenland into a bloodfest worst than the Somme. 200,000 dead easily.
                            Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                              I wonder if the Kremlin has the balls to retaliate against Israel. It could turn the Israel-Syria area into a shooting gallery very quickly.
                              I think the timing of the strike has more to do with Iran honestly.

In the aftermath of the chemical attack and with the POTUS talking about a "big price to pay" Iran can't overtly retaliate against Israel for the strike on T4. At least not without running the risk that their forces deployed in Syria start looking like appealing targets to the Americans just as the US is putting together a reminder that there are bigger fish in the pond and consequences when you don't play by the rules.
                              Last edited by SteveDaPirate; 09 Apr 18,, 18:45.

Comment

• Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
                                Your lack of respect for Trump means that even if he starts WWIII, you would think it's damned little.
                                I do not respect Trump; the man is a lowlife money laundering crook. If he started WWlll I would respect less if that were possible.

The destruction of 14 aircrafts, an entire squadron, reduced his delivery vehicles for 6-8 months until the Russians replaced those planes. Even if we take Assad's words that those were wrecked planes to begin with, they were clearly a source of spare parts that kept his other planes in the air that were now denied. Like I said, the AARs provided a much clearer assessement than your fantasy island assesements.
                                Planes were using it the next day.

Are you now an expert in signal management? T4 to Israel ain't that big.
                                Certainly not but I question your claim that the Israeli's were after drone command there. Do you have proof of this?

Syria is under the Russian nuclear umbrella.
                                First not sure what has got to do with me not wish to see WW3. Second I seem to recall you saying that Ukraine was also under Moscow's "nuclear umbrella" yet it hasn't stopped us sending them home Cargo 200 trucks. You really think Moscow would launch nuclear weapons for Assad?

Which means whatever actions we take will NOT include takiing Assad to the Hague.
                                Like I said I don't give a hoot if the Muscovites and Iranians get rid of him themselves. He can go live out his days in Tehran or Moscow.

Yes, you detest Chamberlanis "Peace In Our Time." But what you are ignoring that the alternative was turning the Sudetenland into a bloodfest worst than the Somme. 200,000 dead easily.
                                If it had prevented WW2 which cost 50 - 80m lives it would have been cheap but the French should have stopped it at the start; the re-occupation of the Rhineland which was contrary to the Treaties.

P.S See https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-is...er&via=desktop
                                Last edited by snapper; 09 Apr 18,, 19:46.

Comment

Working...
                                X