No announcement yet.

Syrian Civil War Developments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the translation,although I kinda figured out.This stuff is usually standard.Bla-bla,criminals/apostates,bla-bla-enemies of the people.Boom-boom.
    Normal thing,civil war level atrocities.I've no doubt the other side is equally vicious.I know I'd be worse.If it's a scare contest,let them make their pants brown.
    What makes me sick is a strange history of alliance between the US/the West and this particular sort of a$$holes.Bosnia-big friendship.Kosovo,same.9/11-Oh,crap moment.Irak,A-stan we sorta kill them,gently,not to pi$$ civilians and Pakistanis.Arab spring revolts-,US is again their biggest friend and pal.

To hell with this.Slava Rossii! :slap:
    Those who know don't speak
    He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

• Originally posted by Mihais View Post
      I've no doubt the other side is equally vicious.

On the outskirts of Damascus is a walled compound known to the Syrian regime as Far' Falastin (Palestinian Wing).

The tortures that transpire within this facility are... beyond conveyance.
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Minskaya View Post

On the outskirts of Damascus is a walled compound known to the Syrian regime as Far' Falastin (Palestinian Wing).

The tortures that transpire within this facility are... beyond conveyance.
        I've no doubt this is true.I also see a difference and I may be even a bit biased.If those imprisoned there right now are prisoners of war,breaking them into pieces is a way for quick intel.Which helps Assad,his cronies,the sadists that torture prisoners,but also millions of innocent Christians and Allawites.Putting it simply,if the AQ wins,communities which lived there before Islam came to life will die or will be expelled by the millions.If Assad wins,a modus vivendi with the Sunnis will eventually be found and syria will return to what it was.The majority only wants peace in a civil war,particularly when one is going on in your neighbourhood.Unlike the Christians and the Allawites,the majority of Sunnis know they won't die,so they won't fight to the death.Yeah,folks will be kiiled or will flee.Yeah,the pro-Assad troops are likely torturing,robbing and killing as we speak,just like their foes.But this is normal for this sort of war.What is not normal(nor desirable) is what will happen if AQ wins.
        He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

• Originally posted by zraver View Post
          That video proves that we have no business arming the rebels. Let the Syrians fight it out amongst themselves.
          Has there been any change in Assad's position or is this just a reinforcing move to keep the rebels morale up.

This board has pretty much made its mind up on what you said and i've not seen any ways to counter.

The risk is the same, engulfing, Lebanon, Jordan & Iraq. Meanwhile Israel has lots of balls in the air to juggle.

Syria, biting off more than they can chew
          Last edited by Double Edge; 18 May 13,, 01:22.

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
            Has there been any change in Assad's position or is this just a reinforcing move to keep the rebels morale up.

This board has pretty much made its mind up on what you said and i've not seen any ways to counter.

The risk is the same, engulfing, Lebanon, Jordan & Iraq. Meanwhile Israel has lots of balls in the air to juggle.

Syria, biting off more than they can chew
            Well,Assad's boys are starting to kick some AQ butts,for a start.The rebels had the upper hand for a long time.they failed,however,to exploit their early victories.The loyalists are now pretty much reduced to a hard core,who also happens to be very experienced and under a single command.Add in the Russian&Iranian weapons,the Hezbollah veterans from Lebanon and we have a solid force.
            The rebels are also an experienced force,but their very nature was/is fragmented.The only ones with some sort of unity are the radicals.Thus,their proeminence.

Comment

That video proves that we have no business arming the rebels. Let the Syrians fight it out amongst themselves.
              There are no 'good guys' fighting in Syria. There are only killers and civilians. A poison-pill civil war.
              sigpic

Comment

• I just came across this very good radio interview with CJ Chivers

He describes the state of things in Syria very well.

C.J. Chivers: On The Ground In Syria : NPR

The United States finds itself in a pretty unenviable position. So did the Syrians. I mean, this war, when you look at it, could not have worse timing. It really couldn't. It came sort of, if you will, into the public consciousness at the tail-end of the Arab Spring, after, you know, the intervention in Libya had gone not so well.

It came during, you know, it really rose in the, you know, in the public discourse and in terms of the application of violence, really accelerated in 2012, an election year in the United States where the electorate was exhausted by war financially. Emotionally exhausted by war. And had no interest in being involved in another one, or very little interest in being involved in another one.

It came, you know, later in the cycle, if you will, of the way the Arab Springs were playing out, and with very cunning savvy leadership in terms of calibrating the tactics of the war to what they thought that the West could tolerate. And by that I mean, you know, the Assad government did not do what the government or the Gadhafi family did in Libya, where it came out of the gates in Libya hard and fast with armored columns, you know, bearing down on Benghazi. You know, immediate use of attack jets, you know, dropping, you know, dumb bombs on the road outside of Benghazi right in front of the foreign reporters. Which kind of galvanized international will and gave it a sense of immediacy.

And, you know, what Gadhafi got for that was, you know, the U.N. Security Council resolution which authorized intervention. He got, you know, U.N. 1973. The Assad government seems to have looked at that and has realized that you don't come out with everything at once. You spin this thing click by click or you move it like a dimmer on your wall. You brighten the lights a little bit at a time.

And so you start with arrests and batons and you move to bullets, and from bullets, you know, you move to the army being involved. And you get the mortars, you get the 107 millimeter rockets. And then you gradually move up to artillery. And then you escalate a little bit by rolling out your air force. But when you roll out your air force, you start with helicopters. You don't go right to jets.

They didn't go to - you know, they didn't start using their attack jets against the towns until last summer. And then you go to, from there, to ballistic missiles. And now perhaps to chemical weapons, which would be the last piece, you know, the last arrow, if you will, left in the quiver. And if you follow this sort of boil the frog slowly policy, you sort of, you know, sensitize your political opponents outside of the country.

The West has watched this step by step and not really taken action beyond rhetorical action. And the Syrian government knows that. And they've sort of escalated the ante so slowly, so methodically, so smartly, that they've almost paralyzed the West. And so the West now finds itself in this position where it's tolerated all of these things. There's never been sort of a trigger moment.

And it's got a population, you know, in our case in the United States, that seems to not want to be involved, that there aren't a lot of good options. There aren't a lot of clear paths. And even if there were, it's not clear what you would do to solve this. I mean I don't, you know, the West may be able to guide this conflict a little bit, certainly cannot control it.
                For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

• Syria's torture Archipelago. Virtually all of the various global nationals renditioned to Syria in the WoT were incarcerated in Branch 235 in Damascus.

Aleppo
                  MILITARY INTELLIGENCE BRANCH
                  GENERAL INTELLIGENCE BRANCH
                  --------------------------
                  Damascus
                  BRANCH 227
                  BRANCH 291
                  BRANCH 235 (Palestine Wing)
                  BRANCH 248
                  MEZZEH BRANCH
                  MEZZEH AIRPORT BRANCH
                  BAB TOUMA BRANCH
                  BRANCH 285
                  AL-KHATTIB BRANCH
                  BRANCH 215
                  -------------------------
                  Daraa
                  BRANCH 245
                  AIR FORCE INTELLIGENCE BRANCH
                  POLITICAL SECURITY BRANCH
                  Homs
                  BRANCH 318
                  Idlib
                  BRANCH 271
                  CENTRAL PRISON
                  Latakia
                  There are also ~50 sub-centers such as Raqqa (captured by rebel forces in late April 2013) where torture chambers were inspected/documented by human rights organizations.
                  sigpic

Comment

I agree with you Zraver. Thats what i have been saying all along.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zinja View Post
                      I agree with you Zraver. Thats what i have been saying all along.
                      These videos prove that there are clearly bad guys and many different agendas and interests at play, which of course, we already knew. We also know, of course, that this is a war between several parties on multiple fronts. If the regime falls, there will be follow up conflicts.

The question is, how do you deal with this? Are our interests better served by doing nothing and letting events spiral, or are they better served by supporting certain the groups that we can work with and making them more capable for both the fight now and the fight later on?

If our national interest is peace and love and keeping our hands spotlessly clean, then of course we have no options and the obvious answer is to stay out. If our interest rest in building a new nation with a spotless democratic government, then of course, that will never happen in Syria.

But the above things are not really our interests are they? They may be fond hopes, or wishes, or maybe even objectives, but those are not really the same as our interests.

I think, for the situation in Syria, we'd do well to figure out our cold hard national interests first, and proceed accordingly.

As an aside: the Iraq War did not end with us achieving our stated objectives, but did it serve our interests? Increasingly, I think history will be rather kind to George W. Bush.
                      Last edited by citanon; 18 May 13,, 21:25.

Comment

• Originally posted by citanon View Post
                        These videos prove that there are clearly bad guys and many different agendas and interests at play, which of course, we already knew. We also know, of course, that this is a war between several parties on multiple fronts. If the regime falls, there will be follow up conflicts.

The question is, how do you deal with this? Are our interests better served by doing nothing and letting events spiral, or are they better served by supporting certain the groups that we can work with and making them more capable for both the fight now and the fight later on?

If our national interest is peace and love and keeping our hands spotlessly clean, then of course we have no options and the obvious answer is to stay out. If our interest rest in building a new nation with a spotless democratic government, then of course, that will never happen in Syria.

But the above things are not really our interests are they? They may be fond hopes, or wishes, or maybe even objectives, but those are not really the same as our interests.

I think, for the situation in Syria, we'd do well to figure out our cold hard national interests first, and proceed accordingly.

As an aside: the Iraq War did not end with us achieving our stated objectives, but did it serve our interests? Increasingly, I think history will be rather kind to George W. Bush.
                        My starting point is there is no government that has ever fired a single shot, it it the citizens that fire the shots, at least on behalf of the government.

Alawites who are supposedly the main backers of Assad are less than 15% of the population, how can Assad subdue 85% of the population? A significant population of Syria supports Assad, we ignore this fact at our own peril. People deserve the government they support. We should learn from Iraq, do these people like the US/the West really? Or are they not only too happy to receive US tax payer's monies to further their own agendas and then burn US flags later on with american paid gasoline? We have no reason to think these people will ever like the US other than that they want to use the US to ouster Assad. Beirut bombing in 83 did not raise as much as a whimper of solidarity with the US from these same people now bleating for US's help.

I say the US interests will be best served by fortifying its allies around Syria and make a public statement that US will not tolerate any of the parties in the conflict spilling their conflict to its allies. Make it crystal clear that when its allies feel threatened and they act in self defense, US will stand by them and provide all assistance necessary to reestablish their security. Operations like those conducted by Israel recently should not leave any one in question of US's position in the face of threats, especially following rants from Hezballah and Iran. It should be made clear to Hezballah and Iran that if Israel's northern front erupts, US will make sure that Hezballan and Iran will find themselves up against a very steep uphill. The same message should have been sent to Assad when they downed Turkey's Phantom.

Comment

• What US allies? Turkey and Israel? Iraq? KSA?

They all have different agendas.
                          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• In the meantime...

Insight: Syria's Nusra Front eclipsed by Iraq-based al Qaeda | Reuters

Like anyone here will be surprised :)
                            No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Meaniwhile. Russia seems to have started shipping S300 units to Syria

Russian FM: Moscow will go ahead with S-300 sale to Syria | JPost | Israel News

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Thursday that Moscow planned to go ahead with its shipment of S- 300 missiles to Syria, saying the deal had been sealed before the recent air strikes on Syria, reportedly carried out by Israel.

“Missile defense systems are delivered to protect the country that buys them from air strikes. But these contracts were signed long before air strikes on Syria were launched last year and now,” Lavrov said in an interview with Lebanon’s al-Mayadeen TV channel.

Moscow is honoring previous agreements and has not signed any new contracts with Damascus, he stressed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                                What US allies? Turkey and Israel? Iraq? KSA?

They all have different agendas.
                                Different interests or not the US will just fortify them and stay away from the Syrian conflict itself, which is the point Zraver was making.

I wouldn't call Iraq a US ally.

Comment

Working...
                                X