• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Versus
    replied
    Originally posted by snapper View Post
    Muscovy is not the USSR.
    That's not the point, point is the irony of human progress. Counting down...4hrs. Can't wait to reach Crimean War in my analysis. I have a slight suspicion that today's events are re run from those times.
    Last edited by Versus; 12 Apr 18,, 19:02.

Leave a comment:

• Officer of Engineers
    replied
    Originally posted by snapper View Post
    Muscovy is not the USSR.
    Same shit. Different bowl.

Leave a comment:

• snapper
    replied
    Originally posted by Versus View Post
    Today is the anniversary of Gagarin's flight to space. First nation that put man into space and the first nation that put man on Moon are going to end up in a Middle Eastern sand and dirt, fighting over Earth's fart (natural gas). What a way go go...what a way to go.
    Muscovy is not the USSR.

Leave a comment:

• SteveDaPirate
    replied
    Originally posted by Red Team View Post
    I realize this is a bit off topic but what's wrong with the SU-57? I've found very little info on it other than the usual Russian boasts and India's apparent dissatisfaction during its development cycle.
    India cited a lack of stealthiness in the design compared to the F-35 that couldn't be fixed without major structural changes. The engines are apparently mounted in such a way that only the manufacturer can service them, not the end user. Then of course the actual engines intended for the aircraft are still in development. It also has somewhat limited utility in air to ground due to small weapons bays that can only handle 500 kg ordnance.

India was also unhappy about the lack of input and work share they were receiving from the program. Major design decisions had already been made, and it's pretty clear that the program's purpose in large part is to keep Sukhoi in the fighter business, which precludes giving very much work to Indian companies.

Overall it's a pretty solid evolution of the Flanker, with improved sensors, internal weapons carriage, and reduced RCS from the front although not to the same extent as it's American or Chinese counterparts that used clean sheet stealth designs. Getting the SU-57 into a state where it's ready for actual mass production will be a challenge with the budgetary challenges the program faces.
    Last edited by SteveDaPirate; 12 Apr 18,, 15:14.

Leave a comment:

• Versus
    replied
    As far as I know, Assad's family is a part of some clan that has been ruling Syria for like 700 years or so, so removing him wouldn't solve anything.

Leave a comment:

• Versus
    replied
    We spent 500 years under their rule and their rule consists only of smoking hashish, beading, raping and love of gold. Absolutely there is nothing there except waiting for Godot. I am watching them every day, everything is collectivized, no sense of individuality, boys are trained and taught form day one to be aggressive thugs and girls to be submissive baby machines, strict roles warped up in a fossilized narrative of higher purpose and cause.
    Last edited by Versus; 12 Apr 18,, 14:24.

Leave a comment:

• Versus
    replied
    Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
    Just curious - if Assad were taken out in a US missile strike - would he go from 'Gas Killing Animal' to 'Passed Gas'?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/12/middl...ntl/index.html
    It wouldn't change anything, because Assad is not the problem. If Assad is taken out and the official govt ceased to exist, there would be fracturing of Syria into regions ruled by warlords that would very soon start competing for the uber man of the Middle East, The Arab Neo so to speak, that will lead them into glorious future past in which they can chop heads and rape as much as they want and like (and they like it a lot). Everything that is close to equator despises work and either trades or pillages and burns, no productive efforts no science, just a past and the present, without any sense of the future. Except maybe Israel. Its not cultural or religious thing, its an IQ thing combined in steady climate (no change of seasons) and monolithic landscape (no sense of boundaries). Its one gigantic infinite now, defined by the lack of definition.

Leave a comment:

• Ironduke
    replied
    Just curious - if Assad were taken out in a US missile strike - would he go from 'Gas Killing Animal' to 'Passed Gas'?

Britain's May calls Cabinet meeting as UK and US edge closer to Syria strikes

(CNN)Top officials in the US and the United Kingdom are meeting Thursday to discuss their response to an alleged chemical attack in Syria, as US President Donald Trump doubled down on his threats of a missile strike as a means of sending a message to the countries he holds responsible: Syria and Russia.

British Prime Minister Theresa May has convened a Cabinet meeting for Thursday "to discuss the response to Syria," though it's unclear if she'll seek approval for a strike.

The White House National Security team will meet later that day, a source told CNN. It's not known if Trump will attend the meeting but he made his views clear in a Twitter tirade earlier Wednesday, warning Moscow to "get ready" for missiles launched at Syria.

"Russia vows to shoot down any and all missiles fired at Syria. Get ready Russia, because they will be coming, nice and new and 'smart!'," Trump said. "You shouldn't be partners with a Gas Killing Animal who kills his people and enjoys it!"

The US President added that the US relationship with Russia "is worse now than it has ever been, and that includes the Cold War."
    Trump's Twitter spray caught most of his aides off guard, as a decision had not yet been made how to respond to the chemical attack in Syria, people familiar with knowledge of the discussions said.
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/12/middl...ntl/index.html
    Last edited by Ironduke; 12 Apr 18,, 09:18.

Leave a comment:

• Versus
    replied
    Today is the anniversary of Gagarin's flight to space. First nation that put man into space and the first nation that put man on Moon are going to end up in a Middle Eastern sand and dirt, fighting over Earth's fart (natural gas). What a way go go...what a way to go.

Leave a comment:

• Red Team
    replied
    Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
    Leaving aside the flying Potemkin Village that is the Su-57
    I realize this is a bit off topic but what's wrong with the SU-57? I've found very little info on it other than the usual Russian boasts and India's apparent dissatisfaction during its development cycle.

Leave a comment:

• TopHatter
    replied
    But I don't think the Russians really have any state of the art fighter jets there. Just a couple of F-22 facsimiles with jet engines attached.
    Leaving aside the flying Potemkin Village that is the Su-57, Latakia is hosting:

Su-30SM Flankers (4 at last count)
    Su-27SM3 Flankers (Probably 3)
    Su-35S Flanker E (Probably 6)
    Su-34 Fullbacks (Probably 6)
    MiG-29SMT Fulcrums (Unknown how many)
    A-50U Mainstay (1 at last count)

There's also a dozen or so legacy aircraft
    Su-25 Frogfoots (3 at last count)
    Su-24 Fencers (Probably 10 left)

Leave a comment:

• Ironduke
    replied
    "Oh it's all right! I've planned ahead. We're just three miles from a primary target. A millisecond of brilliant light and we're vaporized. Much more fortunate than millions who wander sightless through the smoldering aftermath. We'll be spared the horror of survival."
    That's a good Cliff's Notes way of putting it. I might watch Dr. Strangelove again tonight for good measure.

Leave a comment:

• TopHatter
    replied
    Well, if there's a nuclear war, I know what I'll do. I live two miles from downtown Minneapolis, so there will be 20-30 minutes tops. I won't be able to get away fast enough. I'll just grab some beers or a bottle of liquor and a pack of cigarettes, take my little plastic chair, get a good northward facing view, and just sit back and enjoy the show. The Russian MIRVs will look like a laser light show from outer space, hopefully there's some decoys mixed in there for good effect before the real one goes off.

I'll look at the flash, because hey, I won't be around long enough to even be able to see the mushroom cloud. Yes, my retinas will be burnt to a crisp by the flash, but within a few seconds I won't have eyeballs to worry about anymore. I'll just be a cloud of ash traveling thousands of miles per hour in a southward direction, along with some carbon dioxide and water vapor.

Such is nuclear war. That's the fate that idiots like me, living in a backwater flyover state, with no say in these matters, would have to suffer.

Hopefully we don't go to the brink.
    "Oh it's all right! I've planned ahead. We're just three miles from a primary target. A millisecond of brilliant light and we're vaporized. Much more fortunate than millions who wander sightless through the smoldering aftermath. We'll be spared the horror of survival."

Leave a comment:

• Ironduke
    replied
    But at the same time, that just causes even more death and destruction and potentially invites retaliation from Russia, causing a downward death spiral.
    Well, if there's a nuclear war, I know what I'll do. I live two miles from downtown Minneapolis, so there will be 20-30 minutes tops. I won't be able to get away fast enough. I'll just grab some beers or a bottle of liquor and a pack of cigarettes, take my little plastic chair, get a good northward facing view, and just sit back and enjoy the show. The Russian MIRVs will look like a laser light show from outer space, hopefully there's some decoys mixed in there for good effect before the real one goes off.

I'll look at the flash, because hey, I won't be around long enough to even be able to see the mushroom cloud. Yes, my retinas will be burnt to a crisp by sudden increase in brightness, but within a few seconds I won't have eyeballs to worry about anymore. I'll just be a cloud of ash traveling thousands of miles per hour in a southward direction, along with some carbon dioxide and water vapor.

Such is nuclear war. That's the fate that idiots like me, living in a backwater flyover state, with no say in these matters, would have to suffer.

Hopefully we don't go to the brink.
    Last edited by Ironduke; 11 Apr 18,, 23:54.

Leave a comment:

• tantalus
    replied
    You do have a point regarding some conventional weapons. But to borrow a saying, it's not what you got, it's how you use it. Conventional weapons are also being used by Assad and Putin as terror/indiscriminate weapons, and I regard them much the same way.
    Agreed, but we should view this through the potential of what could be achieved, not all the things that can't. Chemical weapons are the low hanging fruit in this narrative, one that may be reachable and definitely worth picking.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X