2nd Carrier Group Sent to Gulf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd Carrier Group Sent to Gulf

Oops!! I meant the GULF! I apologize for the error. Nevertheless, things are getting interesting. Are we in a new phase of a build-up against Iran, or is this merely to put more pressure in nuclear negotiations? I would not put it past the former.

Gates Says Second Carrier In Gulf Is a 'Reminder' to Iran

Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates said yesterday that the Navy has added a second aircraft carrier in the Persian Gulf.

Asked if the carrier move went hand in hand with rising Bush administration rhetoric against Iran, Gates said: "I don't see it as an escalation. I think it could be seen, though, as a reminder."

Gates said during a trip to Mexico City that the deployment of the second carrier to the gulf "has been planned for a long time." He declined to elaborate and provided no details about the deployment.

Pentagon spokesman Geoff Morrell later said the second carrier is expected to replace one scheduled to leave the gulf in two days.

washingtonpost.com - nation, world, technology and Washington area news and headlines

Standard rotation?
    HD Ready?

Comment

Originally posted by Walking Dead View Post
      Oops!! I meant the GULF! I apologize for the error. Nevertheless, things are getting interesting. Are we in a new phase of a build-up against Iran, or is this merely to put more pressure in nuclear negotiations? I would not put it past the former.

Gates Says Second Carrier In Gulf Is a 'Reminder' to Iran

Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates said yesterday that the Navy has added a second aircraft carrier in the Persian Gulf.

Asked if the carrier move went hand in hand with rising Bush administration rhetoric against Iran, Gates said: "I don't see it as an escalation. I think it could be seen, though, as a reminder."

Gates said during a trip to Mexico City that the deployment of the second carrier to the gulf "has been planned for a long time." He declined to elaborate and provided no details about the deployment.

Pentagon spokesman Geoff Morrell later said the second carrier is expected to replace one scheduled to leave the gulf in two days.

washingtonpost.com - nation, world, technology and Washington area news and headlines

when talking about Iran, you are supposed to say Persian Gulf; when talking about Arabs the term Arabian Gulf is more appropriate since the sovereignty on the Gulf is indefinite.
      of course, there is a 3rd option. the Gulf...
      sigpicaction speaks louder than words

Comment

Originally posted by snc128 View Post
        when talking about Iran, you are supposed to say Persian Gulf; when talking about Arabs the term Arabian Gulf is more appropriate since the sovereignty on the Gulf is indefinite.
        of course, there is a 3rd option. the Gulf...
        I am aware of that, thank you. I call it "the Gulf," and anyone who is offended can pound sand. :) Besides when someone says "the Gulf" in that context, does anyone really think they mean the Gulf of Mexico?

Comment

Originally posted by Walking Dead View Post
          I am aware of that, thank you. I call it "the Gulf," and anyone who is offended can pound sand. :) Besides when someone says "the Gulf" in that context, does anyone really think they mean the Gulf of Mexico?

no, hell.
          actually, I was about to say they were not so much dumb not to understand whethr while one is talking about the Arabian/Persian Gulf when calling it the Gulf.
          besides, calling it the Gulf you did best.
          sigpicaction speaks louder than words

Comment

There's been two carrier groups, each with an ARG in the Persian Gulf off and on for the last 6 years.

You can start getting a little bit nervous when a 3rd carrier group is tasked for the area. The Truman should be there with the Lincoln arriving soon.

The Washington and Nimitz are the only other two available. Maybe the Kitty Hawk. The Enterprise should be in the Med but that isn't much help.

Comment

No need for a 3rd CVBG. The USAF next door in Iraq and the 2 CVBG is more than ample firepower.

Comment

Working...
              X