X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
    Heck no. Those guns are way to noisy. My hearing was bad enough already
    Bad hearing? How'd that happen??
    Supporting or defending Donald Trump is such an unforgivable moral failing that it calls every bit of your judgement and character into question. Nothing about you should be trusted if you can look at this man and find redeemable value

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
      Bad hearing? How'd that happen??
      He got married.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
        He got married.
        Its not Bad hearing Col.

That's called Selective Hearing.

Even now, the other half will tell you that, through modern technology I can hear leaves rustling in the wind. But, my hearing aids don't pick up "Wife Speak"
        Last edited by Gun Grape; 24 Jan 13,, 03:34.

Comment

Funny how my hearing loss back in the 1980s started at the exact pitch of my ex-wife's voice....
          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
          Mark Twain

Comment

Talking about cutting the defense budget I just saw this about the M1 Abrams tank production line. Army says yes, politicians say no. Who is right?

Budget Cuts: Army Plan to Halt Abrams Tank Production Draws Bipartisan Fire in Congress - ABC News

Comment

I'm actually following this idiot around to see what he posts.

I know he's copy/pasting but I'm still doing it.

God, I need a life...

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                Talking about cutting the defense budget I just saw this about the M1 Abrams tank production line. Army says yes, politicians say no. Who is right?

Budget Cuts: Army Plan to Halt Abrams Tank Production Draws Bipartisan Fire in Congress - ABC News
                Heard/saw a slightly newer version of this story on NPR about nine months ago:

Plant Pleads To Stay Afloat, But Army Says 'No Tanks' : NPR
                "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

I can speak from some experience here. I studied the oboe under the first oboist of the West Point concert band, and played with one of the air force's concert bands. They have a full band. According to their website the USMA band has 43 members. I can attest to the fact that the air force band I played with had similar numbers. Thinking of it, the USMA also has the Jazz Knights which has 14 or so people.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
                    And outside of a combat zone most troops don't even see a weapon... I've got no problem boosting pay when the danger is actually present, but paying an 18yo kid better than his parents when he is stateside.... come on.

An enlisted man under 21 is going to see at most $30,000 a year in base pay stateside. That's giving him alot of credit as well such as getting Sgt in 3 years or less and 3 year time in service assuming her went and joined and went to basic between the junior and senior years of high school to get time in. If that is better than his parents they are mature adults earning essentially minimum wage or less than full time. In either case I would hope we pay a full time soldier better than that. As for the housing and substance allowances, would you suggest that as a society we don't allow our soldiers a chance to have families and a decent living standard? Otherwise those of less than E-5 or so even with moderate amounts of time in service would be very hard pressed to afford a normal quality of life with the service member being the primary bread winner. Unless the spouse is in a very high demand career field the somewhat transient nature of military service would demand either living separately or the spouse is forced to seriously compromise career opportunities and advancement.

I'm not claiming a bit of reform might not be in order but its not as though most career military families are making incomes that would be called much above working or lower middle class.

Comment

I completely agree. I grew up living adjacent to West Point and my neighbors were all employees and I spent much of my time there in the form of sport camps or musical endeavors. As other people have brought up, how do you financially support those that put their 20 years in and get full benefits but are only 38+. By no regards am I saying it isn't deserved, I just wonder how this can be funded in light of current budget cuts and efforts to curtail military spending. Is their a good answer?

Comment

Working...
                      X