Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jan View Post
    Fine. It is a complex issue.
    especially when one disagrees with ones own posts ........yes I agree very complex
    sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

• Originally posted by T_igger_cs_30 View Post
      especially when one disagrees with ones own posts ........yes I agree very complex
      Cheeky are we Nothing like a parthian shot.
      "Just another brick in the wall."

Comment

• Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
        In the mean time, the Brits had already elevated non-whites to positions of command in the form of the British Indian Army though none at the Flag Level.
        Accepted. I read those units as non mainland units though. There are many ethnic minority recruits in the current armed forces but very few at any commisioned officer level.

I only have a link to the BBC Video article but as of 7th March 2007, "Commonwealth soldiers are forming a trade union, amid complaints of endemic racism and unfair treatment."

I'm trying not to paint a bad or gloomy picture, but it is more likely that a Colin Powell could be where he is / was in the U.S. than in the U.K. - otherwise there would actually be one here as evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by execrable View Post
          Accepted. I read those units as non mainland units though. There are many ethnic minority recruits in the current armed forces but very few at any commisioned officer level.
          How many are applying to Sandhurst? Minorities represent less than 3% at RMC. I was one of five in my year.

Comment

• Hi, Officer of Engineers. While I have been "out of it (military circulation) for over 15-20 years I'm still fairly certain this situation applied even when you applied.

BBC NEWS | UK | Army restricted ethnic recruits (BBC NEWS | UK | Army restricted ethnic recruits)

Moreover - I see you have a Canadian Flag in your profile - were you there as a Canadian training for Canadian armed forces service or British armed forces service? (by my recollection, there's been a long history of ethnic minorities from overseas who've gone through Sandhurst - always to return to their country of origin to serve)

I agree with T_igger_cs_30 here. The situation for those wishing to serve at higher rank in the British armed forces will take time to improve. (hopefully not another 200 years though) That's sad for me as I'd hoped my 2 children (if they chose to) would have the chance I once wanted.

Comment

• No, I was at the Royal Military College in Canada.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
                OOE,

The problem with the Indian agriculture is that there are too many farmers and too many farms. It is fractured and not efficient. India needs large scale farming but there is incredible opposition from left wing parties to large scale farming. To consolidate small farms into large farms, we would have to offer the small time farmers a new line of work, but what? We missed the manufacturing boat and in order to work in the service sector, you need to be educated to a large degree and the majority of the small farmers are nowhere near that. That is the perplexing question troubling India now. How to move 300 million farmers to a new line of work that is not expensive to do in terms of retraining, relocating, and rehabilitation?

Besides that, our yearly returns of crop yield have begun to reach the point of diminishing -returns from excessive use of fertilisers and wear-out of soil. Not only that, the water tables are getting lower with each passing year. India is having a looming water crisis that will be sorely felt in the next decade. And half of our crop yields get spoiled before they ever get to the market because of inefficient distribution & lack of infrastructure necessary to maintain crops' freshness when reaching markets.
                I want to make it clear that I know very few specifics about Indian agriculture. That said, I would disagree that the small scale nature of Indian agriculture is its largest problem. The history of Soviet agriculture shows very clearly that bigger is by no means always better. Economies of scale are by no means universally applicable.

I don't know about today, but in the past India's agriculture has been heavily regulated by the gov't. Subsidies and price controls especially. I think that deregulation is probably one of the most important ways India's agriculture can be improved. What you said about inefficient distribution is probably largely a consequence of over-regulation. My guess is that huge advances could be made in that area with deregulation.

It may be that the lack of large scale operations can be turned to your advantage. Flexibility can be a great advantage that large scale monoculture agriculture lacks severely. American agriculture right now has large problems with over-production and lack of demand leading to prices bottoming out. India might be able to avoid that pitfall by eliminating subsidies that encourage unwise business decisions. Large scale industrial agriculture, while it has had enormous success in the past century, may not be as big in the future. With the technology we have now, food production is no longer so much a matter of quantity, and thus economies of scale may begin to diminish in the future. Farmers will need to be flexible, and more active in their business decisions. Simply being a wheat producer or a beef producer may not be enough to stay alive. You have to differentiate your product from your competitors.

Another issue you raised was that of environmental problems such as soil depletion and water issues. This is something that might be exacerbated by large scale operations; it certainly was a huge problem for Soviet agriculture. They pretty much destroyed the Aral Sea with their Kazakh cotton program. It's hard to say, but there can be advantages in conservation with small scale agriculture. It's possible to put more work and less fertilizer into the soil on a small scale and get higher returns.

Considering India's high population density, an American style industrial agricultural system might be a serious mistake, especially if it is developed from the top down, by gov't fiat. India has a strong entrepreneurial spirit, and if that spirit infects India's farmers, they could really take off, probably in directions none of us can foresee.
                Last edited by ArmchairGeneral; 16 Mar 07,, 18:11.
                I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

• Cab License Real or Fake?

Hi there,
                  I just stumbled upon these boards and noticed a discussion from March 4, about the ad campaign I created.
                  It was created for The Maytree Founbdation and TRIEC, Toronto organizations that helps to promote immigrant rights. The image in question was created for the print campaign. I created/designed the cab license as a prop for the shot, using Toronto's cab license, but replacing the name Toronto with Metropolitan so it wasn't city secific. So while it is technically not real, the essense of it was. The idea was based on facts, that there are plenty of taxi drivers who are actual doctors.
                  If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
                  Ian
                  ianschwey at rogers.com

Comment

• Originally posted by IanSchwey View Post
                    Hi there,
                    I just stumbled upon these boards and noticed a discussion from March 4, about the ad campaign I created.
                    It was created for The Maytree Founbdation and TRIEC, Toronto organizations that helps to promote immigrant rights. The image in question was created for the print campaign. I created/designed the cab license as a prop for the shot, using Toronto's cab license, but replacing the name Toronto with Metropolitan so it wasn't city secific. So while it is technically not real, the essense of it was. The idea was based on facts, that there are plenty of taxi drivers who are actual doctors.
                    If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
                    Ian
                    ianschwey at rogers.com
                    There was some discussion as to whether this was a candid shot or as you say, created for an add campaign. That is whether it was literally true, or true in essence.
                    Thanks for clearing that up Sir.:)
                    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

• Colonel.

A slight correction.

In the British Indian Army, none other than a Briton got command.

You must read Philip Mason's 'A matter of Honour'. It is a great book.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

• Armchair,

The land holding of most Indian farmers is very small. Some are barely adequate to grow the family's annual subsistence!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

• I'm sorry for my darker brothers cause those stupid still in Bible-aged white guys still hate them (although they don't say it on their face). Inequality

Comment

• Originally posted by Rockrocks View Post
                            I'm sorry for my darker brothers cause those stupid still in Bible-aged white guys still hate them (although they don't say it on their face). Inequality
                            Trollin',trollin',trollin'...keep those trolls a rollin'
                            "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Originally posted by Shameless View Post
                              Trollin',trollin',trollin'...keep those trolls a rollin'
                              His shoulders are carrying industrial sized chips!
                              Oi, Shaveless, who is the fierce looking geezer in your latest avatar? Wouldn't like to meet him on a dark night
                              Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

• yeah so em the middle finger

Comment

Working...
                                X