No announcement yet.

US troops arriving in Liberia to help contain Ebola

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here I was enjoying my holiday from WAB when this pops up. SIGH!

Originally posted by Vargas View Post
    What I find strange is that nobody is talking about Ebola anymore in the media and the number of deaths surpassed 10,000 in the last month.
    Probably they are doing so because at the end of last year they were talking that there was going to be 1,5 million dead by today and it has not come to anywhere near this projection.
    But even so it is strange how the interest for the subject died so quickly.
    No, they are doing so because the TOTAL number of deaths from Ebola is about 10,000, and most of those were dead & buried last year. There haven't been 10,000 cases diagnosed this year. In fact, last week the number of cases diagnosed was about 30.

Took me 1 google search in which I picked the first entry to find that out. Even reading the last dozen posts here would have red flagged your numbers. That extra 5 minutes you spend doing research saves a lot of blushes.

Ebola
    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
      Here I was enjoying my holiday from WAB when this pops up. SIGH!

No, they are doing so because the TOTAL number of deaths from Ebola is about 10,000, and most of those were dead & buried last year. There haven't been 10,000 cases diagnosed this year. In fact, last week the number of cases diagnosed was about 30.

Took me 1 google search in which I picked the first entry to find that out. Even reading the last dozen posts here would have red flagged your numbers. That extra 5 minutes you spend doing research saves a lot of blushes.

Ebola
      I never said the 10,000 deaths were all in this year. It reach a total of a bit more than 10,500 deaths by today. You could be more respectful and less reactionary. It makes even enjoying your holiday easier.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vargas View Post
        I never said the 10,000 deaths were all in this year. It reach a total of a bit more than 10,500 deaths by today.
        And I explained why people have stopped paying attention - because there were 30 new cases last week. People went into a great big panic when deaths were high, it got lots of coverage & even became a political football in the US for a short time. Now there are only a handful of deaths, the epidemic has been contained & is on the verge of ending, so people have stopped paying attention. Predictable, normal and unworthy of comment. Once the threat has passed people move on.

Influenza has killed tens of millions more than Ebola and killed 10 to 20 times more people last year than Ebola. It rarely gets a mention because we have become used to the epidemic running at that level. When that changes people pay more attention.

The only odd thing here is your comment.

You could be more respectful and less reactionary. It makes even enjoying your holiday easier.
        You get the respect you earn. I've read most of your posts and you've done nothing to earn respect. Using words you clearly don't know the meaning of (google 'reactionary') and making basic factual blunders do nothing to earn respect. Under the circumstances I've been pretty polite.

I'll enjoy my soon to resume holiday even more if you take my advice & do that 5 mins of research (or read a dictionary) before you post in future. You will also be doing yourself a favour.
        sigpic

Comment

• BF, you guys won the worldcup. Why are you still cranky? :)

On topic, West African countries are targetting zero new ebola cases by the end of the year.

Comment

And I explained why people have stopped paying attention - because there were 30 new cases last week. People went into a great big panic when deaths were high, it got lots of coverage & even became a political football in the US for a short time. Now there are only a handful of deaths, the epidemic has been contained & is on the verge of ending, so people have stopped paying attention. Predictable, normal and unworthy of comment. Once the threat has passed people move on.

Influenza has killed tens of millions more than Ebola and killed 10 to 20 times more people last year than Ebola. It rarely gets a mention because we have become used to the epidemic running at that level. When that changes people pay more attention.

The only odd thing here is your comment.
            My point is that Ebola never was as big as the big media made it look like. It was just a smoke screen. They were trying to strike fear into people's hearts by saying things like "by next year there will be 1,5 million Ebola deaths".
            I remember my wife asking her parents why they were going to New York, if they wanted to catch Ebola. Now, that the story is not sticking anymore - for a long time already - there wasn't even a sticky note in the mainstream media saying "Look, projections predicted 1,5 million deaths by now, but actually, there were only 15,000 deaths. 1% of the predicted."

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
            You get the respect you earn. I've read most of your posts and you've done nothing to earn respect. Using words you clearly don't know the meaning of (google 'reactionary') and making basic factual blunders do nothing to earn respect. Under the circumstances I've been pretty polite.

I'll enjoy my soon to resume holiday even more if you take my advice & do that 5 mins of research (or read a dictionary) before you post in future. You will also be doing yourself a favour.
            Respect is not something you ask for. Is something you demand. Respect is not the same as prestige or fear. Respect is about being polite towards each other. You never seen me disrespect someone the way you do.
            No matter who I am talking to, if I agree with them or not, I am not mean to them. Reactionary comes from reaction. Reaction towards something. When you say someone is a reactionary, it has a couple of different meanings. In the specific case that I am applying to you, is someone who doesn't use reason, and react to words or actions in a disproportional way. Doing a comparison: if I am "enjoying my holiday" and I see somebody saying something in a forum that I disagree or I think it's crap, I will not aim for the jugular of the author of the post. What will I gain for that? In what this post affects my life or threatens me? Nothing. So if I did respond, I would do in a calm and reasonable way and not saying "Oh, you jerk! You ruined my weekend because of the crap you wrote!" or "You damn post gave me cancer!". That is a childish way to behave.

Comment

My point is that Ebola never was as big as the big media made it look like. It was just a smoke screen. They were trying to strike fear into people's hearts by saying things like "by next year there will be 1,5 million Ebola deaths".
              I remember my wife asking her parents why they were going to New York, if they wanted to catch Ebola. Now, that the story is not sticking anymore - for a long time already - there wasn't even a sticky note in the mainstream media saying "Look, projections predicted 1,5 million deaths by now, but actually, there were only 15,000 deaths. 1% of the predicted."

Respect is not something you ask for. Is something you demand. Respect is not the same as prestige or fear. Respect is about being polite towards each other. You never seen me disrespect someone the way you do.
              No matter who I am talking to, if I agree with them or not, I am not mean to them. Reactionary comes from reaction. Reaction towards something. When you say someone is a reactionary, it has a couple of different meanings. In the specific case that I am applying to you, is someone who doesn't use reason, and react to words or actions in a disproportional way. Doing a comparison: if I am "enjoying my holiday" and I see somebody saying something in a forum that I disagree or I think it's crap, I will not aim for the jugular of the author of the post. What will I gain for that? In what this post affects my life or threatens me? Nothing. So if I did respond, I would do in a calm and reasonable way and not saying "Oh, you jerk! You ruined my weekend because of the crap you wrote!" or "You damn post gave me cancer!". That is a childish way to behave.
              "A reactionaryis a person who holds political views that favor a return to the status quo ante, the previous political state of society, which possessed characteristics (discipline, respect for authority, privilege, etc.) that he or she thinks are absent from the contemporary status quo of society. As an adjective, the word reactionary describes points of view and policies meant to restore the status quo ante.

Reactionary derives from the French word réactionnaire (a late eighteenth-century coinage based on the word réaction, "reaction"), and conservative from conservateur, identifying monarchist parliamentarians opposed to the revolution.[5] In this French usage, reactionary denotes "a movement towards the reversal of an existing tendency or state" and a "return to a previous condition of affairs." The Oxford English Dictionary cites the first English-language usage in 1799...."

"Reactionary: relating to, marked by, or favoring reaction; especially : ultraconservative in politics

reactionarynoun

Synonyms: archconservative, brassbound, button-down (or buttoned-down), die-hard, hidebound, mossbacked, old-fashioned, old-line, old-school, orthodox, paleoconservative, conservative, standpat, traditional, traditionalistic, ultraconservative, unprogressive"

"Synonyms for reactionary

adj conservative

counterrevolutionary, regressive, rightist, rigid, obscurantist, right, Tory, die-hard, old-line, orthodox, retrogressive, standpat, traditional, traditionalistic"

You can demand all the respect you want, but until you learn how to use Mr Google & spend that 5 minutes doing that research you won't get it here. Trust me, I'm the least of your problems. I've paid you the respect of offering you some good & clearly much needed advice. You've done me the disrespect of trying to bluff your way through with a made up definition of a word you clearly don't understand rather than just concede your mistake or look it up.

Believe it or not I'm actually trying to save you from a short life here. I've been here long enough to know what a sort lifespan poster looks like. I suggest you get over your hurt feelings at my manner & focus on the good advice.

Anyway, I'm done with this for now.
              Last edited by Bigfella; 13 Apr 15,, 09:41.
              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by cataphract View Post
                BF, you guys won the worldcup. Why are you still cranky? :)
                I'm in fine spirits cataphract, just trying to get the new boy up to speed. THis is gentle medium pace compared to the Mitchell Starc Yorkers the Colonel is sending down.

On topic, West African countries are targetting zero new ebola cases by the end of the year.
                Hard to say if that is achievable of not, but they have done an impressive job in recent months. The epidemic as such is over and valuable lessons have been learned.
                sigpic

Comment

Yes and no. The CDC and WHO kept running projections based on both current trends as well as ways it could either improve or worsen rapidly. When the media gets wind of that they naturally turn around and report whatever they think will get them the most attention. That's why you hear a lot of "1.5 million deaths!" and not a lot of "could be over in two months".

While much of the media coverage was overblown, in hindsight, the international reaction to Ebola was too little and too slow. Luckily we were fortunate that it didn't get out into cities like Lagos, in which case things could have turned bad extremely quickly.

Domestically in the US, the Ebola episode was the catalyst for a lot of adjustment in procedures involving infectious disease among hospitals, EMS, and public health that were frankly way over due. Ebola was something of a near miss, but it is by no means the only infectious disease out there waiting to become a problem, and it revealed some significant gaps in our ability to deal with even limited numbers of patients.

Comment

"A reactionaryis a person who holds political views that favor a return to the status quo ante, the previous political state of society, which possessed characteristics (discipline, respect for authority, privilege, etc.) that he or she thinks are absent from the contemporary status quo of society. As an adjective, the word reactionary describes points of view and policies meant to restore the status quo ante.

Reactionary derives from the French word réactionnaire (a late eighteenth-century coinage based on the word réaction, "reaction"), and conservative from conservateur, identifying monarchist parliamentarians opposed to the revolution.[5] In this French usage, reactionary denotes "a movement towards the reversal of an existing tendency or state" and a "return to a previous condition of affairs." The Oxford English Dictionary cites the first English-language usage in 1799...."

"Reactionary: relating to, marked by, or favoring reaction; especially : ultraconservative in politics

reactionarynoun

Synonyms: archconservative, brassbound, button-down (or buttoned-down), die-hard, hidebound, mossbacked, old-fashioned, old-line, old-school, orthodox, paleoconservative, conservative, standpat, traditional, traditionalistic, ultraconservative, unprogressive"

"Synonyms for reactionary

adj conservative

counterrevolutionary, regressive, rightist, rigid, obscurantist, right, Tory, die-hard, old-line, orthodox, retrogressive, standpat, traditional, traditionalistic"

You can demand all the respect you want, but until you learn how to use Mr Google & spend that 5 minutes doing that research you won't get it here. Trust me, I'm the least of your problems. I've paid you the respect of offering you some good & clearly much needed advice. You've done me the disrespect of trying to bluff your way through with a made up definition of a word you clearly don't understand rather than just concede your mistake or look it up.

Believe it or not I'm actually trying to save you from a short life here. I've been here long enough to know what a sort lifespan poster looks like. I suggest you get over your hurt feelings at my manner & focus on the good advice.

Anyway, I'm done with this for now.
                    This "Reactionary" definition is very biased and politically correct, being only one of the many meanings that it can possible take, the one most used in modern times.
                    Also, you ignored everything else that I said. You obsess over words so much, specially to a specific meaning among many that one word can take.
                    Take the word "feminist" for example. Usually when someone says or hear the word "feminist" he thinks about a crazy women doing obscene stuff in the line of FEMEN.
                    However, this is a modern thing, before feminist meant someone who wanted voting rights for women, then equal payment and so forth.
                    This happens with many other not so common as well with everyday words. And I can guarantee you that even English not being my first language, the amount of books I read per year are sufficient to keep me out of your benightedness.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
                      Yes and no. The CDC and WHO kept running projections based on both current trends as well as ways it could either improve or worsen rapidly. When the media gets wind of that they naturally turn around and report whatever they think will get them the most attention. That's why you hear a lot of "1.5 million deaths!" and not a lot of "could be over in two months".

While much of the media coverage was overblown, in hindsight, the international reaction to Ebola was too little and too slow. Luckily we were fortunate that it didn't get out into cities like Lagos, in which case things could have turned bad extremely quickly.

Domestically in the US, the Ebola episode was the catalyst for a lot of adjustment in procedures involving infectious disease among hospitals, EMS, and public health that were frankly way over due. Ebola was something of a near miss, but it is by no means the only infectious disease out there waiting to become a problem, and it revealed some significant gaps in our ability to deal with even limited numbers of patients.
                      Yes, my friend. My point is that the role coverage, the image created by the media, was completely different from reality.
                      And it was to the point that everybody was constantly talking about Ebola and fear mongering "all the hell is gonna brake loose" or "the U.S government is making people with Ebola disappear.
                      As Nietzsche said: "Nothing is erased that is not substituted". So the best way to block actually important issues to come out is to replace fertile debates with non-issues or scaring people turning an ant into an dinosaur.

Comment

Yes, my friend. My point is that the role coverage, the image created by the media, was completely different from reality.
                        And it was to the point that everybody was constantly talking about Ebola and fear mongering "all the hell is gonna brake loose" or "the U.S government is making people with Ebola disappear.
                        As Nietzsche said: "Nothing is erased that is not substituted". So the best way to block actually important issues to come out is to replace fertile debates with non-issues or scaring people turning an ant into an dinosaur.
                        YOU ARE A FUCKING IDIOT! I DON'T CARE HOW WELL READ YOU ARE, YOU KNOW SHIT ALL ABOUT BIOLOGY! EBOLA DEATHS ARE BASED UPON EXPOSURE, NOT PROPAGANDA!

In fact, you are welcome to leave the WAB, I can do very well without your stupidity!
                        Chimo

Comment

• Welcome to the 24 hour Scare-Cycle, Vargas.

Read up on Low-Information Diet.

Also, if your wife is like mine, her "news" comes from Facebook, and the purpose is primarily to talk to people at parties. Nothing wrong with that, but don't confuse THAT with forums like WAB, where people complain over the lack of detail of Operation Nickel Grass...
                          Last edited by GVChamp; 15 Apr 15,, 15:36.
                          "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

• Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                            EBOLA DEATHS ARE BASED UPON EXPOSURE, NOT PROPAGANDA!
                            Actually, a case could be made that the Ebola scare caused people to be driven away from health professionals when they only saw them as agents of deaths and drove them underground and only exacerbated the problem. It was only after massive efforts to educate people about the danger of Ebola and the need to seek health professionals right away and isolate themselves from other did the authorities manage to stem the tide of Ebola patients.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
                              Actually, a case could be made that the Ebola scare caused people to be driven away from health professionals when they only saw them as agents of deaths and drove them underground and only exacerbated the problem. It was only after massive efforts to educate people about the danger of Ebola and the need to seek health professionals right away and isolate themselves from other did the authorities manage to stem the tide of Ebola patients.
                              Oh, there's a lot of fail points, don't you worry about that.

WHO | From crisis to sustainable development: lessons from the Ebola outbreak

The problem is when you let experts make comments that have far-reaching implications instead of sticking to sober analysis:
                              Much of the surrounding forest has been destroyed by foreign mining and timber operations. Some evidence suggests that disruption of the ancient forest ecology brought potentially infected wild animals, and the bat species thought to harbour the virus, into closer contact with human settlements.

Prior to symptom onset, the child was seen playing in his backyard near a hollow tree heavily infested with bats. This tells us something about the perils of environmental degradation.
                              Third, create incentives for R&D for new medical products for diseases that primarily affect the poor. A fair and just world should not let people die for what boils down to market failure and poverty.
                              Yet another lesson concerns the importance of creating incentives for the development of medical products for diseases that primarily affect the poor and thus have little market appeal.
                              Ideally, health systems should aim for universal health coverage, so the poor are not left behind. This requires new thinking and a new approach to health development.

Here is your actual failure:

A disease that killed so many so quickly did not go unnoticed. However, lack of capacity meant that the disease was first misdiagnosed as cholera and then later as Lassa fever, two of the many common infectious diseases that mimic the early symptoms of Ebola.
                              Very difficult to trust people who routinely digress and insert their own personal beliefs into their professional opinions.
                              Last edited by GVChamp; 15 Apr 15,, 17:41.
                              "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

• Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
                                don't confuse THAT with forums like WAB, where people complain over the lack of detail of Operation Nickel Grass...
                                Operation what?
                                “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Working...
                                X