X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Amled View Post
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-68663043

That Putin and the Kremlin have always been aficionados of the concept of “The Big Lie” is not news.
    That can be seen in all its glory, in their treatment of the Moscow Massacre!
    What started as an attempt to cast blame on Ukraine has now grown to a major conspiracy, involving Ukraine, USA, Great Britain and Islamists!
    All without a shred of proof!!!
    To paraphrase from an old film:
    “…evidence… what evidence…, we don’t need no stinking evidence…”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqomZQMZQCQ
    Stalin would be proud.

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post

The suicide vests is less for inflicting damage on the crowd as a way to take down 1st responders and not be captured.

ISIS across the board has shown a high level of small arms training regardless of where and how they came from. Fumbling with the machine gun and belt is definitely against character of what we have seen in the past from them.

My points were not to disagree with you but to absolutely agree with your comment that they morph as they go forward.
      Doesn't seem like they were too worried about first responders, not to the extent they planned for the need to suicide to prevent capture. That may reflect careful target selection and planning by the attackers i.e. they counted on having enough time for a quick strike and then escape. Alternately it could be they simply didn't have access to high explosives and a competent bomb maker. Who knows? The fire certainly worked well enough. Makes me wonder about the state of the sprinkler system - if there was one.
      If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Monash View Post

Doesn't seem like they were too worried about first responders, not to the extent they planned for the need to suicide to prevent capture. That may reflect careful target selection and planning by the attackers i.e. they counted on having enough time for a quick strike and then escape. Alternately it could be they simply didn't have access to high explosives and a competent bomb maker. Who knows? The fire certainly worked well enough. Makes me wonder about the state of the sprinkler system - if there was one.
        Hence my comment it is a morphing of the ISIS MO.

I read the theater had been thoroughly renovated in 2023 and had an up to code sprinkler system. But as I understand thermite/white phosphorous grenades were used. No sprinkler system is going to work on those.
        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
        Mark Twain

Comment

• Shades of Matthias Rust!

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFoota...eb2x&context=3
          Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
            Now that took some ingenuity. Maybe we need to turn in some of our B-1 bombers and buy some Cessnas. Seems the Cessna has a better chance of getting in past Russian air defense.

Comment

• That a Cessna?! Wow... I thought they'd be rigging some old Mig-15, but that's so much better...

Comment

• It wasn't a Cessna. It's an indigenous Ukranian ultralight civilian aircraft, an A22 Foxbat. They're sold as kits that start at around $70,000. Max speed is 110mph and the standard fuel tanks carry 75L. Fuel consumption is 15L/hr. They must have added additional fuel capacity for it to travel 800 miles to its destination.

Judging from the fireball that erupted when it crashed into the building, there was still plenty of fuel loaded into whatever fuel tanks they jerry rigged onto it.

For comparison, the empty weight for the A22 is 280kg, compared to 3700kg for a MiG-15. The Cessna 127 Matthias Rust flew into Red Square is 767kg empty, nearly 3x the weight of an unloaded A22.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeroprakt_A-22_Foxbat
                Last edited by Ironduke; 03 Apr 24,, 15:02.
                "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                  It wasn't a Cessna. It's an indigenous Ukranian ultralight civilian aircraft, an A22 Foxbat. They're sold as kits that start at around $70,000. Max speed is 110mph and the standard fuel tanks carry 75L. Fuel consumption is 15L/hr. They must have added additional fuel capacity for it to travel 800 miles to its destination.

Judging from the fireball that erupted when it crashed into the building, there was still plenty of fuel loaded into whatever fuel tanks they jerry rigged onto it.

For comparison, the empty weight for the A22 is 280kg, compared to 3700kg for a MiG-15. The Cessna 127 Matthias Rust flew into Red Square is 767kg empty, nearly 3x the weight of an unloaded A22.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeroprakt_A-22_Foxbat
                  Yeah...saw more and agree on type and model!
                  Mark Twain

Comment

• Is the UKR Spent?

https://www.politico.eu/article/ukra...se-war-russia/
                    Chimo

Comment

• I don't think so but it seems that it would take another march to Kiev to wake Zelensky up.
                      Chimo

Comment

• Not sure why the author prefaced their article with a quote from Twitter troll Elon Musk, and conclude it with a reference back to their preface. That being said, not sure how Russia would take Odessa when they were forced out of Kherson City in fall 2022. Maybe Musk thinks Odessa is in Donetsk Oblast?

Main problem Ukraine faces at this point is that the Russians can maintain parity along the entire front line, keep it static, preventing Ukrainian advances, while also concentrating force and slowly overwhelm the UA at points of their choosing. It may take 6 months or a year for each of these slow-motion offensives to play out and for the RA to achieve their objective, but it gives the Russians the initiative. The speed and casualty ratios at which these are occurring, however, makes the situation neither dire or catastrophic, in my opinion, and Ukraine lives to fight another day.

In my view the Ukrainians are far from spent. If for the time being they need to pursue a strategy of slowly retreating where the Russians concentrate force, while inflicting a 4 or 5 to 1 casualty ratio and conserving manpower and materiel, that is what they should do. The Russians have not demonstrated any ability to turn their glacial advances into breakthroughs and rapid maneuver. Let the Russians waste disproportionately high levels of manpower and materiel for marginal advances.
                        Last edited by Ironduke; 06 Apr 24,, 18:53.

Comment

• They also face equipment issues. Two years into the war and more than half of their cold war reserves have already been depleted.
                          If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

• The Ukrainians also currently have 500,000 draft age men still available. Whatever the political decision not to employ this mass, the fact remains that Kiev has not untied her other hand and unleash these 500,000 men.
                            Chimo

Comment

• Can Ukraine equip another 500,000 men?

Just the other day I was reading about how formerly mechanized infantry battalions have been thoroughly demechanized due to loss of equipment and insufficient replacement during 2023. Ukraine is not getting sufficient tanks, APCs, or IFVs at the moment, not to mention artillery or shells, so what good is it to mobilize infantry and waste these lives in meatgrinder infantry assault tactics? Nay, let the Russians do that, I say. Trade small amounts of space for incredibly high numbers of Russian lives, and buy time.

There is a reason why Ukraine has not mobilized it's 18-25s, and until recently, ages 18-27. It's a political decision based on demography. It's an echo generation of the WWII generation in which tens of millions of fighting age men died in the Soviet Union, and every generation descended from that one is smaller than other age groups on the population pyramid, further compounded with sharply falling birthrates in the 1990s. The Ukrainians have so far decided to mobilize the men who have already bred children, not those who haven't had a chance to yet.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...on_pyramid.gif
                              Last edited by Ironduke; 07 Apr 24,, 02:07.

Comment

• I would suggest their best hope at the moment would be to try and emulate Russia's response to its setbacks in the first year of the war by building up multiple lines of defensive fortifications and mine fields along the front lines. Then use their internal lines of communication and most importantly NATO surveillance and intelligence resources to monitor and respond to Russian buildups. Putin may still gain ground but they will be small, slow and costly gains.
                                Last edited by Monash; 07 Apr 24,, 23:07.

Comment

Working...
                                X