This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Monash View Post
    That plus the pressure is on Russia to get in their punch first before Ukraine has a chance to receive the majority of the MBTs, IFVs and long range missiles promised recently and integrate them into its forces. If Putin wasn't rushing it he would have waited another month till the weather improved more and his Generals would have one more precious month to get their ducks in a row, time they obviously need.
    Lots of analysis out there regarding the de-mechanization of the Russian Army, and how their ability to engage in maneuver warfare has been severely degraded. The gist of some of the analysis is, yes, the Russians can advance, at walking pace, but only once they get through the Ukrainians.

If this analysis is accurate, how do they go about capturing the half of Donetsk Province under the control of the Ukrainians by March?
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
      Can ATACMs be procured in any meaningful numbers from these allies to forward onto the Ukrainians?
      Not that I'm aware from but I don't have the ability to read those tea leaves...different part of Army munitions than what I deal with.

Here are the current operators. Don't see too many willing to give them up based on world tensions in those areas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MGM-140_ATACMS#Operators

And the new batch in production for Australia...those will all need to be hand built.
      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
      Mark Twain

Comment

• Yes but they don't need to advance quickly everywhere along the line, only at the points where they launch their offensive. We've all read reports I assume saying that the best of whatever new gear Russia has been able to produce or recondition is being integrated into their most experienced combat units which have also been pulled out of the line to rest and retrain. Most of this 'new' equipment won't be as good as the stuff they started the war with but its at least on a par with much of what Ukraine has.

Also if the claims are true and Putin really has settled for just reclaiming all of Donetsk & Luhansk Oblasts before calling it a 'victory' then the Russians don't need to advance that far. Which is not to say BTW that if they scored a major victory Putin wouldn't immediately change his mind and try to grab as much as he could get, just that if his war aims are truly that limited then they're also potentially achievable with the kit at hand.
        Last edited by Monash; 04 Feb 23,, 23:30.
        If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

Sounds like they need ATACMs to hit troop concentration points deeper inside Russia.
          I'd be trying to blind their reccee.

Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
            I'd be trying to blind their reccee.
            Hitting troop concentrations inside Russia doesn't exclude other things as being a good idea. :)

Comment

• What the heck...

Comment

• Yeah, seen that a few weeks ago. Looks like the crew of that tank had been hitting the sauce.

Comment

• First Leopard 2 Tank From Canada On Its Way to Ukraine, Defense Minister Says

Canada’s Defense Minister said the country has sent its first Leopard 2 tank to Ukraine, in footage posted on February 4.

Anita Anand said a Royal Canadian Air Force aircraft departed Halifax carrying the first Leopard 2 main battle tank that Canada is sending to the conflict, alongside NATO allies that include the US, Germany, and Poland.

“Canada stands with the people of Ukraine. We’ll continue to provide Ukraine’s Armed Forces with the equipment that they need to win,” the minister said.

Canada has pledged to supply Ukraine with four Leopard 2 main battle tanks.
                  _________

A handful here, a handful there, and before you know it, you've got a Big Cat Rescue going on in Ukraine...
                  “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Bet they'll go straight to the crew/maintenance training area/group/base.

Comment

• Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
                      Bet they'll go straight to the crew/maintenance training area/group/base.
                      Absolutely...best use for them.
                      Mark Twain

Comment

• A good report on the training in Estonia with the Leopard Tanks. I like Nic Robertson...good head on his shoulders and a lot of knowledge.

Perhaps the best part of this is the last minute or so. He explains the challenges well.

https://twitter.com/cnnipr/status/16...g_CT9rdqlcy1aA
                        Mark Twain

Comment

• He’s also one of my favorite BBC commentators.
                          As you say very knowledgeable, and at the same time able to lay out his facts, so that even laymen like me can follow it with no trouble.
                          Your example of his coverage of the Leopards training in Estonia was a perfect example.

When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow. - Anais Nin

Comment

• Originally posted by jlvfr View Post
                            Bet they'll go straight to the crew/maintenance training area/group/base.
                            I'll bet the Russians will claim to have destroyed 40 Canadian-donated Leopards before the first four are even seen anywhere near the front lines.

After all, every HIMARS the US has donated has been destroyed at least 10 times over by now.

Comment

I'll bet the Russians will claim to have destroyed 40 Canadian-donated Leopards before the first four are even seen anywhere near the front lines.

After all, every HIMARS the US has donated has been destroyed at least 10 times over by now.
                              As Perun noted the Ukrainian Air force also has unlimited respawns given the number of times Russia has destroyed it entirety. And lets not forget that the Ukrainian Army having already been entirely killed/injured/captured only to be replaced by US/NATO soldiers wearing Ukrainian Uniforms in a massive false flag operation.
                              Last edited by Monash; 08 Feb 23,, 00:53.
                              If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

• 88 LEO 1s are now going to the UKR. No lead as to where the 105 ammo is coming from.

A rush to get them in place before 24 Feb
                                Chimo

Comment

Working...
                                X