• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excellent graphic I stumbled across on the r/ukraine reddit:

Attached Files
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• Originally posted by S2 View Post
      Great post, A.R.! Couldn't find the vid in the article so I posted it here.

Combined Arms Breaching Ops-

That is one of the best examples of how to conduct a successful breach I've ever seen. I know it is one of hardest things to do. I remember BITD when I was a rifle company commander at FT Stewart and we were doing platoon lanes. One of the squads was forward at the breach site when they were hit by simulated artillery fire. All but one young PFC were casualties. Instead of freaking out the kid CHARLIE MIKEd and tore a breach through the obstacle with his hands and then waved the rest of the platoon through the breach. I was standing next to my brigade commander when this occurred. He turned to and said...Let's Go! He walked across the field and pinned an ARCOM on the kid right then and there. One of the more rewarding award paper work I ever did!
      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
      Mark Twain

Comment

• Uneasy calm grips Ukraine as West prepares winter aid

KYIV, Ukraine (AP) — An uneasy calm hung over Kyiv on Tuesday as residents of the Ukrainian capital did what they could to prepare for anticipated Russian missile attacks aiming to take out more energy infrastructure as winter sets in.

To ease that burden, NATO allies made plans to boost provisions of blankets, generators and other basic necessities to ensure Ukraine's 43 million people can maintain their resolve in the 10th month of fighting against Russia's invasion.

Ukraine's first lady implored the West to show the same kind of steadfastness that Ukrainians had shown against Russian President Vladimir Putin's military campaign.

“Ukrainians are very tired of this war, but we have no choice in the matter," Olena Zelenska, the wife of President Volodymyr Zelenskyy, said in a BBC interview during a visit to Britain.

“We do hope that the approaching season of Christmas doesn’t make you forget about our tragedy and get used to our suffering,” she said.

A two-day meeting of NATO foreign ministers in Bucharest, Romania, was likely to see the 30-nation alliance make fresh pledges of nonlethal support to Ukraine: fuel, generators, medical supplies and winter equipment, on top of new military support.

U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken was to announce substantial U.S. aid for Ukraine’s energy grid, U.S. officials said. Targeted Russian strikes have battered Ukraine’s power infrastructure since early October in what Western officials have described as a Russian attempt campaign to weaponize the coming winter cold.

NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said at the outset of the Bucharest meeting that Russia “is willing to use extreme brutality and leave Ukraine cold and dark this winter. So we must stay the course and help Ukraine prevail as a sovereign nation.”

About a third of Ukraine's residents faced power supply disruptions, Ukraine’s state grid operator said, both because of increased demand due to colder temperatures and the emergency shutdown of power units at several plants since Monday morning.

“The overall deficit in the energy system is a consequence of seven waves of Russian missile attacks on the country’s energy infrastructure,” electricity system operator Ukrenergo said.

Kyiv saw continued interruptions to its electricity, heat and water supply, Mayor Vitali Klitschko said Tuesday, leading authorities to “consider the option of partial evacuation of the capital’s residents to the suburbs.”

Blinken reminded everyone it was not the first time that Russia had targeted helpless civilians in this war and insisted only strong support would impact the Kremlin.

Russia’s Black Sea fleet already bombarded Ukrainian cities and towns and bottled up vital grain shipments for the rest of the world in Ukrainian ports. Blinken said the U.S and NATO’s resulting military buildup in the strategic waterway would only intensify.

“We’re not going to be deterred,” he told reporters, in one of his more forceful statements of the day. “We’re going to be reinforcing NATO’s presence from the Black to the Baltic seas.”

Bogdan Aurescu, foreign minister of Romania, another Black Sea nation, said that Romania would be pushing the two-day NATO meeting to up the military presence further still.

The Ukrainian government was putting up defenses too — both for troops and for civilians. The government rolled out hundreds of help stations, christened Points of Invincibility, where residents facing the loss of power, heating and water can warm up, charge their phones, enjoy snacks and hot drinks, and even be entertained.

“I had no electricity for two days. Now there’s only some electricity, and no gas,” said Vanda Bronyslavavina, who took a breather inside one such help center in Kyiv’s Obolon neighborhood.

The 71-year-old lamented the uncertainty about whether Russia will simply resume its strikes after infrastructure gets fixed, a frustrating cycle of destruction and repair that has made wartime life even more uncertain.

Kyrylo Tymoshenko, the deputy head of the Ukrainian president's office, said Russian forces overnight fired on seven regions in Ukraine’s south and east, employing missiles, drones and heavy artillery. At least one civilian was killed and two wounded.

Tymoshenko said that as of Tuesday, power had been restored to 24% of residents in the hard-hit southern city of Kherson.

On the battlefields in eastern Ukraine's Russia-annexed Luhansk region, Ukrainian forces were continuing a slow advance, pushing toward Russian defense lines set up between two key cities, Gov. Serhiy Haidai said. He acknowledged in televised remarks that the onset of winter was compounding a “difficult” military situation.

The prospect of any peace remained remote. The Kremlin reaffirmed Tuesday that negotiations could only be possible if Ukraine meets Russian demands. Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters that “it’s impossible to hold any talks now because the Ukrainian side strongly rejects them.”

He noted that “political will and readiness to discuss the Russian demands” are needed to conduct negotiations.

Russia has demanded that Ukraine recognize Crimea as part of Russia and acknowledge other Russian gains. It also has repeated its earlier demands for “demilitarization” and “denazification,” albeit with less vigor than in the past.

Ukraine wants Russia to withdraw from Crimea, which it annexed in 2014, and other Ukrainian territory, face prosecution for war crimes and rebuild Ukraine, as well as other demands.

___
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• It's so, so important that western leaders understand and also educate their constituencies to understand that there's no possibility of a negotiated peace on the horizon. This isn't some function of Ukrainian unreasoned hard-headedness. It REMAINS because of Russia's unpreparedness to accept their defeat. As such, defeat must be imposed upon Russia in terms they will understand. That can only mean the ejection of all Russian forces from all Ukrainian pre-2014 soil.

That is clear defeat on the ground, where it matters most. Russian policy, as presently formulated, though means even this defeat will not be final-

"He noted that 'political will and readiness to discuss the Russian demands” are needed to conduct negotiations.'"

As Russian demands aren't grounded in the rules of international law that's a real problem. This is also a forever problem. There are far, far too many Russians entirely accustomed to being brutalized by their own government...and liking it. As such, they completely agree with their government...to the extent possible for them. Until, of course, it directly and adversely impacts their lives. Outside of Moscow and St. Petersburg (and even within) this is largely the mindset of the Russian constituency.

The only thing we've got going is an insatiable desire by Russians for toilets and washing machines. They, however, seemed to have lost sight of how that's properly accomplished.

We've got to fight for total victory and prepare for a post-war environment requiring heavily-fortified borders between Ukraine and Russia and closing of the Kerch Strait by both sides (assuming Russia ejected from Crimea). Ports like Mariupol, Berdyansk, Taganrog and Rostov-On-Don would be functionally useless as embarkation points for Russian or Ukrainian goods. Those have got to be the objectives until the Russians irrevocably come to their senses.

What a God-awful mess. Putin is such a dick. So too all the ORCS following him like the Pied piper.
          "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
          "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

• I wonder the possibility of a Ukrainian canal crossing through the Perekop Isthmus from the Sea of Azov to the Black Sea. It would render the Kerch Straits moot as a choke point for Ukrainian commerce. I'm assuming it's been considered and rejected because that area is largely a vast tidal marsh and would consequently be impossible to keep channels properly dredged.
            "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

It's so, so important that western leaders understand and also educate their constituencies to understand that there's no possibility of a negotiated peace on the horizon. This isn't some function of Ukrainian unreasoned hard-headedness. It REMAINS because of Russia's unpreparedness to accept their defeat. As such, defeat must be imposed upon Russia in terms they will understand. That can only mean the ejection of all Russian forces from all Ukrainian pre-2014 soil.
              Boom. Mic drop.
              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

I wonder the possibility of a Ukrainian canal crossing through the Perekop Isthmus from the Sea of Azov to the Black Sea. It would render the Kerch Straits moot as a choke point for Ukrainian commerce. I'm assuming it's been considered and rejected because that area is largely a vast tidal marsh and would consequently be impossible to keep channels properly dredged.
                There is also a vital freshwater canal running from the Dnipro that is the difference between Crimea being a viable entity and in semi-permanent drought. While there is likely some clever engineering solution to that, it would likely add substantial cost and complexity to an already messy & expensive project. Ukraine will have bigger fish to fry infrastructure wise for at least a decade, probably more.
                sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	Ukrainian 152mm shells.jpeg
Views:	190
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	1594711

Supposedly indigenous produced Ukrainian 152mm ammo. I presumed Ukraine had a domestic ammo production capacity. Maybe not and this is, therefore, new. Anyway, sure are shiny! Lots and lots of sharp, shiny fragments.

Comment

It's so, so important that western leaders understand and also educate their constituencies to understand that there's no possibility of a negotiated peace on the horizon. This isn't some function of Ukrainian unreasoned hard-headedness. It REMAINS because of Russia's unpreparedness to accept their defeat. As such, defeat must be imposed upon Russia in terms they will understand. That can only mean the ejection of all Russian forces from all Ukrainian pre-2014 soil.
                    The military picture is only one obstacle. I will argue the political picture of regaining 2014 borders to be a bigger obstacle. The LNR and DNR has fielded 100K+ men into this war and a fair guess, suffered 50K+ casualties AND no meaningful insurgency, even when the Russians gave up all pretence of local rule and appointed rulers from Moscow.

Kiev has done nothing to address their grievances. Offered nothing in terms of autonomy, budgets, power sharing, etc. Frankly, I don't know how you can do this in the middle of a war of national survival. But the point remains, to achieve military victory over the LNR and DNR will require going Mongol on the DNR and LNR populations. And then trying to offer enough rights and power sharing to avoid an insurgency. That political juggling act would make NATO membership look like a 5 year old colouring book.

The one thing I can come up with is voluntary ethnic cleansing ala Krajina or Kosovo. The locals voluntary leave their homes to perceived safety in Russia but that would mean entire opening the borders to Russia (can't see that happening).

Originally posted by S2 View Post
                    Supposedly indigenous produced Ukrainian 152mm ammo. I presumed Ukraine had a domestic ammo production capacity. Maybe not and this is, therefore, new. Anyway, sure are shiny! Lots and lots of sharp, shiny fragments.
                    Kiev, the city, had an ordnance factory. They've supposedly have exhausted their pre-war and NATO supplied stocks for their Soviet era/designed guns but they have not stopped using those guns ... and no one else is supplying them. So, it would seem that local production has recovered. Logical since they're repairing Russian damaged weapons to be fielding under Ukrainian flags. They've got to be getting their ammo from somewhere.
                    Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 30 Nov 22,, 00:44.
                    Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by Monash View Post

Yes, it's colder up there so the ground might be a bit harder. Still seems to be mostly the usual Russian mish mash of localized (and costly) infantry attacks supported by heavy shelling. (Who knew WW1 tactics would be such a hit with Russians). Thing is though there's no sign of a larger coordinated offensive from anyone and I'm still betting on not seeing one for a couple of weeks yet at least. But Ukraine can't afford to wait too long either. Russia may not be able to pull off any large scale offensive just yet but it can entrench like there's no tomorrow.
                      I’m waiting for the Zaporizhzhia front to open.

Comment

• Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                        Kiev has done nothing to address their grievances. Offered nothing in terms of autonomy, budgets, power sharing, etc. Frankly, I don't know how you can do this in the middle of a war of national survival. But the point remains, to achieve military victory over the LNR and DNR will require going Mongol on the DNR and LNR populations. And then trying to offer enough rights and power sharing to avoid an insurgency. That political juggling act would make NATO membership look like a 5 year old colouring book.
                        The DNR and LNR are gone as far as I’m concerned. Any pro-Kiev residents left years ago. Russian influence is too entrenched there now that it’ll be a perpetual political problem for Kiev. There will never be any political solution to any grievances because the goal posts will just get moved until it’s untenable. Ukraine will have to settle for what Finland did after the Winter War and cede territory to the Russians and move on.

Crimea? I dunno. Does anyone think that’s possible outside of a Russian collapse?

Comment

• Originally posted by statquo View Post

The DNR and LNR are gone as far as I’m concerned. Any pro-Kiev residents left years ago. Russian influence is too entrenched there now that it’ll be a perpetual political problem for Kiev. There will never be any political solution to any grievances because the goal posts will just get moved until it’s untenable. Ukraine will have to settle for what Finland did after the Winter War and cede territory to the Russians and move on.

Crimea? I dunno. Does anyone think that’s possible outside of a Russian collapse?
                          I wonder though, how thrilled the residents are, being part of the Great Russian Organized Crime Kleptocracy.

Didn't somebody post an article or Twitter thread several months back, about how appalled the DNR/LNR residents were when Moscow moved in and the gangsterism began?

Trying to remember where I read about that...

Not saying that Ukrainian troops would be greeted with bottles of vodka and roast veal by the residents of course.

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                            I wonder though, how thrilled the residents are, being part of the Great Russian Organized Crime Kleptocracy.

Didn't somebody post an article or Twitter thread several months back, about how appalled the DNR/LNR residents were when Moscow moved in and the gangsterism began?
                            Trains ran on time when local crime bosses got the boot.

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post

Not saying that Ukrainian troops would be greeted with bottles of vodka and roast veal by the residents of course.
                            It's complicated and one even Moscow is having headaches. 100K+ troops suffering 50K+ casualties say pro-Russian Donbass troops will fight and fight damned hard but they're not willing to fight outside of their home areas. Hell, they're even refusing to fight for each other. LNR and DNR troops refused to be relocated into each other regions.

The cynic in me says put Poroshenko in charge of the LNR/DNR and let him carbombed the crime bosses, and thus the populace, into submission.
                            Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post

I read that too somewhere...

Comment

• Dated Article and I can only assume any pro-Kiev sentiments have long since disappeared when the war began

Eastern Ukraine: Different Dynamics - Uncertain Ground: Engaging With Europe’s De Facto States and Breakaway Territories - Carnegie Europe - Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
                                Chimo

Comment

Working...
                                X