This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
    I'm not disputing that Sir, I've read for years about extra gear being bought and sent to U.S. troops in Iraq and Afghanistan by their families because it was superior to their issued kit, supplementing as you said.
    They've got issued garrison dress but not the combat kit. Not much difference since WWII

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...dual_equipment

Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
      They've got issued garrison dress but not the combat kit. Not much difference since WWII

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...dual_equipment
      Exactly. They're being sent into combat without any combat kit. "Winter Fritz" meme from World War II has become "Winter Ivan".
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post

Exactly. They're being sent into combat without any combat kit. "Winter Fritz" meme from World War II has become "Winter Ivan".
        Do you remember during the second Iraq war, the US military was issuing old type helmets and body armor? Not enough of the current system to go around.
        No one, Russians, Chinese or US buys a block of gear all at once to equip the entire force.

The normal system in Russia is that as one years conscripts go home the new incoming troops get their equipment.. These "extra" troops screw that system up.

I would bet if the US military fleshed out every unit to 100% combat strength we couldn't fully equip everyone with the current standard.

As a example the US Army adopted the M-16A2 in 1986. I trained with Army units in the early 90s that still had A-1s

Comment

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post

Do you remember during the second Iraq war, the US military was issuing old type helmets and body armor? Not enough of the current system to go around.
          No one, Russians, Chinese or US buys a block of gear all at once to equip the entire force.

The normal system in Russia is that as one years conscripts go home the new incoming troops get their equipment.. These "extra" troops screw that system up.

I would bet if the US military fleshed out every unit to 100% combat strength we couldn't fully equip everyone with the current standard.

As a example the US Army adopted the M-16A2 in 1986. I trained with Army units in the early 90s that still had A-1s
          That's all true and I have no doubt that the US couldn't fully kit out every combat unit with the current stuff. But...they will get something, won't they? Troops about to sent to the front lines aren't going to be told to head down to the local shopping center or online store and buy their own medkits and sleeping bags, right? US troops weren't looting footwear from Iraqis and Afghanis were they?

I was talking with a Russian fellow today who had a first cousin in the Russian Army during the 90s, a praporshchik that "managed" two logistics warehouses in the Far East, one for food and the other for clothing. He said the opportunities for selling off inventory were many and taken full advantage of. You just had to take care of a few officers above you of course.

“He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• None of this translate that the Russian Army is on the verge of panic and collapse. Lyman is still being fought over tooth and nail and odds are, the Russians will escape encirclement. The enemy is still in the field and capable of shooting back.
            Chimo

Comment

• What happens when one of Putin's mouthpieces gets his callup notice? A tantrum of course. The demand that ethnic minorities, 'perverts' & 'art students' be sent is predictably Fascist. The old guy absolutely nailing his cowardice is hilarious. The mouthpiece declaring he doesn't 'want to die in Donbass' is priceless. No one does, but he is happy to demand others die in his place.

Chickenhawk 101

https://twitter.com/R82938886/status...SPR14glEpqVLJQ
              sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• Bigfella, the subs is a parody. The propagandists are however shifting the blame for the conscription on the military bureaucracy, likely at Putin's orders.

All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
                -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

• Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                  None of this translate that the Russian Army is on the verge of panic and collapse. Lyman is still being fought over tooth and nail and odds are, the Russians will escape encirclement. The enemy is still in the field and capable of shooting back.
                  All of the abandoned vehicles, ammo and equipment aren’t indicative of panic? Sure maybe not collapse but at least some kind panic ?

Comment

• I indicated the Russian Army, not individual units. Kherson is being fought tooth and nail and so is Lyman. They will lose Lyman but they will not lose the units defending Lyman.
                    Chimo

Comment

• I indicated the Russian Army, not individual units. Kherson is being fought tooth and nail and so is Lyman. They will lose Lyman but they will not lose the units defending Lyman.
                      I think Lyman is a political decision...some indications that Putin is doing the no-retreat-fortress-city thing.
                      There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
                        I think Lyman is a political decision...some indications that Putin is doing the no-retreat-fortress-city thing.
                        Putin is no Stalin and Lyman is no Stalingrad. Lyman is no trap for a Ukrainian Army Group Central.
                        Chimo

Comment

• I meant the other big baddie.

We’ll find out soon if the Ukrainians are capturing lots of equipment or lots of POWs, and that will be a good indicator of how much flexibility Putin is giving his commanders.
                          There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                            What happens when one of Putin's mouthpieces gets his callup notice? A tantrum of course. The demand that ethnic minorities, 'perverts' & 'art students' be sent is predictably Fascist. The old guy absolutely nailing his cowardice is hilarious. The mouthpiece declaring he doesn't 'want to die in Donbass' is priceless. No one does, but he is happy to demand others die in his place.

Chickenhawk 101

https://twitter.com/R82938886/status...SPR14glEpqVLJQ
                            Those are parody subtitles.

Comment

• Originally posted by dan m View Post

All of the abandoned vehicles, ammo and equipment aren’t indicative of panic? Sure maybe not collapse but at least some kind panic ?
                              Sounds more like procrastination than panic. Putin delays until the last minute, then tells them to get out of trouble. Otherwise, the Ukrainians would be capturing more prisoners.

Comment

• Russians mil bloggers reporting Lyman is now operationally encircled. Looks like AFU is going for double envelopment.

Comment

Working...
                                X