X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wives should submit to their Husbands teach British and American schools

Seriously?

'Wives should submit to their husbands', say textbooks used in three Manchester schools

Hardline Christian schools in Manchester have defended teaching children from American textbooks which state that abortion is wrong, evolution is a lie and homosexuals choose to be gay.

Three private schools in Ancoats, Moston and Ardwick use the Tennessee-based Accelerated Christian Education (ACE) curriculum.

Textbooks provided by the organisation and seen by the M.E.N. also state ‘God wants wives to submit to their husbands’ and tells kids they can avoid AIDS by practising the Bible.

But school leaders and Christian Education Europe (CEE) - which provides the curriculum to schools on the continent - say the literature is only a ‘tool’ in a wider education.

Headteacher Brenda Lewis, who established the ACE King of Kings School on Dantzic Street, Ancoats, in 1986, said: “The textbooks in isolation only show a very small part of a very large curriculum. It’s a starting point not a finishing point.

“As Christians we believe the Bible and we believe what the Bible says, and it does say a number of those things, but we are not single-issue people and we teach our students to think for themselves and realise there are a vast number of issues.”

Dr Greg Hibbins, general manager of Christian Education Europe, said: “The users of our curriculum are independent and have the choice to adapt and manage the content as they choose.”

Lighthouse Christian School in Moston and Sons of Light Academy in Ardwick are also among 22 UK schools listed on the CEE website.

The schools sit an International Christian Certificate of Education instead of GCSEs and A-Levels.

In their last Ofsted inspections, King of Kings was graded inadequate and Lighthouse Christian School was satisfactory.

There is no evidence of the Sons of Light Academy apart from the CEE site.

Ofsted has recently tightened its rules on inspections for private schools to include examining their literature and curriculum.

A spokeswoman said: “Under the new tougher inspection regime schools are expected to teach a broad and balanced curriculum.”

A Department for Education spokeswoman said: “All independent schools — including those run by Christian Education Europe — must ensure that pupils are taught respect for others of different cultures and beliefs.”

Accelerated Christian Education schools Manchester: Christian schools defend use of American textbooks with hardline views on abortion, evolution and homosexuality - Manchester Evening News

Manchester school defends Christian textbooks saying 'God wants wives to submit to husbands'

A private Christian School in Manchester has defended using American textbooks on their curriculum which state God wants wives to submit to their husbands, children can avoid AIDS by practicing the Bible, and homosexuality is a learned behaviour.

Three private schools in Manchester are among over 20 UK schools listed as using the Tennessee-based Accelerated Christian Education (ACE) curriculum.

ACE textbooks provided by Christian Education Europe and seen by the Manchester Evening News advocates creationism instead of evolution and teach that abortion is wrong, but school leaders and the supplier claim the books are only supposed to be used as a one part of a wider education.

Headteacher Brenda Lewis, who established the ACE King of Kings School on Dantzic Street in Ancoats, in 1986, told the newspaper: “The textbooks in isolation only show a very small part of a very large curriculum. It’s a starting point not a finishing point.

“As Christians we believe the Bible and we believe what the Bible says, and it does say a number of those things, but we are not single-issue people and we teach our students to think for themselves and realise there are a vast number of issues.”

Dr Greg Hibbins, general manager of Christian Education Europe, said in a statement that “no curriculum – Christian or secular – can cover every single concept in a way that would please everyone.

“The curriculum is therefore only part of the educational experience of the child and must be informed by the teacher/parent as they choose to interpret and apply the curriculum in a way that reflects their individual learning outcomes, value system and free choice.

“The users of our curriculum are independent and have the choice to adapt and manage the curriculum content as they so choose.”

Students at schools using the curriculum do not sit GCSE or A-Level examinations, instead working towards an International Christian Certificate of Education. In their last Ofsted inspections, King of Kings was graded inadequate.

A Department for Education spokeswoman said: “All independent schools — including those run by Christian Education Europe — must ensure that pupils are taught respect for others of different cultures and beliefs.”

Manchester school defends Christian textbooks saying 'God wants wives to submit to husbands' - Education News - Education - The Independent

Does not say much for gender equality and mutual respect in a society when this is what kids are being taught in school.

As a father of 2 daughters, pending the availability / inclusion of an emoticon for the bird, I guess I'll have to make do with the next nearest to mirror my feelings on this ....

:puck:
    Last edited by sated buddha; 21 Jun 14,, 04:28.

A Modern Testament is needed.
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by sated buddha View Post

Does not say much for gender equality and mutual respect in a society when this is what kids are being taught in school.

As a father of 2 daughters, pending the availability / inclusion of an emoticon for the bird, I guess I'll have to make do with the next nearest to mirror my feelings on this ....

:puck:
      You're point being exactly what? I can take that first sentence and apply it to many societies around the world as there are fringe groups in every society. You do realize that there are some who still believe the world is flat. Some believe the Apollo Moon Missions were filmed in a studio. So far at least this group, who is not alone in these beliefs, doesn't generally go out and kill females who don't toe the line as some do quite often.

Besides, since this is a private school, they are free to teach any damn thing they want whether you or I or whoever almighty might think. I know and understand that and I would surely think that you do to which leads me to what is your point since this isn't news to many of us.

Comment

Seriously?

'Wives should submit to their husbands', say textbooks used in three Manchester schools

Hardline Christian schools in Manchester have defended teaching children from American textbooks which state that abortion is wrong, evolution is a lie and homosexuals choose to be gay.
        I would like to point out that abortion is wrong, it is repugnant and evil.

Comment

Sb

We have our nuts just like every other country. Its a religious home schooled program. Not something you will find in 99% of the schools in the US

Originally posted by zraver View Post
          I would like to point out that abortion is wrong, it is repugnant and evil.
          Then don't get one.

Comment

I realize that Gun Grape. But seriously, even if its a smal percentage, shouldn't someone, probably from the governement, do something?

I mean, I haven't delved (yet) into the nitty gritty of what the Bible says that is being taught to impressionable kids, or on the other hand, what the American and British legal system has to say about marital rape, but its looking like just because these are private schools, probably unaided, they are stretching the elastic band of propriety here.

Just because these are private schools, and the views taught are not shared by the whole, does not mean the kids who go through this system will not/could not marry spouses who went through the regular system as adults.

What happens then?

Is this in a way not perpetuating crime,leave alone being frankly pretty disgusting archaic medieval and chauvinistic to begin with?

Comment

Seriously?

WHAT!!:bang:......my wife has been disobeying me all this while and ordering me around.

The bible has a whole lot of things that can be ignored and a whole lot of things that can be imbibed.
              The old testament was written to make laws for those times, wives were very disobedient you know
              Last edited by lemontree; 21 Jun 14,, 08:58.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Which sad bastard thought this up , must have a tyrant forra missis .Or a closet islamist .

Walk 3 steps behind me and look like a letter box , sod that gimme a glimpse of the goodies hunny ;)
                Last edited by tankie; 21 Jun 14,, 11:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                  A Modern Testament is needed.
                  The requirement for wives to obtain their husband's approval in order to get a job in this country was struck from the law the year my parents were married.
                  The right to sign contracts without their husband's approval was given to wives the year my mother turned eighteen.
                  The right to hold a bank account aside from their husband's was given to wives when my grandmother turned thirty.
                  The right to drive cars without their husband's approval was given to wives four years before that.

The act of a husband physically forcing his wife to have sex became a crime in this country when I was eighteen.

And among the members of this forum, i'd consider myself relatively young. And I live in a "western" country.
                  Last edited by kato; 21 Jun 14,, 11:17.

Comment

I realize that Gun Grape. But seriously, even if its a smal percentage, shouldn't someone, probably from the governement, do something?

I mean, I haven't delved (yet) into the nitty gritty of what the Bible says that is being taught to impressionable kids, or on the other hand, what the American and British legal system has to say about marital rape, but its looking like just because these are private schools, probably unaided, they are stretching the elastic band of propriety here.

Just because these are private schools, and the views taught are not shared by the whole, does not mean the kids who go through this system will not/could not marry spouses who went through the regular system as adults.

What happens then?

Is this in a way not perpetuating crime,leave alone being frankly pretty disgusting archaic medieval and chauvinistic to begin with?
                    Teaching it is one thing. Getting women to go along with it is entirely another. Not only is the law on their side, but the authorities are quite prepared to follow through. There is no legal basis for spousal 'obedience', even if you put it into your wedding vows. Any husband who tries to enforce such outdated & frankly repugnant idea will be in for a rude shock.

I don't know how much influence the British Government has over independent religious schools. It varies from country to country & even state to state. Freedom of conscience when it comes to religion is often quite fiercely defended in Western nations - a legacy of millennia of religious wars & religious persecution. Governments are often (though not always) reluctant to wield the big stick, especially on a few lines in a textbook used by 20 schools. That doesn't mean nothing will be done, but governments tend to tread carefully in such matters.
                    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Women have equal rights to men and should be treat so , its barbaric the way some cultures treat females , as for the weaker sex , ppffffffffffftt bollox dont believe it , I for one would not like the pain they go thro at giving birth :pari:

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
                        Women have equal rights to men and should be treat so , its barbaric the way some cultures treat females , as for the weaker sex , ppffffffffffftt bollox dont believe it , I for one would not like the pain they go thro at giving birth :pari:
                        We got the better part of the biological equation for sure. Anyone who thinks women aren't tough just ain't paying attention.
                        sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Women are very strong, and very brave. I have three of them at home, and I am disgusted at such news reports in my morning newspaper. Hence my reaction.

Comment

Avoid AIDS by practising the bible. Amazing!!

Comment

In a word Ladies and Gentlemen 'context'. To the extent I was taught literary criticism the advice I was given was to never take any single quotation or line of text from a literary work or historical text without first referencing it to the preceding and following lines. In that context I refer you to Ephesians, Chapter 5 verse 22-33.

"22 Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord.
                              23 For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior.
                              24 Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.
                              25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her
                              26 to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word,
                              27 and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless.
                              28 In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself.
                              29 After all, no one ever hated his own body, but he feeds and cares for it, just as Christ does the church--
                              30 for we are members of his body.
                              31 For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.
                              32 This is a profound mystery--but I am talking about Christ and the church.
                              33 However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband."

The verses in question set place a burden on the husbands shoulders as well. Those of Forum members who are married men could perhaps ask ourselves how well we live up to the prescriptions contained in this chapter. It places burdens on men as well as women. That aside it is also important to remember the historical and cultural contexts of documents as well. Put each text in its place and time and then derive what wisdom/insight or lessons you may from its contents , whether it is the Bible, the Vedas, Wuthering Heights or Chaucer.

Cheers
                              Last edited by Monash; 21 Jun 14,, 12:52.
                              If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

Working...
                              X