X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donetsk leaflet: Jews must register or face deportation

Donetsk leaflet: Jews must register or face deportation

Fear replaced communal atmosphere in Donetsk's Jewish community as armed men handed out a leaflet Passover eve calling on Jews register their religion and property with the interim pro-Russian government or face deportation and loss of citizenship.

Michal Margalit
    Published: 04.16.14, 23:48 / Israel News

A leaflet distributed in Donetsk, Ukraine calling for all Jews over 16 years old to register as Jews marred the Jewish community's Passover festivities Monday (Passover eve), replacing them with feelings of concern.

The leaflet demanded the city's Jews supply a detailed list of all the property they own, or else have their citizenship revoked, face deportion and see their assets confiscated.

Donetsk, a Ukraine province with 4.3 million people - 10 percent of Ukraine's population - and 17,000 Jews, is home to much of the country's heavy industry, and is thus the biggest prize of the eastern regions where pro-Russian separatists have captured government buildings in the past week.

The leaflet, signed by Chairman of Donetsk's temporary government Denis Pushilin, was distrbiuted to Jews near the Donetsk synagogue and later in other areas of the city where pro-Russians activists have declared Donetsk as an independent "people's republic", defying an ultimatum from Kiev to surrender.

The leaflet was written in Russian and had Russia's national symbol on it, as well as the Donetsk People's Republic insignia.

"Dear Ukraine citizens of Jewish nationality," the flyer began, "due to the fact that the leaders of the Jewish community of Ukraine
    supported Bendery Junta," a reference to Stepan Bandera, the leader of the Ukrainian nationalist movement which fought for Ukrainian independence at the end of World War II, "and oppose the pro-Slavic People's Republic of Donetsk, (the interim government) has decided that all citizens of Jewish descent, over 16 years of age and residing within the republic's territory are required to report to the Commissioner for Nationalities in the Donetsk Regional Administration building and register."

The leaflet detailed what type of documents the Jewish citizens would need to supply: "ID and passport are required to register your Jewish religion, religious documents of family members, as well as documents establishing the rights to all real estate property that belongs to you, including vehicles."

If the message was not made clear enough, the leaflet further stipulated the consequences that would come to those who failed to abide by the new demands: "Evasion of registration will result in citizenship revoke and you will be forced outside the country with a confiscation of property."

To add insult to injury, the leaflet demanded the Jews pay a registration fee of $50

According to Alex Tenzer, a Kiev native and one of the directors of the National Association of Immigrants from the Former USSR in Israel, said: "The Jewish-Ukrainian leadership supports Ukraine's new government, but it's hard to tell whether the leaflet is valid or simply a provocation.

"Anyway, the material is very anti-Semitic and reminds me of the kind of material distributed by the Nazis in WWII."

Emanuelle Shechter, from Israel, received a copy of the leaflet via Whatsapp from his friends in Donetsk. "They told me that masked men were waiting for Jewish people after the Passover eve prayer, handed them the flyer and told them to obey its instructions."

Olga Reznikova, a member of Donetsk's Jewish community, told Ynet that "we do not know if the leaflet was spread by pro-Russian forces or someone else, but it did manage to create quite a fear. This reminds me of texts from darker times. Other members of the Jewish community I spoke with are not afraid, but it is unpleasant.

"I do not intend to register, I am 32, I have lived in Donetsk my entire life and have never had to deal with anti-Semitism until I laid eyes on this piece of paper. Though I take it very seriously, I am uncertain of its authenticity."

Jenia from Israel, who also received the letter from a Jewish acquaintance, said "the Jews in Donetsk are uncertain of anything; it is unclear who is responsible for the leaflet and who controls the city at the moment.

"We don't feel safe like we used to because of the political instability in the area; there isn't a legitimate president or sovereign. Currently Donetsk is ruled by a junta."

In a response to a request by a Ukrainian Jewish website, Pushilin, the interim government's regional chairman, confirmed that the flyers were distributed by his organization, but denied any connection to the leaflet's content.
    Not to fall directly into Godwin's Law, but the similarities between this and 1930's Germany are slightly frightening.
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

In a response to a request by a Ukrainian Jewish website, Pushilin, the interim government's regional chairman, confirmed that the flyers were distributed by his organization, but denied any connection to the leaflet's content.
    What in the blue hell is THAT supposed to mean? :bang:
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
      What in the blue hell is THAT supposed to mean? :bang:
      a.They had some issues with drunkards.Nothing new or unexpected.
      b.He may not be the best communicator.Members of his organisation may have started to push some personal agenda.
      c.Jews are supporting fascists in the West.Jews are also supporting the commies in the East.Fvck all of this confusion,they should just go to Israel.

Needless to say,this is not the best PR,but the emphasis on this insignificant BS,at this point,is nothing but information warfare as usual.
      Those who know don't speak
      He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post

Not to fall directly into Godwin's Law, but the similarities between this and 1930's Germany are slightly frightening.
        It is hard to know what to think BR. These are the same people who have been screaming about 'Nazis' & 'Fascists', now they there threatening Jews because they apparently support the Nazis in question. Neatly exposes the hollowness of Russian propaganda. There is so much about the current situation that is a sort of brutal theatre that it is impossible to know what is to be taken seriously & what is not. At face value it is scary, especially if these folk actually get control of Donetsk. The enemies lists are being drawn up already.
        sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Today, the Western press caught up with the Ukrainian rumor mill: apparently, the People's Republic of Donetsk had ordered all Jews over the age of 16 to pay a fee of $50 U.S. and register with the new "authorities," or face loss of citizenship or expulsion. This was laid out in officious-looking fliers pasted on the local synagogue. One local snapped a photo of the fliers and sent it to a friend in Israel, who then took it to the Israeli press and, voila, an international scandal: American Twitter is abuzz with it, Drudge is hawking it, and, today in Geneva, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry slammed the fliers as "grotesque."

The Donetsk Jewish community dismissed this as "a provocation," which it clearly is. "It's an obvious provocation designed to get this exact response, going all the way up to Kerry," says Fyodr Lukyanov, editor of Russia in Global Affairs. "I have no doubt that there is a sizeable community of anti-Semites on both sides of the barricades, but for one of them to do something this stupid—this is done to compromise the pro-Russian groups in the east."

Why? The Russian government has been playing up the (real but small) role of fascists and neo-Nazis in the victory of the EuroMaidan in Kiev. The Ukrainian government, utterly powerless to fight off the Russians and their local stooges, have had to rely on other methods, like leaking taped phone calls of allegedly local separatists getting their commands from Moscow. This may be just another tactic to smear the so-called anti-Maidan in the east of Ukraine: you think we're fascists? Well, take a look at these guys.

Indeed, the Russian web chatter has sniffed the hand of the Dnipropetrovsk city government. (Dnipropetrovsk is another eastern Ukrainian city, but one that has been spared this chaos, in part because of the firm hand of its new regional governor, Jewish businessman Ihor Kolomoisky. One (Jewish) blogger said he received a similar looking flier from an official in the Dnipropetrovsk city administration.

On the other hand, says Vladimir Fedorin, an independent Russian journalist working in Ukraine, we shouldn't totally dismiss these fliers. "I think the fliers are fake, but the anti-Maidan crowd is a collection of the hardcore 'alternative' variety and criminals, so it's possible some of them are capable of this." To wit, there were also reports of teenagers distributing these fliers.

So, in conclusion: the Jews of Donetsk and eastern Ukraine may have been asked by a leaflet to register, but it has not been enforced nor are any Ukrainian Jews registering themselves. If that changes, I'll be all over it, but so far, you can breathe easy. No Holocaust 2.0 just yet.

Relax, Ukraine is Not Ordering Its Jews to Register | New Republic

http://mashable.com/2014/04/17/pamph...ister-ukraine/
          "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Surprised they forgot to include a yellow Star of David armband. At any rate, this seems way too overt to be bona-fide.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Minskaya View Post
              Surprised they forgot to include a yellow Star of David armband. At any rate, this seems way too overt to be bona-fide.
              But I will add that the press secretary for Denis Pushilin, the leader of the pro-Russian "Donetsk People’s Republic" is none other than Aleksander Kriakov who is a well known anti-Semite in Ukraine.
              sigpic

Comment

So, as far as I know now, it is most likely not an official document, though it is kinda affiliated with the people that are in power at the moment.

Be that as it may, even if the document is not official, it shows a terrible mind frame. The fact that someone even thought up this type of document shows that under the surface, these thoughts are still alive and well.
                Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Ben....its really not even under the surface...
                  “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                  Mark Twain

Comment

Just to show you how much this topic resonates and touches a nerve:

A month and a half ago I began working for Danny Ayalon (former Ambassador to the US and former Israeli Deputy Foreign Minister), and among other things, I was also made an Admin of his Facebook page. Obviously, it's very right-wing oriented. The two most successful posts I wrote on his Facebook page each had an exposure of just over 20,000, that is, 20,000 individual people on Facebook saw those posts, either by liking the post, sharing it, or commenting on it.

The post I wrote about this document, at last count, has been seen by 128,832 people. Whether official, rogue, or otherwise, everyone knows that the chances of something like this actually happening are far too high for this just to be dismissed as a prank or something in that light

Comment

As I see it Ben, there are four *prime* possibilities:

1) It was composed by Aleksander Kriakov (Donetsk People's Republic) and distributed by some pro-Russia goons. Kriakov is a well known anti-Semite. It could have been a threatening response to a March 5 Open Letter from influential Jews in Ukraine to Russian Federation president Vladimir Putin.

2) A false-flag operation by Right Sektor to discredit pro-Russia separatists in eastern Ukraine.

3) A byproduct of the open internecine hostility between influential rabbis in Ukraine (who support Kyiv) and in Russia (who support Moscow).

4) A common-criminal scheme which utilizes the current political instability to siphon money from Jews via a phony "registration fee".
                      sigpic

Comment

Approximately 1.5 million Jews were murdered in Ukraine during WWII. In Czarist times, bloody pogroms occurred in Ukraine with nauseating frequency. With the blessing of the Czar, Cossack raiders on horseback armed with swords would descend on a Jewish village to rape, murder, and plunder. Persecution continued under the Soviets. Prior to Operation Barbarossa, around 30,000 Jews lived in Donetsk. Most of them fled eastwards as the Nazis approached. During the occupation of Donetsk, 3,000 remaining Jews were rounded up and placed in a ghetto. Two months later, they were all shot. Today there are about 15,000 Jews living in Donetsk. Antisemitism still exists in Ukraine, but it has been greatly attenuated since independence. The story only surfaced internationally after it was revealed by Israeli media and then picked up by US media.

I'll take this opportunity to mention the work of Father Patrick Desbois whose organization - Yahad – In Unum - discovers and documents Jewish mass execution sites in Ukraine and Belarus. Such an endeavor would be impossible without the assistance and testimony of Ukrainians who bore witness to these horrific events. (Mass execution sites) have been documented by Yahad – In Unum in four of the cities currently under pro-Russia separatist control: Donetsk (1), Slavyansk (2), Kramatorsk (3), Horlivka (1).
                        Last edited by Minskaya; 19 Apr 14,, 13:22.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X