Bundeswehr Restructuring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks

Totally missed them. In the early 1980s the 231st Gebirgsjaegers was one of our partnership units; the other was the 351st Panzergrenadiers. Got to go through mountain school in Bad Reichenhall. While at the end of 3 weeks they did give us the edelweis badge, I think they were just being nice...not sure we really earned it!

Thanks for the extra info...really helps.

Man, I remember when Deutsches Heer was 12 Divisions of badass! My brigade plugged into the 12th Panzer Division for a lot of the war plans.
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
      In the early 1980s the 231st Gebirgsjaegers was one of our partnership units; the other was the 351st Panzergrenadiers.
      231st GebJg is the "heavy" mountain infantry equipped with Boxers nowadays, identical ToE as any of the regular Jäger units - basically the German equivalent of a Stryker infantry battalion, just with more armour. Will deploy to Mali in October.

351st PzGren was dissolved in 1993.

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
      Man, I remember when Deutsches Heer was 12 Divisions of badass! My brigade plugged into the 12th Panzer Division for a lot of the war plans.
      14 combat divisions and 55 brigades in late 1990 after integration of the National People's Army.

Sequential reduction was by 50% to come under 2+4 Treaty ceiling (by 1993), by another 30% to shift from conscript army to deployment focus (1997), another 50% when recruitment and finances were no longer sustainable (2003) and another 25% when conscription was "temporarily suspended" (2011).

Comment

• I knew the 351st PzGren were early disbandment. The unit I was in (1st Infantry Division (FOrward)) was the first unit to disband...right after the Gulf War.

BITD I remember very few vehicles around for the 231st GebJg! Much has changed!
        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
        Mark Twain

Comment

• They got unarmoured Bv-206D starting in 1989 (first tests in 1984), with most Gebirgsjäger units switching to armoured Bv-206S starting in 2006. I think 231st was switched over to Fuchs APCs at that time, with plans to equip them with Bv-206S when additional ones would be bought. That procurement plan was struck in 2011 and it was decided to keep the heavy outfit and switch them over to Boxer. There's currently a new programme for a replacement snow-capable armoured vehicle to replace Bv-206S for the other two battalions.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
            Kato,

Any word on which way the Bundeswehr is leaning on the rifle replacement program? I'm assuming HK 416 or 433 are preferred choices over the Steyr RS-556, and SIG MCX due to local production considerations.

The HK 433 is supposedly a bit cheaper and more reliable, while the HK 416 would provide commonality with the French and the associated logistical advantages that entails.
            Apparently Haenel has won the tender with its MK556 Gen2 offer - competition was down to Haenel against the HK433 since mid-2018. Ugly as hell, that thing, even uses some M4 components.
            Posssible contract is for only 120,000 rifles though.

For scale of public interest in that, the website of Haenel is currently down from overload ;-)

Edit, PS: Now officially confirmed by the MoD.
            Last edited by kato; 15 Sep 20,, 11:04.

Comment

Working...
            X