Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Queen Elizabeth II has passed away

Queen Elizabeth II dies at 96, Buckingham Palace announces

LONDON — Queen Elizabeth II, the monarch of the United Kingdom and head of the Commonwealth, has died at age 96, Buckingham Palace announced.

The queen died on Thursday as members of her immediate family rushed to be by her side, including her son and heir, Prince Charles.

Earlier Thursday, the palace announced royal doctors were concerned over her health and placed her “under medical supervision” at her residence at Balmoral Castle in Scotland. The day before, the 96-year-old queen pulled out of a virtual Privy Council meeting after her doctors advised her to rest.

On Tuesday, the queen fulfilled her final official engagement as she swore in Liz Truss as prime minister — the 15th prime minister in her 70-year-long reign. It was the first time the handover took place at Balmoral and not the queen’s official residence of Buckingham Palace, as the queen moved to her retreat in Aberdeenshire during the summer due to ongoing mobility issues.

Upon the announcement, Prince Charles, the former Prince of Wales, has immediately become king. His title will be passed down to his son Prince William, the Duke of Cambridge. However, Charles won’t be officially named until Friday — one day after the death of the monarch.

The queen’s husband, Prince Philip, died at age 99 in April 2021, two years after he retired from his royal duties. He was the oldest-ever male member of the British royal family. He and Queen Elizabeth had four children: Prince Charles, Princess Anne, Prince Andrew and Prince Edward.

In her final months, the queen experienced a number of health setbacks. In February, Buckingham Palace confirmed that she had tested positive for COVID-19. The monarch was moved to “light duties” for the week that followed. In the weeks leading up to her Jubilee celebrations in early June, the 96-year-old took part in fewer public events due to mobility issues and was forced to miss a service celebrating her 70-year reign because of “some discomfort.”

Like Queen Elizabeth II ascended the throne in 1952 when she was just 25 years old. Hers is the longest reign of any monarch in British history. In 2015, she surpassed the record held by her great-great-grandmother Queen Victoria, who spent 62 years on the throne.

This year she celebrated her Platinum Jubilee, making her the second-longest serving monarch in world history, following France’s King Louis XIV, who ruled for 72 years and 110 days.

In those 70 years, Queen Elizabeth II oversaw 15 prime ministers, including Winston Churchill, the World War II statesman, and Margaret Thatcher, Britain’s first female prime minister. Over the seven decades she lived through several historic moments including the Second World War — she was the last surviving head of state to have served in the war — and the independence of over 20 nations in Africa and the Caribbean from the United Kingdom.

The queen also served as monarch during the terms of 13 American presidents and met 12 of them. According to the White House Historical Association, she never met Lyndon Johnson, but her sister Princess Margaret did during an official visit to the White House in 1965.

It has been reported that Prince Charles will become King Charles III — coming after King Charles I, who reigned from 1625 to 1649, and King Charles II who reigned for 25 years from 1660 to 1685. However, the Prince of Wales can choose his own title using any other Christian name from his full name, Charles Philip Arthur George.

The Queen Is Dead, Long Live The King
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

It was an honour to have served you, My Colonel.

God Bless the Queen. God Save the King.
    Chimo

Comment

My condolences to all our friends in The Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland as well as all of her subjects around the Globe.
      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
      Mark Twain

Comment

what a life of duty. a true queen.
        There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Can’t believe they are going to make a MAN Queen now. This woke nonsense has gone too far.

In all seriousness, what a life and witness to history she was.

Comment

As a subject of the crown (not by preference) I'm struggling to feel much about this. She was an impressive lady in her way, and she seemed to do her job well, but I am not a fan of the institution she headed or the obscene wealth her family accrued doing it. Not her fault, but I struggle to separate the person from the institution.

May she rest in peace and may her son be Australia's last monarch.
            sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Gosh - I gotta say I've seen some absolutely vile behaviour today. A mood of jubilation with comments the equal of anything I've read between Russians & Ukrainian at the moment sadly it's across multiple Facebook groups - but unsurprising given how partisan & rabidly rhetorical the political spectrum is at present. A number openly stating they wish they'd lined them up & shot the lot of them.

What scummy times we live in.
              Ego Numquam

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                As a subject of the crown (not by preference) I'm struggling to feel much about this. She was an impressive lady in her way, and she seemed to do her job well, but I am not a fan of the institution she headed or the obscene wealth her family accrued doing it. Not her fault, but I struggle to separate the person from the institution.
                Quite easy for me. She instilled pride and honour into service. As the Colonel-In-Chief of a lot of Commonwealth Regiments, including the Canadian Military Engineers, she sets the example of what service is even when your role is not combat. She was damned proud of us and we, in turn, want to live up to her example.

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                May she rest in peace and may her son be Australia's last monarch.
                No more Hollywood Couples. Please!

Chimo

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                  Quite easy for me. She instilled pride and honour into service. As the Colonel-In-Chief of a lot of Commonwealth Regiments, including the Canadian Military Engineers, she sets the example of what service is even when your role is not combat. She was damned proud of us and we, in turn, want to live up to her example.
                  That is fair enough Sir. We all come to this with different perspectives. I have never had to swear an oath to her like the one you did and I have never felt that I was representing either her or the institution. I respect that you did that and much more and it informs your views.

During adulthood I've never felt any great connection to the monarchy or the Queen. I am happy to acknowledge her impressive reign, but for me it is time to consider leaving the English monarchy for the English and have an Australian head of state.

No more Hollywood Couples. Please!
                  Generations too late for that. The Royals went 'hollywood' when the new King was still in short pants. Not sure there is any going back now.

sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Question: when will all military insignia get swapped out with the King’s crown replacing the Queen’s?

how about uniform items for service members?
                    Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                      Question: when will all military insignia get swapped out with the King’s crown replacing the Queen’s?

how about uniform items for service members?
                      Not in Canada. The name was chosen to honour the person, not the station. The Queen's Own Rifiles was to honour Victoria. The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders remained The Queen's under both WWII Kings.

Chimo

Comment

During adulthood I've never felt any great connection to the monarchy or the Queen. I am happy to acknowledge her impressive reign, but for me it is time to consider leaving the English monarchy for the English and have an Australian head of state.
                        perhaps not the right thread for this, but I have always been fascinated by the vein of Republicanism that runs through Australian politics...as in Republic > Monarchy. from a US perspective, this is archaic in the sense that the US was huge on banging this drum back in the 1890s (and that was a huge reason why US political-military leaders in WWII were always very suspicious of the British).

then the US essentially fell in love with Queen Elizabeth in the 1950s, and since then you'll get pundits talking about the superiority of having a division between the symbolic and political head of state, and Parliamentary democracy, etc...

if I recall correctly, this is why the British Republic stuff mostly fell out of favor in Old Blighty in the '70s.

so from an outside POV, I don't think it's too much of an exaggeration to say that "mum" saved the Monarchy.
                        There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                          Not in Canada. The name was chosen to honour the person, not the station. The Queen's Own Rifiles was to honour Victoria. The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders remained The Queen's under both WWII Kings.
                          Sir, I was thinking more cap badges, pilot wings, etc. I know the crown has been replaced by the maple leaf but just wondered if any of the general insignia have to be changed.
                          Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post

perhaps not the right thread for this, but I have always been fascinated by the vein of Republicanism that runs through Australian politics...as in Republic > Monarchy. from a US perspective, this is archaic in the sense that the US was huge on banging this drum back in the 1890s (and that was a huge reason why US political-military leaders in WWII were always very suspicious of the British).

then the US essentially fell in love with Queen Elizabeth in the 1950s, and since then you'll get pundits talking about the superiority of having a division between the symbolic and political head of state, and Parliamentary democracy, etc...

if I recall correctly, this is why the British Republic stuff mostly fell out of favor in Old Blighty in the '70s.

so from an outside POV, I don't think it's too much of an exaggeration to say that "mum" saved the Monarchy.
                            Also the Queen Mother also was revered for decades which also helped with attitudes.
                            Mark Twain

Comment

I was reminded by a friend on Facebook just now of the incredible gesture Her Majesty extended to we American at a very dark time.

https://youtu.be/ToECtXPMvNM
                              Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X