This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
    The ground looks completely flat, I see no hills or tall buildings. Theoretically, a cruise missile flying @ 50 ft. shouldn't encounter any obstructions over land en route to that airbase.
    Look around the actual target.

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
    I don't know the veracity of this, but Trent Telenko says Neptune has GPS guidance. Which if true, would mean radar guidance is irrelevant.

https://twitter.com/TrentTelenko/sta...17053890060291

"The Neptune anti-ship cruise missile has a back up GPS/Inertial guidance capability for land attack capability like the US Harpoon."
    The GPS is used on the way to the target as a passive guidance mode. It still use downward looking radar to hug the sea. The radar is turned on on its final phase to lock onto the target to home in on. In which case, the surroundibg clutter (doesn't even need to be the tallest one, just hide enough to confuse the system) is still a programming obstacle.

Chimo

Comment

• I hope to hell this part of your link isn't true

USAF officers and airmen at the Stand-off Munitions Activity Center (SMAC) at Barksdale AFB would have spent days putting together an Neptun attack profile to make this strike work.
      This also states that such programing is beyond the Ukrainians without the detailed geographic intel the USAF has access to, I hope we just gave them the data and not involved in the target planning.
      Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 10 Aug 22,, 06:16.
      Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
        Personally, I think we should be giving them ATACMS precisely for that purpose. There are legitimate military and logistical targets past that border. That Russian forces should be invulnerable beyond a line on the map, and be able to rest, re-group, supply, and re-deploy their forces with impunity, is the dumbest thing ever in my opinion. I think our politicians need to stop being chickenshit on this. I'm in full agreement with S2 on this point.
        There's always a point where the Russians could re-group, re-supply, anbd re-deploy with impunity. There's a limit to Ukrainian reach even if we give them ATACMS. Hitler could not stop Stalin from organizing new armies from the Urals and Zelensky has zero hope of reaching Moscow while all of the UKR is within Putin's reach.

But if this was a NEPTUNE strike, it's an extremely risky move. Putin can very well claim a strategic attack on Russian soil and prompt a nuclear response, or an excuse for mass mobilization. In an all in fight, Ukraine stands zero chance.

But all that being said, American goals may not be for Keiv to win (whatever that means) but to keep Russia losing. I mean we could have sent BRADLEYS, LAV IIIs, and LEO IIs/ABRAMS but we're sending M113s and old T-72s/LEO 1s.

Task and Purpose actually looked at what the Americans had used what part of that $58bil committed has been used for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLkgRJqij4k
        Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 10 Aug 22,, 06:20.
        Chimo

Comment

• Well, this puts this to rest.

Ukraine suggests partisans behind blasts at Russian airbase in Crimea - The Globe and Mail

A senior Ukrainian official suggested a series of explosions at a Russian airbase in Crimea could have been the work of partisan saboteurs, as Kyiv denied any responsibility for the incident deep inside Russian-occupied territory.

The adviser to President Volodymyr Zelensky also suggested Russian incompetence as a possible cause of Tuesday’s blasts. They killed one civilian and injured eight, according to the health department in Russia-annexed Crimea.

Huge plumes of smoke could be seen in videos posted on social media from Crimea, a holiday destination for many Russians. Russia annexed the Crimean peninsula from Ukraine in 2014 and used it in February as one of the launch pads for its invasion.

Mykhailo Podolyak, asked by the Dozhd online television channel whether Kyiv was responsible, replied: “Of course not. What do we have to do with this?”

Moscow said the explosions, at least 12 according to witnesses, were detonations of stored ammunition, not the result of any attack....
          Chimo

Comment

• now it's Ukrainian special forces. we'll see....
            There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Keep in mind one thing...prior to 2014 Crimea had been Ukrainian for almost 3 generations. Like military bases the world around I am sure there are plenty of locals who work on the installation. A special operations team could blend in seamlessly amongst the general population and get into the base to conduct direct action operations. Not mention the number of beach camps nearby which could also be used as cover for visiting "tourists".

And these seem to be perfectly placed explosions...nothing for exact that hand emplaced.

Trying not to overthink this.
              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
              Mark Twain

Comment

• Tough call. Ukrainian treachery vs Russian stupidity. I like to believe the former but the latter just feels right.
                Chimo

Comment

• interesting read on the near-destruction of the Russian 64th Seperate Motor Rifle Brigade, infamous for Bucha.

https://twitter.com/kromark/status/1557380744900743168
                  There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Reading varied sources on Twitter that 60+ military and civilians supporting military killed in yesterdays attack, dozens more injured.

I will try to post when I see something more definitive.
                    Mark Twain

Comment

• From LTG(Ret) Hertling...can be dangerous

https://twitter.com/MarkHertling/sta...77416225607682

And fishing can be hazardous in that part of Europe.

https://twitter.com/TpyxaNews/status...EO1gsHK7ggrXJw

Also seeing numerous reports of 100+ km long line of vehicle traffic jammed up trying to leave Crimea and back to Russia. Why are all those Russians leaving? Their government said what happened at the airfield was an accident!
                      Last edited by Albany Rifles; 10 Aug 22,, 18:20.
                      Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                        And fishing can be hazardous in that part of Europe.

https://twitter.com/TpyxaNews/status...EO1gsHK7ggrXJw
                        Oh FFS, you want the blast in the water if you're going to fish with explosives.

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                        Also seeing numerous reports of 100+ km long line of vehicle traffic jammed up trying to leave Crimea and back to Russia. Why are all those Russians leaving? Their government said what happened at the airfield was an accident!
                        Would you take a chance on Russian firefighters putting out that blaze?

Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                          Oh FFS, you want the blast in the water if you're going to fish with explosives.

Would you take a chance on Russian firefighters putting out that blaze?
                          1. Right?! That's exactly my thought, Sir!

2. About as much as the fireman in Fahrenheit 451.
                          Mark Twain

Comment

• Looks like at least half a dozen Sukhoi-24's are now rubble

Before
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	FZ0kXeEX0AA-SZJ.jfif
Views:	159
Size:	226.5 KB
ID:	1591128
                            After
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	FZ0kX0mXoAE1oO7.jfif
Views:	142
Size:	297.3 KB
ID:	1591129
                            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	FZ0m56rXkAIF9yC.png
Views:	159
Size:	529.0 KB
ID:	1591131
                              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Nice airfield you have there, Ivan.

It'd be a shame if something were to happen to it!
                                Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X