Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A -lot- of panicky Russian chatter today about AFU breakthrough around Kherson. Large armor thrust. I am definitely surprised that AFU has the schlitz to go for two big offensives at once…
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
      A -lot- of panicky Russian chatter today about AFU breakthrough around Kherson. Large armor thrust. I am definitely surprised that AFU has the schlitz to go for two big offensives at once…
      If the AFU is able to cause a Kharkiv-scale retreat/mass abandonment of gear in the Kherson region....Don't want to get my hopes up but holy shit that would be a huge one-two punch to the Russian war effort and morale.
      "Donald Trump is the first seditious president in our history. He decided he would not abide by the election, the duly constituted, free election of Joe Biden as the president of the United States, and staged a coup to keep Biden from taking office." ~ Carl Bernstein

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
        A -lot- of panicky Russian chatter today about AFU breakthrough around Kherson. Large armor thrust. I am definitely surprised that AFU has the schlitz to go for two big offensives at once…
        Why? Lessons learned around Kharkov told them what to do. Go Big or Go Home!

Chimo

Comment

• I edited this a few posts earlier-

I'm seeing a report (Kyiv Independent) of Ukrainian forces in Zolota Balka, a small settlement on the west bank of the Dnieper. Important because it aligns with an earlier report of Ukrainian attacks emanating from Novovorontsovka towards both Khreshchenivka and Lyubymivka. These are all small towns on or near the west bank of the Dnieper. Further, T0403 Hwy. follows the west bank all the way to Nova Kakhovka...

...and deep behind the entire length of the Russian defensive network (three lines of defense b.s. talked about last August). Oh...with the Ukrainian left flank secured the entire length of their southward advance by a river that's two miles wide at this point.

The way forward for Russian forces must be with a white flag. The way back would be through choke point barge crossings everybody and his brother too dumb to surrender would be trying to reach.

If so, this could become epically interesting.

In 1992, Ukraine was very much a lackey to the Russians. Not so today.and doubt they'd have any interest in Transdniestran lands short of the forcible ejection/destruction of Russian troops there.
          "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
          "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
            I'm gonna go out on a limb and speculate that Ukrainian tank crews and support personnel are covertly being trained on Western armor, probably Leopard I and II, maybe even the M1 Abrams.
            Maybe, but moving a 70 ton Abrams is no easy task. If it breaks down in the field then moving it can be difficult if you don't have the vehicle which is a modified Abrams. Two, the crew can probably be trained quicker than the crew who maintain the tank's gas turbine and all. Petraeus mentioned just that in a video interview when asked about supplying M1A1. Leopards, being diesel would be an easier fit maintenance wise.

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post

Maybe, but moving a 70 ton Abrams is no easy task. If it breaks down in the field then moving it can be difficult if you don't have the vehicle which is a modified Abrams. Two, the crew can probably be trained quicker than the crew who maintain the tank's gas turbine and all. Petraeus mentioned just that in a video interview when asked about supplying M1A1. Leopards, being diesel would be an easier fit maintenance wise.
              Yeah that's why I'm thinking Leopards of some kind.

Also I don't know how many PT-91s the Poles have transferred but they seem like a fine compromise between old Soviet designs and the latest Western gear.
              "Donald Trump is the first seditious president in our history. He decided he would not abide by the election, the duly constituted, free election of Joe Biden as the president of the United States, and staged a coup to keep Biden from taking office." ~ Carl Bernstein

Comment

• Originally posted by S2 View Post
                In 1992, Ukraine was very much a lackey to the Russians. Not so today.and doubt they'd have any interest in Transdniestran lands short of the forcible ejection/destruction of Russian troops there.
                I have been saying for a while now that the failure of Russia to reach its objectives in this war will ultimately doom Transdniestria. Ukraine isn't going to tolerate Russian troops and a clear Russian target in its rear. I imagine that something will be arranged with Moldova. There is no reason to believe Ukraine wants to keep the territory, and even if it did Ukraine understands that its survival is heavily tied to the goodwill of others. Stealing a bit of Moldova is going to threaten that.
                sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                  Would Keiv be so inclined and would the Moldovans believe her?
                  Well firstly in a case like that 'belief' is in the doing. Transnistria was originally part of Moldova, Ukraine occupying it and then handing it back to them might serve a couple of purposes as far as Ukraine was concerned. One, it removes a potential future launch pad for military operations against it from Russian hands. Two, it curries favor with Moldova (no biggie but it can't hurt) and three it would humiliate Putin.
                  If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Monash View Post
                    Transnistria was originally part of Moldova
                    Technically.... Transnistria was part of the Ukrainian SSR until 1924. Then the Moldavian ASSR was carved from it with the goal of joining the rest of what's now Moldova to it, which happened in 1940. Back in 1924, the population was half Ukrainians.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moldav...alist_Republic
                    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• Reports now that Ukrainian forces have advanced as far south as Dudchany. That's about 25 miles south of Novovorontsovka since early yesterday. This would be significant.
                      "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Reports now that Ukrainian forces have advanced as far south as Dudchany. That's about 25 miles south of Novovorontsovka since early yesterday. This would be significant.
                        May I ask what your source is?
                        If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

Reports now that Ukrainian forces have advanced as far south as Dudchany. That's about 25 miles south of Novovorontsovka since early yesterday. This would be significant.
                          Also if true how the hell did they get there? By which I mean I'm trying to work out where where the breakthrough could have been launched from without requiring the Uki's to bridge the Dnieper.

Comment

• Found this in Forbes Magazine as of 2 hours ago.

Map of advance

Comment

• I've been mentioning it in my posts. This started yesterday about noon local with an attack from Novovorontsovka. Google it and read post#6016.

Comment

• Not sure if the Forbes map is operational objective or that they're now at Beryslav. If so, then this almost certainly would be a multi-brigade attack because another map I've seen indicated that Ukraine branched off- 1.) a shallow encirclement from Novovorontsovka to Lyubymivka and west behind Arkhanhel's'ke and 2.) another, parallel strike oriented generally from Kreschchenivka that seems designed to protect the west flank of the primary advance south.

Objective? Sorta think Nova Kakhovka. Ukraine seems to be moving with great quickness...again.

If initiated from Novovorontsovka, there'd be no need to bridge the Dnieper. What's interesting here is that the entire offensive thingy, if I recall correctly, back in late August began with a failed platoon/company sized Ukrainian attack where seven Ukrainian tanks got whacked. Ukraine subsequently shifted west and captured Vysokopillya with subsequent fighting happening south of there in Arkhanhel's'ke...also now reported captured.

But then they busted in later where they'd been earlier denied.

What's happening here places Ukrainian forces in Russia's operational rear and renders defenses around Davydiv Brid untenable. Worse for Russia, if they capture Nova Kakhovka and can hop the river, it puts the entire Kherson proposition at risk.

This is some crazy shit.
                                Last edited by S2; 03 Oct 22,, 01:06.

Comment

Working...
                                X