The Korean Dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
    For the Colonel: Sir, how much of this new hardware would you estimate to consist of fiberglass and thin-gauge sheet metal mockups?
    Well, all the nukes are. No one is stupid enough to put real rockets in a parade where a someone can damage it inadvertantly. The wheeled 105s are a surprised to me, They look extremely top heavy, prone to tipping when firing on the move.

The gun on the tank look rather small.

What is really surprising is that we still have not seen a large scale military exercise (at least brigade level). They need that more than these dog-and-pony shows.
    Chimo

Comment

• Joe, For your viewing pleasure. North Korean military defectors giving their impressions of the West

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqD...0W9tt-Q/videos
      Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
        Well, all the nukes are. No one is stupid enough to put real rockets in a parade where a someone can damage it inadvertantly. The wheeled 105s are a surprised to me, They look extremely top heavy, prone to tipping when firing on the move.

The gun on the tank look rather small.

What is really surprising is that we still have not seen a large scale military exercise (at least brigade level). They need that more than these dog-and-pony shows.
        Well the wheeled artillery carrier looks like a reworked BTR-90 with box armor added to the flanks and a reworked front end. And with no visible spades that thing is going to rock and roll and lose lay when firing. It may look like a Stryker but....meh. I am sure it does not have the integrated battle management systems Stryker units have.

As for the tanks...Colonel, I think you are right. Those look like standard 115mm tank guns as on the T-62. Not sure about that turret...something just doesn't look right.

I winder how many they have and how well maintained they are....
        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
        Mark Twain

Comment

Joe, For your viewing pleasure. North Korean military defectors giving their impressions of the West

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqD...0W9tt-Q/videos
          Ah yes, I've seen these fellows videos before, very entertaining!
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
            Well the wheeled artillery carrier looks like a reworked BTR-90 with box armor added to the flanks and a reworked front end. And with no visible spades that thing is going to rock and roll and lose lay when firing. It may look like a Stryker but....meh. I am sure it does not have the integrated battle management systems Stryker units have.
            It actually goes to show the NKs don't know crap and are just copiers. The US abandonned the LAV-105 and even the LAV-90 because the chasis can't handle it. That intel is open sourced. Why the hell would you copy a failed project?

Open source says the new tanks are mock ups for POC. I would agree. There are no hook rings for ERA. You're right. Something is just weird about the turret.

Chimo

Comment

• I wonder what these parades do to their annual fuel allocations. Or maybe their fuel allocations exist mostly for these parades.
              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

I wonder what these parades do to their annual fuel allocations. Or maybe their fuel allocations exist mostly for these parades.
                That should all be clear in what, 3 to 6 months? Or about as long as it takes for US and SK reconnaissance assets to get some happy snaps of all that new gear being run through its paces in field exercises. Personally my money is on all or most of it being a 'no show'. Or if it does turn up it does so in numbers so small as to be meaningless (single digits?).

If I had to guess I'd say a lot of the equipment was fake. Remember the infamous Iranian 'stealth fighter' they put on show a few years ago now? The one with the stick on flight control panels? More of the same.
                If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

• The tanks would most certainly be a no show. They're not production models to say the least. No ERA hook rings, The wheeled 105s is a disaster waiting to happen. Several countries, including Russia, tried it. The chasis can't take it unless you use a gun that can't kill tanks but then, what's the point?
                  Chimo

Comment

The tanks would most certainly be a no show. They're not production models to say the least. No ERA hook rings, The wheeled 105s is a disaster waiting to happen. Several countries, including Russia, tried it. The chasis can't take it unless you use a gun that can't kill tanks but then, what's the point?
                    Gonna roll like a sausage when they fire....
                    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                    Mark Twain

Comment

• The Kim has declared the latest 5-Year Plan an utter failure. Unprecedented to even question that all targets were exceeded. Something is going on...
                      Trust me?
                      I'm an economist!

Comment

• Originally posted by DOR View Post
                        The Kim has declared the latest 5-Year Plan an utter failure. Unprecedented to even question that all targets were exceeded. Something is going on...
                        He's trying to be a relatable man-of-the-people, not so much the untouchable god-figure that his grandfather and (kinda like) his father.

Comment

He's trying to be a relatable man-of-the-people, not so much the untouchable god-figure that his grandfather and (kinda like) his father.
                          Or there's a new US Administration in the offing and he wants to show them how 'reasonable' and willing to compromise he is i.e. the same old game.
                          If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Monash View Post
                            Or there's a new US Administration in the offing and he wants to show them how 'reasonable' and willing to compromise he is i.e. the same old game.
                            Close. Uncle Xi, I fucked up going to Trump. I'm sorry. Can you lend me some money again? Same old game. Daddy KIJ pissed off Deng going off to Yeltsin, coming back with hat in hand. Granddaddy did the same with Mao and Brezhnev.

God I'm old.
                            Chimo

Comment

Close. Uncle Xi, I fucked up going to Trump. I'm sorry. Can you lend me some money again? Same old game....
                              Or on further thought, all three strategies combined since they're not mutually exclusive by any means. So he's trying to be relatable for domestic consumption, Binden might just (unlikely) be more gullible than Trump & trying to cosy up to China again. And so the wheel goes round one more time.

Comment

• Trump offered Kim Jong Un a ride home on Air Force One after their second summit, new series reveals

Former President Donald Trump offered North Korean leader Kim Jong Un a ride home on Air Force One after the two met for a second time at a summit in Hanoi, Vietnam, in 2019, a new BBC documentary has revealed.

The three-part series, titled "Trump Takes On the World," discloses new details about how Trump and Kim negotiated North Korea's nuclear program, which eventually ended without a deal.

Trump, who had left the meeting abruptly, told the press at the time: "Sometimes you just have to walk."

But the former president didn't leave without making an unusual offer first.

"President Trump offered Kim a lift home on Air Force One," Matthew Pottinger, the top Asia expert on Trump's National Security Council, told the BBC.

"The president knew that Kim had arrived on a multi-day train ride through China into Hanoi and the president said: 'I can get you home in two hours if you want.' It was a gracious gesture," he added.

Kim declined the offer, according to Pottinger.

The BBC series also includes an interview with Trump's former national security advisor John Bolton, who was present at the summit.

Bolton said that as they drove to the meeting, Trump was confident that he could forge a deal once he was in the room with Kim.

"Trump obviously thought he had a new best friend in Kim Jong Un," Bolton, who has since fallen out with Trump, said, according to the Sunday Times. "Trump thought that US-North Korea relations were great because he and Kim were buddies. It's a very dangerous perception."

Kim and Trump ended up meeting for a third and last time in the Korean demilitarized zone three months later but there was no further progress.

The pair had a complicated relationship during Trump's four years as president.

Trump had called North Korea's leader a "Little Rocket Man" and made threats of "fire and fury" but later suggested they were very good friends, and even described him as "a very smart guy," according to the BBC.

"Trump Takes on the World," directed by Tim Stirzaker, will be broadcast on BBC2 on Wednesday.

Never mind the click bait title, the meat is in Bolton's quote. It shows how dangerously naďve and stupid Donald Trump is.

About the only thing he did right was walk away.

Comment

Working...
                                X