The Korean Dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
    There is no Korean dilema. It's the failure of the successive governments of the US, and Chinese duplicity. I am not bringing in the UK and EU, because lately these countries are more concerned about human rights and climate change than do anything serious on the world stage.

NK please don't test a nuke. Nuke tested. NK, please, please do not test a nuke again. Nuke tested again. NK, we'll put sanctions and China please help. Nuke tested again. This is not the way to treat a rouge country. If Irans' nuke program was taken on an urgent basis, why not NKs? Because of Chinese assurance? Pak, China have been making a fool of the US administration for decades, so much that it's not even funny anymore.

How many people died in the WWs'? How many people die everyday from road accidents? Malaria kills more every year.

There will always be casulties. The issue here is the right thing to do. Is bombing Nk the right thing? Maybe, I don't know. But I know this, when US drops the first bomb in NK, thousands will flee towards the border to SK and China. There would be many deserters among NKs' military too. We talk about casulty figures, do we even know if those NKoreans would hold ground and fight? The NKs have dug trenches all through and would use heavy artillery, ok, but how many would stay and load those shells, and fight for Kim knowing fully well they would be obliterated by US firepower?

The articles which come up with these kind of casulty figures and other epic BS urging for restraint is Chinese propaganda. Even yesterday the Pak FO said they do not have any terrorists on their soil, while Pak DM said the opposite. And if NK refugees flood the Chinese border, let China deal with it. The Chinese have made a lot of money ripping countries around the globe. It's time for the Chinese to take some damn responsibility, when the source of this tension is China itself.
    Do the South Koreans get a say?

Comment

• Originally posted by snapper View Post
      Not when US security is threatened. What do you think?
      Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• I rather think they should have a say. You see how the same principle might apply in Ukraine?

Comment

I rather think they should have a say. You see how the same principle might apply in Ukraine?
          Ofcourse SK, and even Japan would have a say before any military action is decided.

The point here is not say per se. Say has been going on for a decade. Say achieved 6 nuke tests from a country openly threatening to use nukes. SK can have a say again not to use force and live with a nuclear armed rouge regime forever. But the US and India, both, have learnt their lesson by letting Pak go nuclear, which too openly advocates using its nuclear arsenal.

The other thing is the aftermath. What happens to the civilians. How does a smooth transition take place. How much money would it take to rebuild a united Korea etc. War scenario, strategy, tactics, logistics and China and Russia have probably been discussed already by the Pentagon. It's just a go, no-go decision.

I am not following the Ukraine thread for sometime now.
          Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• At the request of a member, I've added a poll to this thread. Feel free to suggest additional options.

I put this in a PM to that member and I thought it would add to the discussion here:

Appeasement is actually the last thing I would want with North Korea. The idea of somehow "bribing" Kim and his gang with anything makes me want to throw up.
            I agree completely: Appeasement simply won't work. I don't think we should give one grain of rice or one thimble-full of oil to North Korea in exchange for anything.
            For one thing, it won't have any sort of positive effect on the situation, nor will be of any benefit to the millions of suffering civilians in the DPRK.

The problem with preemptive military action is:
            The massed tube and rocket artillery batteries that have Seoul in their sights,
            The natural and manmade geography of North Korea,
            The staggering amounts of chemical and biological stocks that the DPRK possesses and finally,
            The probable reactions from China and Russia.
            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Sure do miss South Korean input in this debate. Up here the media has been strangely quite in this regard.
              Last night one station ran a minutes bit, with man-on-the street interviews from Seoul SK, and that been it.
              Tiny Kim and Trump hurling invectives at each other and talking heads and leaders from around the world has dominated.
              And yet, not much from the people living at ground zero.
              When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow. - Anais Nin

Comment

• 18 years ago....

Comment

• DE, I don't think this video is 18 years old. NK tested its first nuke in 2006. I agree with Mr. Presidents' view though.

Comment

• Then you also agree that if it couldn't be done then that now is too late ?

Book came out in 2000

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_America_We_Deserve

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                      Then you also agree that if it couldn't be done then that now is too late ?

Book came out in 2000

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_America_We_Deserve
                      Damn!

Agree what?

Edit: It's not too late. How many working nukes do the NKs have? 1, 2? Certainly not more than 5. They can be taken out. Their missiles can't reach the US now. But the window to disarm NK is ending fast.

Also sanctions never work. China will find a way to smuggle oil into NK to keep them running, and the elites in NK don't care if the poor sleep on an empty stomach. The link that Citanon gave, the video is there in Youtube, watch it when you have time.

If China is sanctioned for having trade ties with NK (90% of NKs trade is with China), then it will slowdown the program, not end it. But this again will wreck the markets worldwide and another recession would befall all of us. So sanctioning China would not be on Trumphs mind, use of force would.
                      Last edited by Oracle; 10 Sep 17,, 03:32.

Comment

• I am with TopHatter here. Try everything - cyber, diplomatic, assassination whatever first but if the end it has to be done do it in an overkill manner. Even then the damage would be horrendous and bill afterwards make the Marshall Fund look stingy. War is hell on earth, if it can be averted it should be, if not get it done quick.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                          Damn!

Agree what?
                          There will be nothing left if you do it now..straight out of the horses mouth

Comment

• Originally posted by Amled View Post
                            Sure do miss South Korean input in this debate. Up here the media has been strangely quite in this regard.
                            Last night one station ran a minutes bit, with man-on-the street interviews from Seoul SK, and that been it.
                            Tiny Kim and Trump hurling invectives at each other and talking heads and leaders from around the world has dominated.
                            And yet, not much from the people living at ground zero.
                            Their choice of president for SK who they recently voted for ?

Comment

• Tough Is Not Enough | 38 North | Sept 4 2017

The key to a successful effort to deal with the North Korean threat without war is

- a combination of military deterrence,
                              - sanctions,
                              - a complex diplomatic offensive with clear and realistic short-term goals,
                              - and perhaps most importantly, a disciplined, clear public elucidation of US deterrence and diplomatic policy for Korea.

The “tough” part of this approach (military deterrence and sanctions) is well within the reach of the Trump administration.

Whether it has the personnel, structure and capacity for discipline for the diplomatic and public components of the effort is yet unproven.
                              Think hybrid not binary

Comment

• Before launching a diplomatic offensive Trump needs to flesh out his diplomats. He has to mend relations between the US & ROK first. Then they have to get to work in the region.

Any talk of pre-emptive strike is way way off in the distance though this will be used by diplomats to get the norks to see some reason

Decoupling is back in Asia : Why the 1960s playbok won't work | WOTR | Sept 7 2017

Nuclear strategists are fond of saying that allied assurance is harder to achieve than deterrence. Deterrence requires the United States to influence North Korea’s willingness to attack, but assurance also requires it to convince its allies that it is has accomplished this effectively, with their security dependent on these U.S. guarantees. This is no easy feat, and yet decoupling fears are as old as ICBMs themselves. While McNamara’s playbook may not hold all the answers, some progress can be made through the concerted application of diplomatic will. Of late, this has been in devastatingly short supply, but if ever there were a time to summon it, it is at the end of North Korea’s nuclear summer.
                                am beginning to question whether NK's timing really was aimed at Xi or the US

Between July 4th, when it tested its first ICBM, and Labor Day weekend, when it detonated its sixth nuclear bomb — possibly a thermonuclear weapon — North Korea has presented the United States and the world with a new strategic reality.
                                Last edited by Double Edge; 08 Sep 17,, 20:20.

Comment

Working...
                                X