Border face-off: China and India each deploy 3,000 troops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
    Deter what? It was a kung fu fight. The BIGGEST THING about "deterrence is not warfighting" is to keep things in perspective. Is 100 Chinese nukes enough to deter American 10,000? Maybe. And that's good enough for the Chinese. This was a kung fu fight with neither side bringing even light arms into it, meaning deterrence has worked. Neither side is resorting to a force of arms.
    Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
    That's good to hear but there's still a lot of people facing each other right now.
    I'll give you a chance to reword.

Deterrence has worked ? yes

Will it continue to hold ? don't know

AIM thinks we're due for a second round of violent clashes because..

- China has refused to publicly acknowledge its war dead. Bad for troops morale.
    - they will want to avenge that we killed more of them and certainly injured more of them

He's convinced they are planning a second round of violent clashes

The question is will it remain kung fu and or with accessories.

If so then what you said holds otherwise not.

We will see
    Last edited by Double Edge; 16 Jul 20,, 19:17.

Comment

• Oh for Pete sakes. It was a kung fu fight! A brawl! Who in their right mind expected DIA in a brawl? If I want to inflict casualties, hand-to-hand combat ain't it. You want to know when things get serious? When they start manning machine gun nests and not one second before.

AIM talks out of his butt! Sees things that aren't there. Why the hell should China do what you want? And why does it matter? Words do not change the situation on the ground. Boots on the ground change the situation on the ground. And even if China says something about casualties, I'll bet you 10 to 1 that AIM would be saying that China is lying. Read the freaking ground! Not the newspapers!
      Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 16 Jul 20,, 20:48.
      Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
        You'd think we'd have built one of our own by now instead of shopping for one in the open market.

What with all the work on the Arjun. How hard would it have been to develop a lighter version for the mountains.
        Arjun was overweight when first designed and built. It had to be chopped and made lighter to be of any use. It couldn't even cross some bridges on the interiors.

I really wonder why this option was not considered.
        T-72 tanks were sent by rail & road initially to Leh. Why light tanks were not considered most probably was because of the Congress' diktat to make do with what the Army had.
        Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Good list of recommendations

‘Plug Structural, Operational Gaps & Keep a Hawk Eye On China’ | SNG | Jul 17 2020

Bolton thinks India can expect something disconnected six months from now

Comment

• Govt's 'cowardly' actions will further embolden China: Rahul Gandhi on LAC row

Well your family sold Aksai China, Shaksgam Valley, PoK, Tibet to the CPC, so there it goes.

Huawei, Alibaba, Tencent among 7 Chinese firms with links to Chinese army operating in India
            Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• First read this, Lessons from history. Then this, The Battle of Namka Chu, October 20, 1962.

Second page of the above document, we have 'The Longju incident of August 25, 1959, followed by Kongka La on October 21, 1959, brought in a trust deficit that continues till date as at Doka La.' Stop, and read this, Kongka La incident. Now, continue with The Battle of Namka Chu, October 20, 1962. Lastly, 1962 – The Battle of Namka Chu and Fall of Tawang (A View from Other Side of the Hill).

Pakistan was reigned in by President Kennedy, though much more needs to be digged about it. China got assurances that US, USSR would not interfere and create a multi-front war. So the whole media blitzkrieg of US support for India during the 1962 war was a hogwash? My head is spinning.

Comment

• *** clap, clap, clap ***

Bravo Gen Sandhu. Bravo.

The first Indian publication that I've seen who took the effort to name Chinese Regts and their COs. I salute you, Sir, for a well research topic. Bravo, Sir, Bravo.
                Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                  Pakistan was reigned in by President Kennedy, though much more needs to be digged about it. China got assurances that US, USSR would not interfere and create a multi-front war. So the whole media blitzkrieg of US support for India during the 1962 war was a hogwash? My head is spinning.
                  No, and i've no idea why you think that.

I read an account recently that said they wanted the defense minister (Krishna Menon) replaced and after that the weapons came in.

Nitin's recently covered US - India intel collaboration going back to that period.

Who knew we allowed U2's to spy over Lop Nor : )
                  Last edited by Double Edge; 20 Jul 20,, 20:27.

Comment

No, and i've no idea why you think that.

I read an account recently that said they wanted the defense minister (Krishna Menon) replaced and after that the weapons came in.

Nitin's recently covered US - India intel collaboration going back to that period.

Who knew we allowed U2's to spy over Lop Nor : )
                    What I said above comes from the articles I posted.

I have read many things on the 1962 war. Many journalists/authors/defence personnel, writing articles, one doesn't conforming with the other. So let's clear up things here once and for all.

Give me a chronology of the events that happened during the 1962 war vis-a-vis US/Russia/Pakistan. Did we get some bullets from the US? Maybe some bombs? What?

I was wrong about Nehru's forward policy too. Forward policy took effect after the clashes of 1959. It was defensive. But the Chinese made it look like we were the aggressors, which the CPC is trying very much now (Galwan clashes) but their only success is within China.

Henderson-Brook's report is tilted in favour of China. Someone said that. Fine. What about IA's own assessment of that war. Why is the BJP government not releasing it even now? What are we hiding? Incompetencies galore during that period. Isn't 1962 a good enough stick to beat the Congress dead with.
                    Last edited by Oracle; 21 Jul 20,, 03:48.

Comment

• Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Now why would the Aussies be echoing what we're thinking already

Reading the ground OOE ?
                        Last edited by Double Edge; 21 Jul 20,, 07:43.

Comment

• N 38.26539 E 105.95054

Stick those coords into google earth

How PLA wargamed on huge Ladakh model inside China | IT | Jul 17 2020

https://twitter.com/rajfortyseven/st...55410596003840

Comment

AIM thinks we're due for a second round of violent clashes because..

- China has refused to publicly acknowledge its war dead. Bad for troops morale.
                            - they will want to avenge that we killed more of them and certainly injured more of them

He's convinced they are planning a second round of violent clashes
                            The point is, where will the next mischief be? I'm guessing Bhutan. Bhutan specifically, as we don't have an offensive position there (I hope I'm wrong here). And it would take at least a week for the IA to get things in order there. Enough time for China to pull back after they've done some killing and P4 asking for restraint.

Comment

• Gunboat diplomacy: In ’71 the United States tried to threaten India, now it’s backing it

Comment

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                                The point is, where will the next mischief be? I'm guessing Bhutan. Bhutan specifically, as we don't have an offensive position there (I hope I'm wrong here). And it would take at least a week for the IA to get things in order there. Enough time for China to pull back after they've done some killing and P4 asking for restraint.
                                We've got a strong position at the tri junction. They would choose a different area.

If we follow the Galwan idea, they will try to pick a spot where they think our infrastructure gives us an advantage and try to counter it.

We were late last time due to the pandemic and troops were not available in the area.

Comment

Working...
                                X