No announcement yet.

Border face-off: China and India each deploy 3,000 troops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ITBP personnel, civilians push back Chinese soldiers in civilian clothes at Chanthang in Ladakh
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Really weak info here. How does anyone know that they were soldiers? Nobody asked for ID and none of them were armed. That the locals can talk to them and I doubt it was in Mandarin would indicate that these Chinese at least lived in the area long enough to learn the local language ... which would at best makes them militia or PAP.

That they're arguing over grazing rights would indicate that these are locals. I really doubt anyone not local could recognize who's cow belonged to whom.
      Chimo

Comment

• ^ They could be PLA or PAP in civilian clothes or civilians from the Chinese side, but whatever, there was no firing and that's good. What militia are you talking about? Locals there have yaks, I don't think they have cows.

I am at a loss of words. It was 8 degrees Celsius yesterday, and so cold. How do they manage to live at -40 degree Celsius temperature. Thinking of the time spent in London during winter, still gives me the chills, I used to be so depressed due to the weather there.

Btw, Times of India just gives out information as it is, it doesn't do any investigative journalism. I read it only for current affairs.
        Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
          What militia are you talking about?
          Weekend warriors (40-50 training days of the year) or thugs with a cap badge. Take your pick.

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
          I am at a loss of words. It was 8 degrees Celsius yesterday, and so cold.
          T-shirt weather.

How do they manage to live at -40 degree Celsius temperature.
          Dress appropriately. -40C is non-exposed skin clothing. Don't expose skin or it will freeze.

Btw, Times of India just gives out information as it is, it doesn't do any investigative journalism. I read it only for current affairs.
          I take it as raw intel but the Chinese soldiers conclusion doesn't make sense. So, you ask questions not really expecting an answer but leave the questions out there to be answer when more intel is available. As it stands, I would interrupt this as a dispute between neighbours that just happen to cross an international border.

Chinese soldiers would not be crossing the border to discuss grazing speaking in the local language since obviously the Indian side don't speak Mandarin.
          Chimo

Comment

• Revisiting the dam announcement that was made in the communist weekly at the beginning of the month. The three guests say to treat the 17 odd dams on the Yarlung seriously and not to dismiss it. China might not have the capacity or ability to build them now but when they do they will go ahead.

We will have to develop counter leverages in case they do not take our concerns into account. This will require reaching a national consensus on how to deal with the Chinese first and foremost as there is still dissent there and then a clear definition of red lines has to be announced.

China says these are just run of the river dams but that is neither here or there when it comes to trusting what they say. The present Zhangmu is just that but we don't know what the others they have planned will be like.
            Last edited by Double Edge; 21 Dec 20,, 16:02.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
              ^ Canada has become a joke under Justin Bieber
              See how the foreign office behaved.

They think it would be a good idea to go ahead. That is AFTER Meng Zhou and the two Canadians are in custody.

They know once the military pulled the plug that would be the end of it but they had to make an objection to make their lives easier with their Chinese counterparts.

We can expect similar from Jaishankar or any other foreign minister except Pompeo.

Jaishankar has been playing this down right from the start, he does accept that relations have been seriously damaged but he always expects things can be brought back on track.
              Last edited by Double Edge; 21 Dec 20,, 16:04.

Comment

• Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                CDS Gen Vance allowed Chinese observers in last year's Winter Warfare training but he absolutely refused to allow Chinese troops to participate in this year's Winter Warfare exercise.

But frankly I am at a loss why China needs to come to Canada for Winter Warfare training. If there is a master of Winter Warfare, it's the Russians and it has nothing to do with the men.
                Yeah i'm stumped by that bit as well. It's not like it does not get cold up in the north of China. Why would they need to train in Canada.

It was being portrayed as to be used against India in the mountains. But then the Chinese also have mountains to train with too.

Comment

• Not a whole lot happening here, would have been good if they bothered to put in some subtitles though

Some comments thinking this video was not taken now because there isn't any snow.

Well, Ladakh is on the leeward side and is a desert. It's not supposed to snow there much.

The Karakoram pass isn't snowed in at this time of the year either.

Does not mean it never snows there just not that much as the below video shows

Some winters can be dry

Last edited by Double Edge; 21 Dec 20,, 17:53.

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                    It was being portrayed as to be used against India in the mountains. But then the Chinese also have mountains to train with too.
                    CFBs Valcartier, Petawawa, Gageotwn, and Suffield are not mountainous. They represent the Fulda Gap more than anything else. The only thing I can think off is the Chinese are trying to learn Winter Warfare reccee and masking but again, the Russians are more keen to that than we are.

Chimo

Comment

• Changthang is one of the winter homes of the Changpa nomads. The young don't want the hard life of their elders so move to the town and cities. Result is fewer people out there. Only the school dropouts go back to the nomadic way of life.

Fewer people means fewer to report and easier to encroach.

They are checking out the area to see what the reception is like.
                      Last edited by Double Edge; 21 Dec 20,, 20:00.

Comment

CDS Gen Vance allowed Chinese observers in last year's Winter Warfare training but he absolutely refused to allow Chinese troops to participate in this year's Winter Warfare exercise.

But frankly I am at a loss why China needs to come to Canada for Winter Warfare training. If there is a master of Winter Warfare, it's the Russians and it has nothing to do with the men.
                        Maybe the Russians are scared that if they train them, the Chinese will one day use that training to gobble territory in eastern Russia. At least the Canadians don't have to worry about that.

Comment

• Usually we hear how China can effect other countries. Well, it happens the other way too.

60% of China's coal and 80% of iron ore imports come from Australia

Aussies done their sums but which idiot in the CCP thought of sanctioning coal imports from Australia

Solidarity

WTH isn't India in that group !!!
                          Last edited by Double Edge; 24 Dec 20,, 19:04.

Comment

• Originally posted by Firestorm View Post
                            Maybe the Russians are scared that if they train them, the Chinese will one day use that training to gobble territory in eastern Russia. At least the Canadians don't have to worry about that.
                            As the old axiom goes, amateurs think tactics and strategy. Professionals think logistics. Russian expertise in Winter Warfare lies in logistics and engineering. That they built armoured invasion routes into Afghanistan during Winter demonstrates what is actually needed.

Given the China Army is stationed 100 miles behind the Sino-Russo border meaning that they have to extend their own LOCs just to the border, the Chinese got a long way to go before they even get within range of the 1st shot.

Despite what is happening on the Sino-Indo border, the Chinese are nowhere close to being an offensive force. At best, they are a punitive force.

Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                              WTH isn't India in that group !!!
                              Because like everything else, India absolutely sucks when it comes to propaganda, ie marketting their own unique wines.

Chimo

Comment

Because like everything else, India absolutely sucks when it comes to propaganda, ie marketting their own unique wines.
                                Don't know what the story about the wines is but the simple question was about membership in IPAC

https://ipac.global/team/

Uganda has a presence there.

Notice how both sides of the aisle are represented for most countries.

https://ipac.global/statement/

Nothing in their statement that should trouble India, on the contrary a lot of things to agree with if not every thing
                                Last edited by Double Edge; 26 Dec 20,, 11:32.

Comment

Working...
                                X