Border face-off: China and India each deploy 3,000 troops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
    Take it you never tango with a skunk before.
    Skunk is not native to India, but I know it's spray got a bad smell. But why do the PLA detest pig urine? Any historical or mythological reasons?
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Never smelled pig urine either, did you. Every year, farmers used pig urine and manure to fertilze their fields. Every year, Ottawa complains of the smell drifting in from the farmlands. You can patrol the route but you also want to get the hell out of there real fast.
      Chimo

Comment

Never smelled pig urine either, did you. Every year, farmers used pig urine and manure to fertilze their fields. Every year, Ottawa complains of the smell drifting in from the farmlands. You can patrol the route but you also want to get the hell out of there real fast.
        No. I never thought there would come a day when I'd have wanted this experience of smelling pig urine. My friends have pigsty at their property, but they keep it clean mostly, so I guess that smell never reached me. I mostly eat pig, but damn, now I want to smell it.
        Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• ^We're all front line states

KIller line !

More people need to appreciate this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
              ^We're all front line states

KIller line !

More people need to appreciate this point.
              We did. It was called the Cold War.
              Chimo

Comment

We did. It was called the Cold War.
                In India i mean. For Indians to accept it. Pompeo said something we're either not aware of or are unwilling to accept

The way the anchor framed the question, if we do x,y we will become a front line state implies we don't think we are one yet.

If you have 5 PLA divisions on your doorstep then what are we ?

Here's a line from Rishabh

In sheer military terms, the only people who have actually stood up, faced them down, fought them off and done reciprocal and proportionate action is India.

See what Oracle says...

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                They did. We'll not fight America's war. That is abundantly clear for the past 7 decades. We'll try to absorb some of the supply chains, US MNCs have in China and want to diversify. Even though we're in the Quad, India keeps repeating that Quad is not against any country. America has the means and can win this fight against China, they don't need our help, and frankly we can't help much other than amassing troops on our Northern-NE border. Now, if US needs an excuse, and the CPC is stupid enough to give them one, the PLA will start a war with India/Taiwan etc. I don't comfort any positive thoughts from the communists though.
                America's war. Is that an Indian line. it's a Non aligned line. It's certainly an opposition line. It's also China's line.

For China -- India, Australia & Japan have no agency and are just doing America's bidding.

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post

Obviously, it was at American insistence that the PLA move into Galwan. It was under American orders that the altercation at Galwan took place resulting in the loss of life for Indian soldiers

This was all the handiwork of Trump & Pompeo

The US stands accused of violating the norms of international relations and basic principles of diplomacy

The govt can't come out and say it because they will get slammed for making us one. Did they ?

All through these past years they asserted Indian sovereignty. We loudly supported and cheered them on.

If I say we are a front line state i will get called either a warmonger, an American agent or a salesman for the American military industrial complex.

We're either not aware or unwilling to accept we are a front line state !!
                Last edited by Double Edge; 02 Nov 20,, 23:38.

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                  Here's a line from Rishabh
                  Says someone with zero knowledge of CCP military history. Korean War. Vietnam War. Sino-Soviet Border Conflict .Spratley Island Naval Conflict. 1st and 2nd Sino-VN Wars. Compare to those, the India Frontier is just a sandbox.
                  Chimo

Comment

• He means in the present context. How many deaths from other countries facing China's military so far

Comment

• How many Chinese fishing boats have been sunk?
                      Chimo

Comment

• This fight is not over inconsequential rocks. It might seem that way but it matters where those "rocks" are and what advantage can be obtained by the Chinese if they control them. If getting access to those rocks allows the Chinese to threaten vital logistical nodes and supply lines, then it is important to make sure that does not happen. Otherwise we could have used the same logic to let the Pakistanis keep the Kargil heights as well. They were also just "rocks" after all.

If the Chinese could have captured the heights south of Pangong Tso, Chushul and the DSDBO road would be under direct threat. And if that can be interdicted or captured, Indian troops at DBO, Depsang and surrounding areas could be cut off and those areas lost. No different than when the Srinagar-Leh highway was under threat during the Kargil war. And unlike before, with the current build up, the Chinese do actually have enough forces in the region to at least attempt something like this. The IA's subsequent heavy deployment in the region and unprecedented preparations to keep the troops supplied through the winter are to deter such an action. They learned their lesson after Kargil. It may be expensive in monetary terms now but we will avoid paying the price in lives later.
                        Last edited by Firestorm; 02 Nov 20,, 22:55.

Comment

How many Chinese fishing boats have been sunk?
                          I don't know but that is a militia not China military

Comment

• Originally posted by Firestorm View Post
                            This fight is not over inconsequential rocks. It might seem that way but it matters where those "rocks" are and what advantage can be obtained by the Chinese if they control them. If getting access to those rocks allows the Chinese to threaten vital logistical nodes and supply lines, then it is important to make sure that does not happen.
                            And 100 miles of Chinese border territory vis-a-vi the Sino-Soviet/Russian border are absolutely inconsequential. Again, no one is talking appeasement nor allowing the Chinese to do as they please but to pick your battles. As of right now, India is reacting to Chinese moves rather than initiating action.

Again, using the Sino-Soviet border example, the Chinese did not give Moscow 100 miles of territory. That 100 miles was vital to hopefully stretch the Soviet Army LOCs to the breaking point.

Originally posted by Firestorm View Post
                            Otherwise we could have used the same logic to let the Pakistanis keep the Kargil heights as well. They were also just "rocks" after all.
                            I remind you that was precisely what the Indian Army wanted done. Cross into Pakistani territory, cut their LOCs and starve them out or more presiley, dehydrate them out.

The primary axiom of maneuver warfare is force on weak, not force on strong. The PRIMARY aim of Deep Battle is to destroy the reserves, NOT the main force. By that regard, I could not be bothered about what front line Chinese troops are doing. I'd be thinking where is their CP/HQ (and hence where their reserves are) and how do I get to it.

Pick your battles. A brawl ain't it.
                            Chimo

Comment

• ^ Logistics again. Hmmmm!

China is a resourceful country. Even if the IAF destroys (hypothetically) Chinese CP/HQ, they would be up in no time. On top of that air-defence. Unless we have men on the ground that can stop the PLA in resuming their supply chains, this won't achieve any objective.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                                ^ Logistics again. Hmmmm!

China is a resourceful country. Even if the IAF destroys (hypothetically) Chinese CP/HQ, they would be up in no time. On top of that air-defence. Unless we have men on the ground that can stop the PLA in resuming their supply chains, this won't achieve any objective.
                                Landlsides take time to clear. Their lines are tenuous and the terrain is tough.

What the Colonel says works only if we develop an offensive mindset.

How's that mountain strike corps coming along. When will we complete it. Will we raise more.

Time to move to Offensive Defense from Defensive Offense
                                Last edited by Double Edge; 03 Nov 20,, 15:19.

Comment

Working...
                                X